Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Settings, Series 5: Cluster v6 ULTRA RELIABLE, Mysteron, Crossfire, Quantum 9B, Sedna...
  • Driftwood GH2 & GFx Settings

*** THIS IS A CONTINUATION THREAD FROM SERIES 1, 2, 3 & 4 WHICH CAN BE FOUND BY CLICKING ON THE LINKS BELOW ***

Series 1 Link

Series 2 Link

Series 3 Link

Series 4 Link

ALL Settings require Panasonic firmware v1.11 & ptools 3.64D '200212' OR 3.65d required). Settings for GH2 & GFx Lumix cameras.

DRIFTWOOD NEWS

01-07-2012 NEW Driftwood 'DREWnet' Cluster v6 GOP 12/15 Released - With adapted Sedna and Orion matrix on different rec modes with superior reliability on 24p, HBR, 1080i and 720p modes over most other settings - A truly exceptional setting!

23-06-2012 Driftwood 'Globular' Cluster v5.1 released - variation uses the Sedna matrix on the I frames of the GOP (see below) - Cluster 5.1 12/15 GOP settings.

21-06-2012 Driftwood 'Globular' Cluster v5 released (see below) - Cluster 12/15 GOP settings.

14-06-2012 NEW Crossfire variations released (see below) - GOP1 mixed with Cluster settings and adapted Canis/Sedna matrices

12-06-2012 Cluster v4 pack released - A variety of different GOPs for you to try.

06-06-2012 NEW Quantum 9b Updated released - Updated & adjusted with Sedna adapted Matrix.

05-06-2012 Cluster v3 released - Improvements all round with Sedna adapted Matrix.

CREDITS

These settings are dedicated to VK @Vitaliy_Kiselev (master in control) and Chris Brandin @cbrandin (thee font of information).

IF YOU LIKE THESE SETTINGS PLEASE PAYPAL DONATE (ABOVE) TO VITALIY FOR HIS BRIILLIANT & TIRELESS WORK ON GIVING US THE HACK.

• 1029 Replies sorted by
  • @A_Boy_Named_Soo Without knowing more about the settings your are shooting with (50P vs 60P and what ISO) and equipment you are using (lenses with electronic communcation with the camera vs. without) or the level of detail in the scene, I can still say that under more demanding conditions, Mysteron has a more stable 720P mode than Sedna and the new Cluster variations are supposed to be even more reliable, but I have less experience testing them.

• THIS THREAD WILL SOON BE CLOSED BY VITALIY - PLEASE BE AWARE TO POST ANY NEW ITEMS OVER ON SERIES 6 THREAD.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3945/driftwood-settings-series-6-competition-apocalypse-now-cluster-sedna-canis-crossfire-etc...#Item_1

• I'll test this one ... to see what happens! thank you :)

• @gokuan003 Try Canis Majoris 'Day pm' matrix setting for the daytime. :-)

• Going back to my question ... I'm just about to Canis Majoris night and wanted to know if we could film the day with or should it move towards a Sedna AQ1, Cluster V6? ... I find the flow of CM Night, but certe High image quality is just superb to my taste ... by cons, although it gives a sleek movie I find the colors a dark choua.

• @Zaven13 Back in the days when I only cared about 24p... ;-) I'll correct the FSH/FH settings in a future update. At the moment I'm busy working on the GX1 stuff and 'Apocalypse Now' setting for the GH2.

• I would like to know which patch, to have as a very good quality d 'image in day and good in night, the whole for the 24P:)

Thank you

• This is a repeat question that was not answered. I am posting it again because the curiosity is killing the cat. @driftwood, Crossfire variation 3 (CM Night/Cluster V4) is a great setting with great image quality and high bitrates. The only glitch is that FSH/FH both record at the same bitrate of 70-80 mbs. Both FSH/FH cause write errors but I would have expected that the FH would record at lower bitrate and provide a reasonable alternative to FSH . Any explanation for why FH records as high as FSH when FSH=106MB & FH=64MB?

• @MirrorMan & @MinorHD I am a paid professional freelancer, and I know many other frequent posters here are as well. For myself, and this seems to be the case for others as well, I do not share paid work without express permission from the client. What I do post are patch tests, post-production tests, and my own creative projects.

• @Quinnthouzand http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-usage/gh2-usage From FAQ under video modes 1080p @30,15,12, or 8 fps. No sound. If I remember correctly, it uses the same compression as 24p

• @MinorHD I could be wrong but my guess is paid professionals are probably the minority here and paid professionals will not be able to share their footage so easily

• @zaven13, probably off topic but what exactly is affected by the % settings in variable mode in terms of actual recorded frame rate? And is the compression different from 24p mode? Or does this put it into a 50i 60i mode or something? It's kinda cryptic.

For god sake why did Panasonic have to use ootsy pootsy names for everything instead of just calling everything what it is- i.e. 24p 50i 60p 30p. WTF is up with that shite?

• @driftwood

Please make new topic.

This one too large.

• @Zaven, I was writing while you posted. Much better and more accurate explanation than mine. Thanks!

• @ethanpil, you ask me while my camera is in the shop! LOL, but it is in the same part of the menu that lets you choose 24p, or Manual mode on the far right. The actual name I forget, but there is 80% speed 160% and 300% Maybe one more ?

• @ethanpil. It is the option next to 24p cinema called variable movie mode. Select that and you have the options of 80% slow motion, 160%, 200%, 300% speeds.

• @ethanpil : I guess just a simple time strech in post.

• @mee What do you mean by "in camera 300% speed" do you mean you did the speed increase in camera? How do I do that?

• Shot using Sedna Q20 A with in camera 300% speed. I then fiddled a bit further with the speed in Magix, and did a very fast color correction. The music is 80% done, but I messed up and lost the work in progress right after rendering this test (My fault for trying to mix music directly in the movie maker I guess). Lens is canon 35mm FD F2 Concave. I think I had it wide open or darn close.

• Screen grabs from a short film I'm currently the DP on. Driftwood 'DREWnet' Cluster v6 -ColorGhears -Zeiss 50mm 1.4

Screen Shot 2012-07-17 at 1.52.31 PM.png
    1260 x 729 - 920K
    Screen Shot 2012-07-17 at 1.56.46 PM.png
    1259 x 730 - 1M
    Screen Shot 2012-07-17 at 1.59.13 PM.png
    1258 x 730 - 967K
  • @MinorHD There's plenty of REAL stuff out there, just not necessarily with the most recent settings. Browse through the topic archive and you shall find. sanzandez is also correct that there is plenty of stuff view isn't available for public viewing.

• Not sure what step I'm missing with my Sandisk 64GB 95/mb card using with Sedna Q20, but I keep getting "Motion recording limitations of card" errors when shooting in 720. I've tried in-camera format, setting custom dials then formatting. Is there a simple step I'm overlooking?

• I have a feature I am hoping to finish filming at the end of this month. It's been a long time coming and can't wait to finish as it's my first big project. There are many real shoots out there, just not many of them posted on this forum for public viewing.

• I have my South Korea short A Day in 1951 which I'll post on here too!

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions