Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Settings: Series 6 - COMP Apocalypse Now, Cluster v6, GalaXian GX1, Sedna, Canis, etc...
  • 713 Replies sorted by
  • "Apocalypse Now" is there any visual differences comparing other settings?

• @MartinD You need a proper filter to avoid damaging your sensor when shooting the sun. I am not an expert on this and don't have said filter, but did look into it awhile back. I would like to ask the forum experts what filter they would recommend for optimal quality of sunrises since I may well give the competition a go.

• What I want to know will this new firmware make your GH2 play 'Ride of the Valkyries' every time you switch it on?

"I love the smell of fried SD cards in the morning!"

• @Sangyw Same here I can't wait for it to release!!!

• Anyone know if damage occurs to the GH2 or GXX sensor when taking photos/video of the sun, for an extended period of time? This competition might turn out to be the largest mass suicide of GH2/GXX camera bodies, if damage does occur.

• ETA on Apocalypse Now? The anticipation is killing me!

• Can't wait to see what you guys cooked up. :) Hope testing was of any help.

• Crossfire Settings

Variation 1: VY Canis Majoris 'Skintone matrix' + Cluster Setting24p/HBR25p GOP1 Canis's 'Skin Tone matrix' meets Cluster v4 GOP3 720p/HBR modes.

Variation 2: VY Canis Majoris 'Green Screen matrix setting' + Cluster 24p/HBR 30p/25p GOP1 meets Cluster v4 GOP3 720p modes with adjusted I scaliing tables. Perfect looking buffers. Great setting. Recommend to use Standard profile and 320/160 ISO on flat lit Chroma Green screens or material.

Variation 3: VY Canis Majoris 'Night matrix setting' + Cluster 24p/HBR 30p/25p GOP1 meets Cluster v4 GOP12/15 720p modes with adjusted I scaliing tables. Perfect looking buffers. Another great crossbreed setting. Recommend to use Standard, Smooth or Vibrant picture profile.

More to be announced...

Crossfire variation no.1- Canis Majoris GOP1 'Skin Tone' matrix with Cluster v4 3 GOP settings.zip
    Crossfire variation no.2 - Canis Majoris 'Green Screen' Matrix 147M Intra GOP1 24p with Cluster GOP3 on 720p.zip
    Crossfire variation no.3 - Canis Majoris 'Night Matrix' Intra GOP1 24p and HBR-1080i plus Cluster GOP12-15 on 720p.zip
  • Quantum 9b settings & Mysteron

The original plain old Quantum v9b with AQ4 and AQ3! Ah, memories!!!

An updated version of Driftwood Quantum 9b (the old fav) for ptools v3.65d is added. The updated setting includes a Sedna adapted matrix and a few changes to the GOP Related structure but no big changes.

Note: The original does work under 3.65d.

Driftwood Mysteron. - Released 29th March 2012

'Mysterious' Top notch 24pH Intra setting with deblocking. 720p50/60 (GOP3/6) Working and spanning. HBR / 1080i INTRA. Plus special burst mode setting of Mysteron giving 170M+ recordings and 900k Intra frame sizes at 5 secs hi detail, longer at less detail.

Quantum 9b Original.zip
    952B
    Quantum 9b Updated.zip
    Mysteron Classic - setf.zip
    Mysteron Burst - seti.zip
  • Cluster Settings

NOTE: CLUSTER V6 Settings are thoroughly tested to record hi-quality filmic detail even using Ai or iDYNAMIC Modes - a feat that a lot of other settings will be unable to do. Try it.

CLUSTER v6 'Nebular' - Sedna/Orion Optimised GOP 6 on PAL & NTSC Superb reliability setting on all REC MODES with great IQ. Cluster v6 6 GOP Variation 'Nebular'. Again, primed for a target Qp of 16. After another week's research and beta testing by my test team (with special kudos to @evanflys, @luxis, @Zaven13, @konjow, @onionbrain and @conscius please find attached Cluster v6 - the 6 GOP variation of the previously released 'DREWnet' setting at 12/15 GOP.

The two settings (DREWnet info below this one) share striking similarities in the matrix and the only real difference is the GOP, the 'GOP Related' weighting of bitrate to i, p and b frames, and bitrate to produce a rate control that increases overall bitrate by around 25%. HBR/1080i certainly looks even better. But let YOU be the judge.

• Achieves 80+ M bitrate at 24p resolving beautiful pictures and motion,

• Avg 40M+ on highest detail for HBR/1080i with reliability on all modes inc. iDynamic, iA, Etc...

• Avg 50M+ on highest detail for 720p resolving great looking IQ and motion. Again tested on iA and iDynamic High settings.

• Hi quality MJPEG 2k

• Superior audio from thepalalias at 'pasadenapulse.net'.

CLUSTER v6 'DREWnet' - Sedna/Orion Optimised classic GOP 12/15 PAL/NTSC Superb reliability setting on all REC MODES with great IQ. Best of the 12/15 GOP Clusters to date - by far. A lot of effort has gone into testing these settings many thanks goes out to the following personal view beta testers;- disastronaut, evanflys, feha, thepalalias, MatsWedin, luxis, konjow, onionbrain, Frame, conscius, pichidominguez, brant_moore, fil2, and jellybaby. Well done!

• Achieves 70+ M bitrate at 24p resolving beautiful pictures and motion,

• Avg 30M on highest detail for HBR/1080i with reliability on all modes inc. iDynamic, iA, Etc...

• Avg 40M+ on highest detail for 720p resolving great looking IQ and motion. Again tested on iA and iDynamic High settings.

• Hi quality MJPEG 2k

• Superior audio from thepalalias at 'pasadenapulse.net'.

Driftwood Cluster v6 'GalaXian' for the GX1 - Sedna/Orion Optimised classic GOP 12/15 PAL/NTSC AVCHD/MP4 modes

Here's the GX1 cluster variation entitled 'GalaXian' setting. Everything is souped up to Cluster v6 GH2 levels but set at 56M all round max, Q target is 18. You probably won't reach those dizzy heights. This features the Cluster v6 scaling matrix set on AVCHD modes. I don't think MP4 mode at level 66 baseline uses the scaling matrices as checked in ptools and Streameye Pro confirms this with matrices = n/a (not applicable) in the headers.

There is NO in-camera playback of MP4 modes at present but they look dramatically better than the stock recordings, AVCHD is unaffected and playsback.

Test it out and see how you get on. We may get the in-camera playback for mp4 modes sorted resolved?! For now continue testing...

Cluster v6 DREWnet.zip
    Cluster v6 Nebular.zip
    Driftwood 'Gala~X~ian' . setj.zip
  • 'Sedna' Settings

Driftwood Sedna 'Settings' - Release 15th March 2012, 01:30am

Stats: 24p Intra, 1080i/HBR Intra, 720 GOP3/GOP6 all settings as Orion with Sedna Matrices:-

A = High Detail matrix Good for Wide full detail shots.

B = Good allround detail matrix Great all round wide / mid shots.

C = Softer detail matrix Softer skin tonal detail.

Two packs, one at Quantisation 20 (default), the other AQ1 (pushed the Quantisation and bitrate further still). Note: AQ2 to 4 is unnecessary. Q20 is REALLY pushing the Quantisation to best levels without having to use AQ. Q20 Bitrate is measured to detail and will achieve in places AQ3 or AQ4 size bitrates without distorting Q so much as before.

Sedna Q20 Pack.zip
    Sedna AQ1 Pack.zip
  • 'VY Canis Majoris' Settings

VY Canis Majoris are all Intra on 24p and HBR/1080i ... VY Canis Majoris explores luma and chrominance in the matrix further than ever before and each setting analyses approximate conditions required for certain times of the day where the natural light is weaker/stronger...

We start with Night, Day pm, and Skin Tone Soft variations of the classic Intra Driftwood setting.

*** NEW *** The much awaited Canis Majoris 'Day AM' released from the archives! (Released 21/12/2012)

The much asked for Canis Majoris Day AM (the missing piece in the Canis Majoris set) finally released after much nagging from those who know who they are. This setting's matrix concentrates itself on low to mid frequency luminance areas.

Expect:-

• 1080p24 at 150Mbps on H / 72Mbps on L - ALL INTRA
    • 1080i/HBR at 98Mbps max FSH - ALL INTRA
    • 720p at 72Mbps - GOP3/6 (PAL/NTSC)

The Initial Quantiser has been set at 16 with AQ1 on 1080 modes and AQ2 on 720. It is scaled but was never tested on 30p and 60p modes. 25p and 50p modes are fully tested looking back at my notes. Enjoy!

Canis Majoris - Day pm Matrix.zip
    Canis Majoris - Night Matrix.zip
    Canis Majoris - Soft Skin Tone Matrix.zip
    Canis Majoris - Day AM - setg.zip
  • NEWS

'Apocalypse Now' Imminent Release

Driftwood & Chris Brandin Present... 'Apocalypse Now' Settings'

IntraVenus 'Apocalypse Now' - Intra 24p, Intra HBR, Intra FSH plus GOP3/6 720p 60p/50p

Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now' - Nebula Style 6 GOP - Bang in the middle of Long GOP and Short GOP with Excellent Quality.

Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now' - DREWNet Style 12/15 GOP Lesser memory Requirement with Superb Quality

All the above settings incorporate Chris Brandin's 'Cinema 444 matrix' for Pany style lenses PLUS sharpened versions provided by Driftwood for softer manual lenses.

Competition Time

To celebrate the soon to be released 'Apocalypse Now' setting I fancy doing a four week competition starting from now: Here's the rules: The best filmed sunrise OR sunset captured on a GH2 or Gxx Lumix camera using any of my Driftwood settings (the winning entry be validated by proving the mts file) will win my precious 14-42 X Lens!

The top Sunrise or Sunset captures will be selected by all in this thread and the top 3 put to a vote - only one will be decided the winner. Filmmakers will upload their entries via youtube or Vimeo and posted as a visual link into this thread.

UPDATE: You can provide a graded version on Youtube or vimeo if you prefer. However, the original mts file must be kept and be readily available to submit when the winner is announced. Don't forget to KEEP the ORIGINAL MTS file as it will be required for verification (certain giveaways like matrix values etc...in the file allow me to know) AND for the film*.

Simple. Get to it. :-)

Closing date: 18th August 2012. Maximum duration of film = one minute

*What do I get? One other thing I forgot to mention, the winner must agree to allow me to use this sunrise OR sunset capture in my forthcoming film 'Swim to Land'. Of course, you will receive a credit too. :-)

Apocalypse Now Setting.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M