Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Noise issue GH2 - Driftwood 176 GOP1 ISO 160
  • Hi!

I have been getting a lot of block noise with my GH2. In well lit situations the problem is not there but as soon as I have some transitions to shadows, I get this huge blocks that look like a mobile phone video. Is there anything wrong with my camera? Is there something I am missing? Look at the couch and at the arm of the girl. Here is the video:

Noise issue GH2 Driftwood 176M GOP1 - ISO 160 - F1.4 from WB on Vimeo.

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • For starters, some light might help.

• Light is easy to get, but sensibility is much harder. But since this is a place for a sensitive exchange of information, let's keep things clear. The issue is: whenever there is an underexposed part in the image, these blocks appear. So isn't there a way to underexpose in a clean way, like many other cameras do? We often want to overexpose some parts and underexpose others.

• I don't think there's anything wrong with your camera. I'm no expert, but it looks like it's a combination of banding and macroblocking (I'm talking about her arm). Did you have noise reduction set to -2? Also, the original file on Vimeo is compressed, so that probably contributes a bit to the macroblocking.

I haven't used Driftwood 176M GOP1, but I use Canis Majoris Night and it usually helps at preserving shadow detail a little better. I'll still get noise at high ISOs or dark shadowy areas, but it's not smeared by compression. I'm afraid every camera has a range at which it works best, and you've just hit that limit.

Just my 2 cents.