Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
14mm F2.5 Panasonic lens and comparison with 20mm 1.7
  • I do own a 20mm 1.7 it's great but the AF is a bit slow ... I like DOF
    Any one tested 14mm 2.5 AF ? DOF ?
  • 64 Replies sorted by
  • Panasonic Lumix G 14mm f/2.5 II for $198 deal

https://www.adorama.com/ipc1425ak.html

• The review lens didn't quite meet expectations for either camera's 16-megapixel sensor with JPEG files, although our results were very close with raw files from the GH4 and just met expectations with raw files from the E-M1. Resolution peaked at f/4, with a very gradual decline to around f/7.1, where diffraction began to take effect.

http://www.photoreview.com.au/reviews/lenses/m4-3/panasonic-lumix-g-14mm-f-2.5-ii-asph-h-h014a-lens

sales69.jpg
    598 x 393 - 30K
  • i got one of these 14mm F2.5 Panasonic lenses, its my only fully-native Panasonic lens that makes full use, and takes advantage of, the electronics systems in my G1 and G3 bodies .. paid about 120gbp

all my other lenses are manual and on adapters, but i thought i should have at least 1 lens with full access to the many available features [in case i find a use]

great lil' lens, its so small, its still the smallest/lightest production removable lens ever made

i think i should get 1 more .. i like the Leica Summilux 25mm

Updated 14mm

PR

Panasonic is proud to announce a new digital interchangeable single focal length lens, the LUMIX G 14mm / F2.5 II ASPH. (H-H014A) based on the Micro Four Thirds system standard. Offered in black and silver, the new LUMIX G 14mm / F2.5 II ASPH. matches the GM series of LUMIX Digital Single Lens Mirrorless (DSLM) cameras – the new DMC-GM5 or DMC-GM1. The lens will be available at www.shop.panasonic.com and valued channel partners in mid November.

The LUMIX G 14mm / F2.5 II ASPH. features a 14mm (35mm camera equivalent: 28mm) wide angle and F2.5 high speed with sharp, high contrast image rendering. Taking advantage of the wide angle of view and deep depth of field, the compact LUMIX G 14mm / F2.5 II ASPH. offers excellent performance for shooting not only landscapes but also general photography.

Comprised of 6 lenses in 5 groups including 3 aspherical lenses, the lens system achieves both compactness with short overall length of apprpx.20.5mm and high optical performance. It also excels in shooting subjects with components of straight line including architecture thanks to the minimized distortion. It incorporates a superior inner focus system which enables excellent resolution and contrast from full life-size magnification to infinity. The inclusion of a stepping motor makes the focusing action smooth and silent for use in both photo and video recording to be classified as a LUMIX HD Lens. When mounted on the Digital Single Lens Mirrorless (DSLM) cameras of LUMIX G, users can take advantage of the high-speed, high-precision Contrast AF system.

Seven blades give the aperture a rounded shape that produces an attractively smooth effect in out-of-focus areas when shooting at larger aperture settings. Highly reliable metal mount assures durability for active use, and uses multi-coated lens elements that minimize ghosts and flare to further enhance its shooting performance.

stab27.jpg
    671 x 666 - 59K
  • @DanPV It is possible to attach Konica hexanon lens on metabones, the trick is to convert Konica mount to FD mount:: it seems impossible since the flange distance of konica lens is shorter than FD (about a 1,3 mm I remember) however, the rear of hexanon konica lenses has a large empty space, so you can modify this lens mount, converting it to FD and use your metabones FD-mount...a bit machining, however ;)

• As a standard wideangle, it’s not super-wide, but it’s adequate for any landscape or architectural work. It is capable and adequate for professional work as well. I’m not the type of guy that buys into all the marketing hype and I’m definitely not a pixel-peeper either.

For a pancake lens I was mesmerized by the quality of the glass

http://talkingtree.org/my-love-for-the-panasonic-lumix-14mm-f2-5-pancake-lens-perfect-for-landscapes/

• @DanPV Might be an effort to reduce reflections between the sensor and the rear lens. After all, sensor are more reflective than film emulsion, and WO some vintage glass is blooming quite bit.

• LoL. No idea what it is. But it looks funny.

Vintage lenses used to be hot. But I'm done with vintages. I sold all except the Hexanon 40mm because it's small and cute :)

Most of time I use Olympus 45mm 1.8 instead of the Hexanon. The modern MF lenses like Nokton, HyperPrime, and Samyang are optimized for digital sensor. Leica DG 45mm 2.8 should work nicely with Lumix 14mm and 20mm. It supports MEGA OIS and macro mode, too.

About Metabones Speed Booster... EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM looks enticing. Then add Samyang 50mm T1.5 CINE when it's available. Pop the adapter. There goes a fast 35mm T/1.1 :)

• @stonebat - I came across this picture. What does the foam at the rear of the lens do? It is a lens for sale. The seller said it has been modified for micro 4/3. Does it make the bokeh circles more round?

konica.jpg
    600 x 600 - 54K
  • I'm definitely not up for shelling out $600 for testing it out. Most cheap vintage lenses are not sharp at 1.4 or 1.8. Usually they must be stepped down to 2.8 or higher.

• Wonder what the Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8 would be like when combined with a Metabones Speed Booster adapter on a Micro 4/3 camera?

• @cjdincer The Konica lens is sharp at 2.8. SLRMagic 35mm 1.4 would have been great, but it has a focusing issue. If you are a fan of AF lens, Olympus 45mm 1.8 would be nice.

• "A pancake trio is complete. 14mm, 20mm, Hexanon 40mm." @stonebat I have found a Konica Hexanon 40mm F1.8 for a fairly good price, wondering how it matches with 20mm and 14mm. I own the 20mm F1.7.and 14mm is on my list. Do you think I should buy the 40mm Hexanon ? thanks cj.

• JPEG straight out of the 14mm. No post-processing. It's a great little lens.

20111015-P1040315.jpg
    1125 x 1500 - 757K
  • @CRFilms I got a new 14mm at $140.
  • I use'em all :)
  • What is the best AF mode to use with 14mm 2.5 ?
  • Good. It's ok at f4.0 and 5.6.
  • OK, have updated the firmware, AF is still fast ...
  • I got my 14mm today,
    first impressions:
    - Really fast AF (much,much,much faster than 20mm)
    - Great for low light
    Using lens firmware 1.0 (will not update yet ...)
    Would like to know from @stonebat if after FW update the AF is still fast ?
  • @CRFilms

This is lenses for different purposes, 28mm vs 40mm :-)
  • Yeah, as I've already established in previous threads, I hate spending money. But for the price, this was a good deal. I've mostly figured out how to work the auto lens now.

If you can get one of these for under $250 I'd go for it. The only other competition at that price is the Oly 17mm, but they say it's not as sharp and it's a bit slower. But if you're paying full price then the 20mm is now only $20 more than the 14mm on Amazon. I don't get that, it's also THE SAME PRICE as the 20mm on Panasonic's store. Why would you pay $350 for the 14mm over the 20mm?
  • 14mm is very useful lens and compact also.
  • The widest lens I had prior to the 14mm was a Canon FD 28mm 2.8. The bottle cap with the writting is the canon and the blank one is the Panny 14mm. So I just spend $200+ for auto focus.....sob. :P

Frame grabs from 1080p video. Can't remember iso on Canon, Panny iso 400. Camera was around 8 inches from cap.
    BotCap.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 124K
    BotCap2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 253K