Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • Hey @shian did you use Intravenus as beta-tester or one of the Cluster settings (Neb/Drew?).?

• Here comes some more video tests:

• Shot a music vid on AN 444 today.... Unfortunately the band won't let me release stills until the video is released, but the footage looks fantastic. The cool part is that I shot side by side with an AF100, and it was cool to have the director and band marvel at what was coming out of "that little cam" (GH2).

We did a lot of overcranking and 60p footage looks top notch... even stuff shot with Panny glass.

Until this patch is topped. It will be my main sidearm.

• @shirap Looks good. Interesting look - reminds me of something, maybe a look somewhere between film and well shot tv. Can't place it. Actually as I write this I realize that it seems like the skin tone/texture is similar to TV show Breaking Bad. Well done. Also reminds me of one of the early shots driftwood did using early cdbrandin 444 that showed a close-up of a woman---that too had simliar skin tone/texture. This Apocalypse Now stuff is pretty damn cool. Thanks for posting video.

• @kazuo: well its because of people like you that there are religious wars in the world, racism etc. Jesus, cut the bullshit. The internet serves everybody. Not everybody must like what you like. Everybody can go to the sources he likes. You can give two shits about xeoncide if you like. You choose your preachers. I dont go to a huge cineplex cinema when i want to watch Vigo or Vertov. I dont go to a church when i want to have an excessive party. When i want to know about hacks etc. i ask Driftwood or Vitaly, because of their huge knowledge and not the cashier of my supermarket. If you have the quality to distinguish who has a competence and who not then you dont have to buy any fake review shit. Internet is pluralism.

i dont know if you have followed discussions recently at phil bloom, eoshd and how they are all called. People like you tend to throw dirt all the time, flame nonstop, because they are unable to remain on a rational level. You have to make everything personal. People like you cant distinguish between facts and opinions. And after a while nobody likes to go to those forums anymore.

• Does anybody ( @driftwood ) know how the Olympus 4/3 (not m4/3) lenses do behave in terms of extra sharpening in camera?

They do communicate with the camera body and there is a bit of colour correction and contrast enhancement, but I didn't see any over-sharpening (but I haven't done any pixelpeeper test).

Or in other words: Would using the AN-soft with the Oly lenses match them closer to the Tokina 11-16 using AN-sharp?

• 1 Driftwood Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now' - 6 GOP Nebula '444 2 Driftwood Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now' - 6 GOP Nebula '444 Soft 3 Apocalypse_Now_-Cluster_v7_DREWnet_12_15_GOP'444_Soft'matrix 4Apocalypse_Now-Cluster_v7_DREWnet_12_15_GOP'444_Sharp'_matrix

• @Mirrorkisser

Think not everyone attaches his ego to the bonnet of his car, or dick measures all the time. It is called integrity. if you are testing an equipment, and putting forth your opinion for public consideration, then make sure you do yourself some respect. It's because of persons like you who love "laid back attitudes", that there is now a proliferation of people who can make a living off writing fake reviews for books etc

• @xeoncide: I found your test not so bad. Of course it is limited, doesnt take all possible circumstances in account in which a hack really does the difference. but it takes a look at your situation. And i like how laid back you react to some people shooting with sharp ammo. I dont know why so many discussions have to bring a bad personal touch. People take talking about a camera as a personal assault. Expanding your ego on cameras, hacks, cars will make you feel under personal attack all the time, so whats the point ffs...

• @xenocide38

If you are not sure, then don't publish your findings. You will risk misrepresenting yourself, and the product concerned.

• @kazuo Inverse colors? Im not sure I fully understand. I did white balance the shot but I suppose the cfl bulbs i used to light the scene could be doing something screwy with the colors (forgive me, they are new and I'm still testing them as well). I used a 2 point light setup but next time I can throw an extra light in there so it's real 3 point lighting. I'm sorry for not doing justice to the hack, it was merely meant as a quick test, I will be posting further tests so people can get a good look at a variety of footage.

• @driftwood @all I have released Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO 'Apocalypse Now' with cbrandin 'Original 444 Matrix'. :-) http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/81033#Comment_81033 This is a starting point to the last, and I am still during improvement of this.

• @Xenocide38

Did you even white balance yr shots? The images look like they were shot in inverse colours. And if you want to test a camera, you should bother lighting the set, at least with three point lights. With your kind of conditions, not only do you do no justice to the hacks, even a camera like RED or BMC will look atrocious.

• @driftwood - That's what I thought and what we do! Appreciate the hard work as always.

• @artiswar Undoubtedly, Premiere Pro handles AVCHD raw the best. However, I would still copy over/backup the private folder first, especially as Premiere has the habit of writing back to the sdcard/private folder location* (*see inside the BDMV sub folder) some xml (xmp) metadata during import. Could cause corruption etc...

Also if you drag / import an entire folder over to PP from sdcard - its going to need that location throughout the entire editing process unless transcoded immediately... in my opinion its better that its taken from hard disk unless its a small / quick project. Reading/playing back via SD cards is much slower than HDs/SSDs.

• @driftwood - Does this suggestion to copy the entire private folder stand true if editing naive MTS in Premiere?

• @driftwood can't wait to get my hands on it!

• @driftwood That "network" guy makes me sick.

• @Sangye Wait till you see IntraVenus.

• @adamquesada smooth -2-2-2-2 no problem

• In this video, I compared Sedna AQ1 'A', Canis Majoris 'Night', Cluster V7 Nebula 444 Sharp & Soft, Cluster V7 DrewNet 444 Sharp & Soft, and an older experimental GOP1 220M patch. Part 1 is ungraded, Part 2 is gamma shifted to 6 in Premiere, and Part 3 is graded in Magic Bullet Looks. After Part 3, you will see graded 300% crops of Sedna, CM Night, and the four Cluster V7 patches side-by-side.

In my opinion, the Soft versions of the two new Cluster V7 444 patches had the nicest highlight roll-off, while CM Night still held the best detail in the shadows. Particularly, I noticed substantially less macroblocking of ISO noise in the shadows on the leather jacket in CM Night, when compared to Cluster, Sedna, and especially the older 220M patch. I found it noteworthy that despite having nearly three times the bitrate as the new Apocalypse Now Cluster patches, the old GOP1 220M patch had far muddier shadows and in general looks bad in comparison. Goes to show how significant Nick and Chris's work on matrixes has been.

On all shots, I used a Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 lens, stopped down to f/8. Shutter speed was at 1/50s throughout, while ISO remained at 1,250 and WB was kept at 5200. The picture style for each shot was Smooth -2, -2, -2, -2.

The light changed slightly in between patch installations, so take this with a grain of salt. Also know that you can't hope to get a remotely accurate idea of how these patches differ when watching on Vimeo. Downloading the original 1080p .MP4 file (encoded at 20Mbps) will give you a better picture, but better yet would be to do this yourself and compare the .MTS files natively.

• Some crazy guy has a review up... :-)

@Meierhans Everything was developed with -2 on sharpness in mind. I have found the sharpening in-camera to be somewhat overall aggressive and feel the sharp matrix compensates on a much tighter level controlling the hi frequencies.

-1 is not too bad on 444 Soft, but personally prefer 444 Sharp over using it. You're welcome to experiment as everyone has their own preferences.

• @peternap Especially great images when you consider the issues with red and blue on the GH2. This setting impresses me more each time I use it.

@Xenocide38 That was a nice note. I wish you well.

@Meierhans Great question. Hopefully Driftwood or Brandin can answer you. My gut reaction would be to shoot "soft" and sharpen in post when necessary. But -- that's just my reaction -- and either of those two can give you the best answer.

• That 4x4 macro block has 3 distinctly different 2x2 combinations where default macro block has all identical 2x2 Bayer combination. Interesting. Sorta Fuji X-Pro1's X-Trans CMOS sensor's irregular color filter array concept. Superb. Kodos to Chris and Driftwood.

But the luma info has been reduced to half? Any side effect?

• @shian Latest clip wrap seems to be transcoding ok with latest AN settings.

@All Also, once again I suggest NEVER transcode straight from the SD card. Copy over the entire Private folder from the card to a named folder on your hard disk and import/transcode from there.

With fcpx if you copy over the private folder to inside a suitably named folder (e.g. My Footage) when you import the private folder inside this named folder using Camera Import it will take that name (e.g My Footage) as the camera name - which is easy to remember when you come back to it at a later stage.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions