Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Image shift while focusing with FF
  • 40 Replies sorted by
  • @Greek_m43 : You should check the Lanparte Baseplate listed on the deals, very very good quality, and comes with two 30cm rods. You seem to have a decent tripod, but don't forget that the stiffness of the legs and head is the key to get stable shots.

• @krotal how would it fit everything with that screw on the front of the rig? Everything is really compact with the FD lens setup.

• @Greek_m43 : I use legacy lenses like yashica ML 50mm that are very similar to FD lenses (in size) and everything fit well on the 30cm rods. I can send you some picture if you want to get an idea.

• @krotal that would be great. PM them to me so we don't clutter this thread. Photos of my rig are above for reference.

• Now my image shifting problems had disappear I noticed some vibrations when pulling focus, do you think using a whip can eliminate the vibrations ?

• @krotal are you using a lens with IS on? Try turning it off when operating on tripod/FF.

What is the nature of the vibrations anyway, please elaborate?

• @mo7ies : I'm not using any IS, the vibrations come from my hand and the torque I apply to the FF. Basically all the movements you do with your hand aren't 100% steady, i think that's the nature of the vibrations.

• Get a heavy/steady tripod/plate/rails.

Other than that, sure all the vibrations will transmit to your optical system, and will be more noticeable on long (telephoto) end.

• Okay, I was planning to buy one of the good tripods listed on the deals, because mine is really bad. May be i'll have to weigh it down with sandbags. I thought a whip can eliminate the vibrations but without a good base (i.e tripod) it seems useless.

• I think it's also important to secure the camera from top, because the plastic camera body is flexible by itself.

top_secured.jpg
    4000 x 3000 - 2M
  • @tonalt True. In your setup, one can also place Varavon Lens Support upside-down on the top rails.

BTW, is there just one side bracket on the left? If so, the system might still have too much flex in it. May I suggest a cage with at least two side brackets, either on the same side or opposite each other.

• Wow thats what i call a Rig looks like a Transformer or somthing you have to wear after breaking your leg. Whats the weight of it ?

• @mo7ies yes there is just one, luckily I have one more. But it's tricky to place them correctly and at the same time get access to SD-card, open display to left, enough space for FF etc..

I knew there was a reason to order multiple gini rigs.. I got enough parts to build the ultimate rig ;)

• @Craig_R too much to use in shoulder rig. It's for tripod use only and it's not yet finished :) I have much lighter setup for shoulder rig.

EDIT: And the idea is to create stable and generic setup as possible, so the same parts can be used with different cameras in future.

• I finally bought a very "decent" tripod kit, Manfrotto 504HD + 535K Carbon Fiber legs. Very pricey but I chose to only buy one good tripod, not 3 or 4 until I find something decent... I'm very happy with it, the shakes while pulling focus are only noticeable on ETC mode, panning and tilting are smooth.