Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Film festival question: 720p50 with slow motion or 1080p24?
  • I want to send a film I'm about to start shooting to a few festival where it would be played on a big screen. I want some slow motion in my film for a few key shots, but I know the film doesn't absolutely need it. I want to know, if I'm using the best 720p50 hack, if it will still be a great quality image, or if it will sacrifice the image quality too much and should in that case stick to 1080p24. I'm planning on using Mysteron and Canis Majoris if I go with 1080p, because there are a few night time shots that I have to worry about. I've seen a great example of slow motion with the GH2 on vimeo (which I'm sure many of you have seen:

), and the image looked fantastic in my opinion, but I just don't know how well it would hold up on a bigger screen is all....

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • It really depends how the venue goes about screening your film. For what it's worth, hacked footage at 720p, blown up to 1080p holds up just fine. It's really a creative choice. Why not shoot both parts both ways to have more flexibility?

• @RyanPW

You need inside info about the festival's gear. Many Blu-Ray players will play a 60p AVCHD file from a DVD-R or +R.

Now that I have a 2k projector and 7-metre screen to play with, I'm careful about low-res pictures as well as frame rate.

• @artiswar - I think that's a great idea. shooting both and then just blowing up the 720p to 1080p and cross checking...I can essentially edit two copies as well for festivals! Thanks for the great feedback.

• Do you think if I shot at a shutter speed of a 100 in 1080p24 and then tried slowing it down that it could act as slow motion when I cut the speed down in half in post?

• Yeah this guy did it in 1080p but at a shutter of 50

• How did this guy get his slow motion so smooth in 24p at a shutter of 50? He says he only used timewarp in ae but he must have done something to keep the smoothness of the image.

• Wondering the same thing, never used timewarp