Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Pro: GH2 AVCHD encoder settings
  • 177 Replies sorted by
  • @mpgxsvcd I meant an empty spreadsheet...
    mpgxsvcd 7:00AM ReportAwesome
    I am going to try to do the bit rate tests tonight with the test charts on a tripod. I have a spreadsheet setup to keep track of every change. I will change one parameter at a time. Hopefully I can post some files tomorrow. I just did a quick test with half of the original GOP and bit rate set at 40 mb/sec for each resolution. The first 2 seconds of a tree blowing in the wind showed almost no compression artifacts just like the GH13. Then you can actually see the macro blocking suddenly start after 2 seconds. If we can get the whole video to look like the first 2 seconds everyone will be VERY HAPPY.
  • There must be an additional setting somewhere that controls the average bit rate. All of my tests so far have shown that the encoder complies with the bit rate I have set for about 4 key frames( and then it reverts to the original setting for the rest of the video. The first 2 seconds of the video look incredible. Then it starts pulsing up and down. I have tried upping the buffer and that has not had an affect so far.

How do you guys do a screen capture of the stream parser and upload it? Is there a free program to do that or is it built into stream parser?
  • @mpgxsvcd I use snipping tool in Windows 7
  • Here is an empty spreadsheet in a MS Excell format with all of the values listed. Makes easy to keep track of experimentation. Hope it helps. Was created with Excell 2007.
    v3.60d060711.xlsx
  • I got B frames to work with 720p. I just duplicated the 24p settings for the 720p settings and it produced similar bit rate video with B frames. It did fail in iAuto mode though. I also tried the same settings for 1080i and it produced a lower frame rate video that was useless. I will try some more tests and then post the results spreadsheet.
  • I have consistent 720p @ 60 FPS with B-Frames working. This is actually a break through for 720p. I have 28 mb/sec average + BFrames working in iAuto mode. It is absolutely stunning. Uploading samples now.

The attached settings file is what I used.
    setc.zip
    612B
  • In the details you say "b frames like the 1080i setting has", I thought the 1080i setting only had I/P frames and the 1080p24 setting has B frames?
  • Check the bitrate at half gop (15 or 12)..

720p situation reveals a bit about what the ESs mean for bitrate allotment (or how the encoder is 'thinking' about max bitrate).
  • @mpgxsvd - tried your patch. Causes motion recording cancelled on all the cards that work with the 100mb patch on the gh1. Maybe its time for some high end Sandisk cards
  • Tried it with a 4th SD card, getting 28mb average with low detailed scene. Using in Creative priority mode.

Interesting note: IN order to get the card to record, need to write a file in 24H mode first (freshly formatted card), then I can record SH just fine.

It will crash if large potions of the frame go into overexposure. Certainly a lot more testing to be done.
  • Here is a down-loadable sample. Stream Parser shows Red, Green, and Blue. Those are I, B, and P frames respectively.

• @mpgxsvcd are you the eyepatch entertainment guy? OMG I worship you...
  • @plasmasmp is the eye patch entertainment guy.
  • @plasmamp Thanks for all this! Looking promising. Just noticed that the version actually on YouTube (as opposed to your embed in this list) also has the "original" resolution option which is presumably the best one to watch it on?
  • @mpgxsvcd You were asking how to do a screen capture? Depends on the machine but if you have windows XP like I do, there's a key which is usually somewhere near the top right of your keyboard called PrtScn or PrintScreen or similar.

• This key on its own copies whatever is on the PC monitor and then you paste (usually ctrl+V) the image into whatever graphics editor you use and can crop it there.
    • This key together with Alt copies just the top open window (quite useful).

If neither of the above work, you may need to experiment with / without the F Lock key on.

BTW you can also use it to take a grab of a bit of video being displayed, and the video has to be playing in order to grab it, so a bit hit-and-miss. Resolution will be at your screen resolution in all cases.

Apologies if this is stuff you already know, but hope it's helpful to others with XP.
  • @Mark_the_Harp
    Big number of free utilities exists. Google for "freeware screenshot" or "freeware scree capture".
  • Guys, I am also waiting for formal reports, with StreamAnalizer screenshots, etc.
  • Ok I think the Panasonic engineers hoped that the GH2 would be hacked this time around. I've flash my camera half a dozen times now. It is solely the Encoder Settings 4 that is responsible for whether or not B frames are in the encode or not. The only reason why I thought it might be is because it is the only setting which 24p doesn't share with the others at default.

I was trying to get 1080i60 to get B frames, easy enough right, put the setting at the same as in p24 mode,8 , but no not so easy sure it gives you B frames the footage is horribly jerky and a low bitrate. At a whim I thought what the heck I will use the value of 16 since the original is 17, one less. 720p60 is 9 and 1080p24 is 8.
    Bam I have a 17mbps file with B frames that is still at 1080i60 and it seems beautiful so far. Will have to do more testing though as I didn't have a detailed scene, only a static with the fast whip pans.

This is Fun

1080i60 ES4=16 GOP=12
    1080i60 ES4=16.jpg
    1919 x 1038 - 138K
  • @Dazza

Thanks for your input.
    But again, remember to spend time and provide StreamAnalizer numbers and screenshots.
  • I added a screenshot, does that help?

Note the streamparser reports it at 1080p24W but it's not it's most definitely 1080i60 I can still see the interlacing and it handles the whip pans far better than p24

The bitrate figures didn't change at all.

Have done some more recording, with a smaller aperture and taking my camera on a flying "Starwars" run. Camera didn't crash at all, despite the high detail and motion. Getting codec breakdown of course though

But even in all these preliminary tests 1080i60 with B frames looks better than without it, at exactly the same bitrate

High Motion 1080i60 ES4=16 GOP=12
    High motion 1080i60 ES4=16.jpg
    1919 x 377 - 70K
  • @Dazza
    Yes :-)

Look at this clips using trial of Elecard StreamEye. Post screenshots also.
    We must be sure that it don't do any fancy things (look at reported 24p in wrapper).
  • Seems pretty good to my untrained eye, definitely 60i still, the codec recovers very quickly whenever the image gets a bit more stable.
  • @dkitsov

No that is plasmasmp and yes I enjoy his work as well.
  • Probably trying to run before I can walk but finding it difficult to get "1080 progressive" working without the camera saying the card speed is too slow. Have tried duplicating the encoding and GOP settings of both the 24p and the 720p60 modes to no avail.

I'm thinking the "Overall Bitrate" 1 & 2 do nothing but change the video tag information.