Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
LanParte Power Kit - GH2 compatibility?
  • 55 Replies sorted by
  • @feha I think it's their own brand, nice someone has thought about GH2 users for a change. They seem awkward to get info out of though, if you go to contact us you need to have an order no to talk about to get through. Nice and cheap as well!

• @feha I've ordered that global media pinch and one of their batteries, plus a couple of lanpartes, will let you know how it is once it's arrived.

• @feha I got the pinch and battery today, their comms were very responsive and shipping was v fast, unfortunately just connected the battery to the coupler and inserted and GH2 says cannot use this battery. God knows why but it's pretty depressing after spending $1K on bloody batteries and pinches.

• @belfryman - that is depressing, mine arrives on Monday - although its for a GH3, I've got the official Panasonic Coupler on order as well so hopefully that makes the difference from the Ebay ones.

I've ordered plenty of things from GMP although the GMP branded headphones didn't last - but they are a responsive company and I have never had a problem with them. Their batteries seem to be well used and have a good reputation.

• @belfryman , it is strange, as 8.4 volts should work with the coupler ... There might be a voltage drop when you connect to 8.4 that can be a reason "cannot use this battery" any documentation ?

• I thought the official batteries were 7.2 volts. Surely 8.4 would work.

• @feha No, have emailed them to see if they have any ideas but I wonder if it's because I have to put a connector between the cable from the pinch and the chinese knock off coupler, maybe losing voltage there? I've never used a voltmeter would I be able to measure the voltage at the end of the connector do you know? I know you do some wonderous DIY electronics.

@ disordinary Yes, I've just ordered the official coupler, hopefully the size will fit the cable that comes with the pinch whereas the ebay one needs a connector. They seem a great company, I was really happy and it all feels very solid kit and the pinch looks better than in their pics, the font they used isn't quite as horrible in reality. I'd be v happy to go with them again in every way, just not getting the result at the mo. I'm going away so please let me know if it works with the official coupler.

I've always read the supply was 8.4, though there are some of these systems running off the sony batteries that I think are 7v so presumably there's some latitude whatever.

• @feha do you know why no-one uses the lanparte v mount power distributor to power the GH2 from the 9v output? I've read of people using 9v batteries but also read people saying you can't use the lanparte pinch to power it. I've got one as well as this pinch. Am in communication with GMP about it who are trying very hard to help, have to say their after sales service is fantastic. @disordinary sorry, messaged you above but left a gap after the @

• @belfryman the 9 volt output from lanparte or any similar power solution might be to high as there will be no drop of voltage, and there is a high current a lot of Ampers. To avoid any damage the current for GH2 should be between 8.2 - 8.6 stable voltage. Other batteries that have 9v output they have low current and when you connect GH2 the voltage drops probably to 8.4 volts.

I don't recommend to experiment and brick your GH2, the best solution is to use some external step down converter from 12v and get out stable 8.4v.

• @feha thank you for that. Was a bit confusing people using 9v solutions. So it's the combination of voltage and amps that can do the damage because more amps means the voltage will stay high. Hmm. Those converters are pretty pricey aren't they. Might buy a couple of these instead...http://www.cinegearpro.com/cgpro-external-power-kit-for-panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh2.html if I could reverse the connection on the coupler might be useful! Or these http://www.cinegearpro.com/cgpro-5000mah-li-ion-rechargeable-battery-grip-for-panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh2.html and save the pinches till i have something that can use them.

• @belfryman converters are not expensive, check this below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150950600293

put it in small plastic box and you can use as input any voltage 3-35V and get very stable output to any voltage 2.25-30V you can adjust to 8.4v output.

It will keep 8.4v with any input 3-35V , this means you can use any battery or voltage you want ...

• @feha Unfortunately my DIY is DOA only it never arrives anyway. If there isn't a switch that says on I'm lost, so was thinking I needed one of these which is mega money for nuffin http://dolgin.net/zen_dolgin/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18&products_id=102

• I say nuffin but has nice safety features and a bracket!

• My Pana coupler amongst other things should arrive tomorrow - if it clears customs today that is. I'll let you know if it works with the GMP battery plate as soon as I find out, at least on the GH3.

If it doesn't work with the official coupler on the GH3 then you can probably assume that it wont work with the official coupler on the GH2.

I can probably try it with my GH1 as well, that is if I can find the coupler.

• @belfryman even with the official Pana coupler on the GH3 it says cannot use this battery... We might have to wait for the hack to allow it to work.

What does Global Media Pro have to say about it?

Edit:

After some googling, I came across this: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?300445-GH3-Power-Specs-Tests-DIY

People have gotten it working with 8.4v although it does eventually shut down, otherwise it works with 9v which the GMP base plate doesn't do.

• @disordinary Oh how frustrating. Big waste of money then. Argh. Thanks for the info.

• @disordinary As @feha said the 9v from the lanparte pinch, which I also bought, silly me, will fry it though. I'd emailed lanparte as well who said definitely don't use it. Ho hum, should have gone for the cheap and cheerful kits.

• @belfryman PM me so i will try to make some custom solution for you (cheap) and you will be able to use lanparte pinch or whatever you want ...

• @belfryman I'm discussing with GMP - they are keen to make it work as the GH series of Cameras is quite popular. I'm guessing the fact that both you and I are berating them adds to it.

It should work with the 8.4v I would have thought. I'm based in the same country and GMP so I've offered to help where I can.

@feha can you power it off the 8.4v out?

• @disordinary , yes you can power it from 3-30v no problem ... I'm thinking out a simple solution ...

• @disordinary Hi, thanks for the update, sorry for delay, I've been away. Yes, seems weird it doesn't just work, frustrating having bought it and the battery for that specific purpose, wonder what amps it's putting out at 8.4V. Great that you're there. Have you heard any more from them?

• @belfryman haven't followed up yet - I'm preparing for a project in a couple of weeks so looking for an alternative at the moment will follow up with them when I've got a bit of time to do it, I'm guessing most of their products are just OEM from China, or at least are engineered and customised by an OEM rather than the Auckland staff. But I might see if I can pop in next time I'm up there so they can at least see what the issue is - they seemed fairly knowledgeable about electronics, at least enough to make me think that they know what they are talking about - I know bugger all myself.

• @disordinary @feha asked about the current, they said depends on battery and load but is designed for canon CX00 cameras, max over 2.5A. Like you disordinary it means not a lot to me. Nick

• If its as simple as different batteries putting out different currents then maybe when I'm in auckland next I can pop in and try a few batteries to see if one works.

• @disordinary Hmmm, I bought one of their batteries and 2 x lanparte, wonder if lanparte would work, not understanding this at all. Fried one GH2, slightly nervous about frying another! They said they had passed it to R&D and may be some time as had designed for canons and not taken lumix into account.