Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
SLR Magic 2x ANAMORPHIC lens
  • Dear All,

We have received 4 email requests from members of this forum on the possibility of designing an Anamorphic lens. We had this thought for the past year and did a lot of research. There is one common request which is to have horizontal flares. The others requests did not have any common grounds. We came up with an idea for a 25mm f/3.2 1.35x or 35mm f/3.2 1.35x Anamorphic lens for micro four thirds. Shooting at 16:9 would give a 2.40:1 anamorphic output. Just before we decided to go ahead with the project we had a second thought. 2 Years ago we asked openly on dpreview.com forum for what photographers wanted and the general consensus was our SLR Magic HyperPrime 12mm T1.6 lens.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=36104678

It did not fulfill the needs and wants of everyone but we made what most people agreed on by means of a discussion. It ended up being a popular lens that we still are having problems meeting demand and we think it had a big part to do with asking photographers. If we did not ask around we probably made a 12mm f/2.8 lens. As it turned out quite well last time we want to make our next lens an open discussion again.

Here are some of the possible options we received and please feel free to throw in extra ideas. I hope people experienced with shooting in Anamorphic can also throw in ideas.

Anamorphic Adapter (1.33x, 1.5x, 1.75x, 2x) Dedicated mFT Anamorphic adapter for reasonable size Anamorphic adapter compatible with FF lenses 50mm f/2.8 Anamorphic lens (FF, APS-C, or mFT) Expected MSRP (Sad fact but it as direct correlation to IQ)

Kind rgds., SLR Magic Team

P.S. We will be at Photokina 2012 and would like to welcome any cinematographers with Anamorphic lens ideas to drop by our booth for idea exchange! We will be in Hall 3.1 B059

• 804 Replies sorted by
  • A short video using the SLR Magic 2x Anamorphot adapter on the Panasonic 35-100mm G X Vario f/2.8, half recorded internally with V-Log L, half with the Natural profile.

• I find this better for single focus anamorphic solution :

• This might sole the problem shooting with anamorphic projection lenses

• Shot with SLR Magic 2X anamorphot. Different taking lenses. Diopters used.

• I found the anamorphic worked best with the Panasonic-Leica 25mm F1.4 at F2.8 or F4. The Voigtlander 25mm F0.95 is a tad sharper even, and pretty usable at F2.0. The Lumix 20mm pancake is also a good match especially at F2.8 and pleasingly compact, bringing the anamorphic closer to the camera body for better balance. However at 20mm the anamorphot does begin to vignette even in 4:3 or 1:1 mode on the GH4’s crop sensor.

http://www.eoshd.com/2015/02/slr-magic-2x-anamorphic-anamorphot-on-the-panasonic-gh4-43/

• Ive used a few brands of anamorphic lenses and 50mm base lens is the limit for a APS-C (canon 7D) ect and C-300 but for a GH2 / GH4 my Guesstimate would be minimum....35mm-40mm-ish, i still need to get my hands on a 30mm and try it as i am currently thinking of what way to go to get WIDER/bigger field of view with my anamorphic on my GH4 (because of the crop factor)....a field of view closer to what i got with my Canon 7D. I do like the idea of the SLR magic anamorphic BUT it still requires dioptors. My favorite anamorphic lens at the moment is my 10 Tonne Carl Zeiss Anamorphic absolute stunning clean glass inside...i need a long lens holder just to use the blooming thing..Still need Diopters for Close ups :

My next anamorphic video test is my Pin Sharp ISCO Ultrastar...all shot in 4k shot all the footage just got to splice it all together and upload. Ive also shot lots of 4k stuff with my recently bought Sankor 16D anamorphic...that keeps a narrow-er Hollywood looking depth of field than the ISCO ultrastar...

• GH4 25fps 4K Photo Mode, retail version of the SLR Magic 2x Anamorphot

• samsung_nx573.jpg
    605 x 605 - 49K
  • check Voldemorts lair... may differ on GH4

.Sigma 18-35mm F1.8

With this lens on the standard Super 16mm 2.88x crop sensor of the Pocket Cinema Camera the Anamorphot covers the entire range from 18-35mm with no vignetting and is very sharp at F2.8.

When paired with the BMPCC Speed Booster (1.74x crop equivalent) the Anamorphot 50 covers perfectly at the 35mm end but vignettes at 18mm to 24mm.

• It seems that the SLR Magic 1.33x Anamorphot is the best Anamorphic adapter out there right now for indie filmmakers on a budget. The two most popular lenses used with the Metabones SpeedBooster on the Panasonic GH4 are the Tokina (77mm front filter thread) and the Sigma 18-35mm (72mm front filter thread). According to SLR Magic, it will only work on lenses in which the front element has a maximum diameter of less then 50mm, and based on those lens specs, they are both at 49mm front element diameter. Has anyone put the Anamorphot on either of those lenses and checked for vignetting? 49 is really close to 50, and you'd have to use a step-down ring from 77mm and 72mm to the 62mm rear threads on the anamorphot.

• Hot on the heels of the 1.33x comes a quick and informal test of the SLR Magic 2x Anamorphot (prototype) using an SLR Magic 35mm taking lens on a Panasonic GH4 camera. Shot with the new 4/3 photo mode aspect ratio in UHD 4K and output as 1080p.

• Just got an iscorama. Pricey, but worth it for single focus.

• I'm really keen to hire an SLR MAGIC Anamorphot for a series of shoots i've got coming up. I'm wanting to test it out before buying the whole kit. Anybody in the UK willing to hire their Anamorphot for a weekend and i'll pay the hire fee plus shipping etc? I'm fully insured as a Director / DoP!

• Final video shot on the trusty GH2 which is now officially retired since the arrival of the GH4. SLR Magic Anamorphot and Soviet era LOMO OKC 11-35-1 35mm taking lens. GH2 standard settings.

• Panasonic GH4 with the SLR magic Anamorphot. 35mm 1.4 SLR magic as taken lens. No diopters. 4K MOV Cine D mode. No grading. Mostly shot at f5.6

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters