Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 Flow Motion v2 - 100Mbps Fast Action Performance & Reliability for Class 10 SD cards
  • 1036 Replies sorted by
  • @silvertonesx24 Congratulations on a professional topnotch production!

• Hey here's a final product filmed with FM 2.02- the "concert" scenes at the end are FM2, the handheld interview camera was AN444 Nebula sharp.

It worked pretty well, but in any situation with a high dynamic range (a spotlight on a performer), the dark areas would exhibit some extreme banding and noise, rendering the shot pretty much unusable. This also happened on Sanity during an emergency patch switch once I realized this live, so it's probably not FM2.

• This

I feel like many Gh2 shooters just don't understand what dynamite you've got here..

• Just used Flowmotion 2.2 today for a showreel shoot... The footage is the best I've seen from the GH2 thus far IMO. Thanks for all your hard work LPowell and Vitaliy!

• @Lpowell, thanks I shall have another read through those forums

• @kavadni I don't have much experience myself with 3D rigs.

Check http://www.personal-view.com/talks/categories/3d

• @LPowell. I am very close to starting some serious tests of my 3D rig, and from a 'I sort of (barely) understand it all' position I am thinking that FM would be a suitable patch. What are your thoughts on this?

• I am fully up to date; but a good point nonetheless.

• @sage Wondering if this was fixed in the cs6 6.02 update released September 6th. I'm still on CS5, but will upgrade soon...

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2012/09/premiere-pro-cs6-6-0-2-update-hidpi-for-retina-display-bug-fixes-and-new-supported-gpus.html

thx

• Another CS6 diagonal noise workaround to avoid the aggressive chroma smoothing of 5d2rgb: Adobe Media Encoder 5.5 to prepare footage

H.264 Proxy:

23.97 Framerate - 960X1080 - 16X9 Widescreen Pixel Aspect Ratio - VBR 1 Pass - 11 Target Bitrate - 15 Max Bitrate - Keyframe Distance of 6

59.97 Framerate - 640X720 - 16X9 Widescreen Pixel Aspect Ratio - VBR 1 Pass - 11 Target Bitrate - 15 Max Bitrate - Keyframe Distance of 9

• @Sage Sorry, I gave up on it since I wasn't able to produce a reliable 3-GOP version of 720p mode.

• Can you send me a 3 gop flavor of FM2? I had much success w/ an* IPPP structure (4)

• @Sage While developing Flow Motion v2, I test both 3-frame and 6-frame GOP versions of 720p mode. Although I initially favored the 3-frame GOP, it was unable to match the quality and stability of the 6-frame GOP. In terms of frame-to-frame continuity, my conclusion is that GOP-length is only an indirect factor. I think it's the frequency of key frames that counts, and with FM2, all video modes produce 8-10 key frames per second.

• Perhaps it'll be sorted w/ an update... they are very good about this [Adobe]. Anyway, excellent work. Also, please consider making a lower # gop 720, at higher bitrate. This'll compromise 1080i for such variation, but there is a greater headroom for 720, and you'll do an excellent job of it.

• @Sage To my knowledge, there's nothing "non-standard" about the B-frames in Flow Motion v2 video files. I'm using Adobe CS5.5 to import the MTS files, so if there's a problem with CS6, I'll have to see if I can use the trial version to evaluate it.

• Win7 on my end;

CS6 seems to be incorrectly interpreting the non standard B frames that our weird community generates. A confirmed solution for now - 5D2RGB

(not to mention, this results in a butter smooth editing performance..)

• @L1N3ARX @Frame @Sage

It sounds like this is a Quicktime import issue on the Mac? I haven't seen anything like this on Win7, so I'm not sure what the cause or solution may be.

• The work is fantastic Lpowell; I can confirm having the same diagonal noise issue; hope this can be sorted out so I can use the patch on the next project. ++

• @Meierhans I've seen links here and there to that Panasonic recovery software, but it seems like their site's been updated since the link was originally spread. Any idea where it's located now, or its name?

• Thank Mirror Yes she's still working , but is hard to find the films !!

• @valpopando: very nice footage. Is the camera still working?

• ROLLEIFLEX memories

• LPowell, Thank you for your patches and advices, In one of my GH2 I have the FM v2.01 and it looks great, but I have a stupid question: when I apply your patch, should I "check" any settings and change anything, or should I leave it as is and just proceed to to save the "patch"? Thank you again

• @LPowell I know how much work you have put in to Flow Motion as others have done with their patches. I am certainly reaping the rewards of Flow Motion's reliability and a big thanks for that. Do you think there is any more that can be done to improve the blocking in underexposed/low light situations with Flow Motion? I normally shoot HBR 25psf, smooth all -2. Sandisk Ex Pro 64GB 95mb/s. Cheers!

• @L1N3ARX I see it, it is in the blacks. Are you on a Mac? I had the same problem, check page 7 of this thread. Seems to be Mac/Quicktime related. Hope it gets fixed

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions