Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Smaller Cameras can Make Do with 3x3 Matte Boxes
  • 77 Replies sorted by
  • The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of just mounting this directly to the lens. If it's light enough to not put any strain on the lens mount, the advantages would be big: no more worrying about focus breathing or avoiding zoom lenses.

My rig is configured like a cinema cage with the camera itself on a quick release, so I can quickly pull the camera out and get some tight handheld shots. Being able to keep the matte box on even without the rail / cage rig would be really nice - basically it would mean that I wouldn't need to always carry matching threaded circular filters as well as 4x4 filters (in this case 3x3).

• @sangye

That's what I got mine for. But then I'm on a sort of personal mission for going lightweight. I also consider a matte box an essential item - because my other personal crusade is to kill stray light.

@all My only contribution to improve the matte box's performance will be the addition of a 16:9 hard matte on the front slot. -See "eyebrows" on the mattebox in video below).

I'd be wary of trying to make the elegantly designed Cavision mini matte box do what it wasn't intended for. I can easily imagine people adding, modifying and then complaining,

That would be the equivalent of moving to Chinatown and then complaining about the noodle smell. ;-)

• Another word on filters and hard mattes:

If you do get yourself a 16:9 matte, you theoretically only need a 3" x 1.7" piece of glass*. You buy bulk, cut up a bigger filter and save.

*Of course a 16:9 matte is more like 16:10 or more - you need a little margin for error. Even more so with a clip-on M/B because of slight angle-of-rotation errors when attaching or focusing.

• Just placed an at B&H for this matte box with a couple Cavision 3x3 filters. This thing seems perfectly suited for DSLRs / SLTs, especially smaller ones like the GH2. I do really like the Cinematics box I have at the moment, but it's so disproportionately huge and heavy! I also like the prospect of paying a lot less for 3x3" filters, than for unnecessarily large 4x4"s. I'll post my thoughts once it arrives!

• I just got my Cavision 3x3 matte box in the mail. I ordered it with the swing away (specifically equipped for the 3x3 matte box), the 52mm to 85mm Deep Offset Step-Up Ring (AR85M52), and extra filter trays. Here are some first impressions:

• Quality is okay but not spectacular. I would never stand on one of these things like they do in some of the tests. It's a bit plasticy -- on par or slightly better than the DMatte.
    • I am concerned about build quality of the hinges that attach the flags to the matte box. They consist of plastic shafts that house long tightening bolts. It feels to me like that kind of plastic that may crack easily with repeated use or age. I have removed them for the time being because they add a lot of bulk.
    • The filter trays that come with the matte box are very lightweight plastic. I am not sure that I'd trust them with my expensive Schneider 3x3 filters (which fit perfectly). However, the extra filter trays that I ordered separately are aluminum and feel much better in my hands. I'll be using them primarily and keeping the plastic holders as backups.
    • The rear rotating stage kept getting stuck the first couple of times that I used it (I think that there was a stubborn ball bearing in there somewhere). But after I broke it in, it works very well and turns pretty smoothly.
    • The swing away is all aluminum and feels well-built. It works well in this setup. The 15mm bracket that hugs the rods sits 2.5" or 3" behind the matte box, meaning that I am attaching my Edelkrone FocusOne Pro follow focus in front of it. I am very glad that I have this follow focus with this matte box, because with its one point of contact I can slip it onto one of the rods and then slide it underneath the matte box before righting it.
    • With the deep offset ring, this matte box does NOT vignette with my SLR Magic 12mm on my GH2.
    • This whole setup will be greatly improved with a sleeve (i.e. "nuns knickers") to keep it light tight. Cavision is working on one but I may rig together something myself in the meantime

Though the build quality could be better (especially the flag hinges), this matte box is the perfect size for the GH2 and any other DSLR. I'd consider getting the version without the flags unless you really need them. I have assembled my kit to be lightweight and functional with nothing extra, and this matte box fits right in.

• I showed my Mini Matte Box to an industrial designer who was impressed by the build quality. Cavision seemed to have used the best of the practical materials currently available, along with engineering calculated to suit the task and reasonable use.

Their R&D and manufacturing costs will have been high and the price for the item might be reduced as those costs are recouped. Or else, Cavision's unit will soon be competing with rival, look-alike copies which are unlikely to be anywhere near as good; followed by nearly-as-good, cheaper imitations or even counterfeits.

I'd have bought a good, cheap imitation if one had existed. As it is, I'm delighted with the lightness and mobility, as well as the ability to use extendible zoom lenses.

• @QuickHitRecord

Sounds good. Could you post a pic of your rig when it's fully set up?

• How about short lenses when using with swing away? What the minimum you can use?

• @QuickHitRecord +1 for pictures of your set up please.

• @Meierhans It depends on how you have your camera rigged up. I have mine so that the swing away support can get very close to the camera body -- almost underneath it. With my current rig, a quick measurement suggests that this would work with a lens as short as 7cm (from camera body to lens tip). However it will be difficult to attach a follow focus with a lens that is that short (unless you add a top-down rod system to hang one above the camera). For this very reason, I have had to add extension tubes to several of my lenses to allow for enough space to use my follow focus (i.e. prevent it from bumping into the matte box). For instance, I have doubled the length of My Nikkor 50mm AIS f/1.8 with an extension tube. It looks a bit silly on its own, but it doesn't vignette, and it allows me to put a follow focus into the system.

@goanna @HillTop1 The eternal dilemma of only owning one camera (and no smart phone). I'll post something as soon as I can.

• To anyone who has bought this matte box, what filters do you use? Are most of you cutting up larger filters to fit this size? How would you do this safely? The Cavision filters are reputed to be shit from the reviews I've seen so looking for alternatives.

@QuickHitRecord - You say you have Schneider 3x3 filters but would not trust them in this matte box, is there another 3x3 matte box you would trust them in?

• @arknox

The Cavision aluminum filter holders that I bought for this matte box are much sturdier than the plastic ones that it comes with and I am comfortable using them with my 3x3 Schneiders.

• Wouldn't adding tubes to your lenses change the characteristics of the lenses? Am I just a dumbass for asking this? :)

• @vicharris

It would if you added them behind the lens. You'd essentially get a macro lens from that. What I did was add them to the front of the lenses, similar to a lens hood. I am hoping to do away with that solution altogether once I figure out a cloth light-blocking solution.

• Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Ok, I thought's what would happen of course but just wanted to make sure I wasn't taking crazy pills.

• @QuickHitRecord - Thanks for the info. Have you used anything other than Schneider, would you recommend them over Tiffen or other brands?

• @arknox

I have two Cavision ND filters in their sturdy, moulded metal holders. Also a range of Cokin P's which will fit into the flimsy plastic holders. Once fitted, the holder firms-up pretty much.

@QuickHitRecord once I figure out a cloth light-blocking solution..

Sleeves from some garments can make nun's nickers. (If you go browsing for them at a St Vincent de Paul's store, be careful how you reply to staff asking if you need any assistance). ;-)

• @arknox I have only ever used Schneiders so I have no grounds for comparison.

Here are a few pictures taken with my coworker's iPhone.

1.jpg
    598 x 800 - 162K
  • Another angle.

2.jpg
    598 x 800 - 184K
  • And a third.

3.jpg
    598 x 800 - 177K
  • @QuickHitRecord, thanks!! How much total has this set up cost you?

• @HillTop1 When I add everything in the picture up, it's about $4K. Never thought of it that way... yikes.

• @QuickHitRecord thanks for sharing the pictures. What follow focus is that?

• @Sangye It's the Edelkrone FocusOne Pro. It's a really neat design. I highly recommend it.

• it's about $4K

Lenses and rig will outlast the camera. Yearly cost might be quite low.