Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Beginners: Basic hacks questions, series 2
  • 318 Replies sorted by
  • The number doesn't matter.

• Hi, this is a fairly basic question, but better safe than sorry.

The PTools FAQ says "Choose a filename that is the same as the original firmware .bin file, except with a different number. (e.g. GH2__V11.bin instead of GH2__V10.bin)"

I've been trying out a variety of hack settings. Once I've flashed a file named GH2__V11.bin, if I want to flash new settings, do I have to increase the number and name the next file GH2__V12.bin, etc, so as not to confuse the camera? If I get to GH2__V19.bin, will naming a file V20.bin create problems?

Or is it possible "replace" the settings on a .bin file with different ones and save it under the same ##.bin name?

Thanks!

• Hi there newb here: could someone direct me to the best totally stable settings with the iso unlocked on the GH2. I did try mpgxsvcd's 725B no adverse settings with the newest ptools n firmware but I am not having luck with that - he is helping me out with it at the mo. But are there any other ones I could try? As I would like to use it tomorrow.Thanks!

Edit: I get the feeling no ones going to answer me in this thread anyway but mpgxsvcd helped sort out his settings with me so thanks to him :D - I guess I may try out the most popular settings - higher bit-rate ones later on for now I will be trying his out anyway...

• I get an error message: "Access violation at address 447CC3EE in module 'comdlg32.dll'. Read of address 00000000."

• Hello,

Started up Ptool and loaded up GH2_V11.bin, just to look through it since I'm new to all this. Closed it when I was done, without saving anything. Went to start it again later, and now it is glitching, and wont even load the gui properly, let alone load the firmware again.

Why is that? What am I doing wrong?

• Hi again, anyone had experience shoooting weddings in 24p? I´m in PAL land, I got GH1 and GH2, I know the GH2 has more quality in 24p ( more bitrate ), that make me want to try 24p. The final deliver would be BR, so it is supported by blue ray, and actually most people have full HD progresive TV. Aparently there is no risk except with some lights (50HZ) but some people say that shutter 50 should avoid the risk. What do you think? Any advice? What I´m trying to do is with the help of 24p, shooting style and lighting, achieve more film look, but maybe I´m going to a hell in editing and maybe I shoud choose 25p...advantages and cons?..Thanks guys

• @matthere Thank you. Part of this job is about interviews of 10-15 minutes each one. So I guess I need "spanning", right? Do you know which hack can I use for this purpose, with a 32/95 card? I would use Sedna, but maybe this card is not enough to interviews.

• @moses, yes you right. I renamed, but It happens before that step. Simply trying to open it in the same folder of Quantmybaby doesn´t work. The same works perfect with other patches in other folders but not with this one. I will try to download again the patch. Valkirie, flowmotion, cluster....just fine

• @fran, when you save the firmware you do rename it to GH2__V12.bin?

• @FernandoAndre the main reason why most people use the 64/95mbs is that it allows spanning on some of the very high bit rate settings, and if spanning is required the 64/95mbs is the only way to go sometimes (it beats the 32/95mbs in some situations) If you do not require spanning, I believe the 32gb/95mbs card will run most if not all of the higher bit rate settings, but you may be restricted to shots that are less than aprox. 4gb in length (the duration of the 4gb file will depend on the data rate in the setting).

• mozes, yes, my mistaque, I mean firmware. But the firmware is ok, I download it from panasonic and with several patches work just fine. I will try to download again quantmybaby and see waht happen. PTool and formaware in the same folder open fines, it is just eith this patch, so I will try to download again. Thanks mozes, if you figure out something just tell me.

• @balazer Sorry, I did the wrong question. What I need to know is if with a Sandisk 32GB 95mbps instead of 64GB I can use the same hacks that it allows. I'm trying to find this information but each site says different things, and different users reports different issues. A bit confused and afraid to buy, since I'm buying 2 times the same thing...

• @fran with software you mean firmware?
    if so, then download it again from the panasonic site.

• There are lots of other PTool encoder settings that will work with slower cards: Sanity, Cake, Flow Motion. http://personal-view.com/talks/categories/hacks

• I really need help here. I bought a 64/95 card from US and the clearance customs of my country stopped the shipping to charge the taxes. Problem is I got a very important job to shoot in the next week, and I will need to buy a temporary card for it.

Which other card can I use with Sedna Aq1 patch? I read in other thread this hack only works with 64GB/95mbps. There is a way to safely use a high patch with any other card less expensive than this? I know it's a newbie question, but I'm in trouble here lol. Thanks any help.

• I never had a problem with PTool before and I want to share if you people can help. I´m new with GH2 and want just test patches. I tested Lpowell and some driftwood apocalypsis now and everything is ok. But I bought a fast SD card and wanna try big bitrate hack, so as allways I put in the same folder 176 Quantmybaby. The weird thing is out of this folder ptool 6.66 allways read GH_11 software, but inside the folder tell me wrong software. I thought the mistake was that maybe it is for GH1 software, but I tried with GH_13 and tells me the same, wrong software. When I tried with Mysteron Burst, was fine. What am I doing worng? Thanks a lot Wich driftwood patches work with GH1 please?

• Vitaliy has updated the hack. And there is patches for 25p also.

• I have Sandisk Extreme 45mb/s SD cards for the job. My main concern is whether or not Vitaliy has updated the hack since Panasonic's latest firmware update (which included 25P functionality) to allow customization of parameters already available for 24p

• @Bania

There is no straight anwser to that. I recom using some ready made patch from driftwood or others. You will find werry high bitrates in those. But remember bitrate is not everything, and with high bitrate you need fast sd card. There is also other factors like GOP, matrix and so on. You just must to test patches and choos yourself what best suit for you (do you like intra or longer GOP). There is lot of information in Driftwoods and other patch makers topics. I use in a moment Driftwoods CM Night patch and it produce something like150 mb/s.

• Please forgive me if it has been asked before but I've been scouring the net for the last couple of hours and honestly can't find a straight answer to this question:

Is 25fps/1080p with hack and cranked bit rate (eg. 176mb/s) possible or not?

I've got a project starting on Wednesday that needs to be shot to PAL standard. My guess is that this still isn't possible, since I haven't stumbled across anything to the contrary. But I would absolutely love for someone to tell me I'm wrong.

• Yessir! Perfecto! Thanks so much, Balazer!

• Make sure you have the top dial set to creative movie mode (the projector icon). Then press menu and go to motion picture, exposure mode, and set it to M.

• Hi balazar, Thanks again for the reply. I went to menu, setup, and chose reset. I'm still not seeing anything other than exposure increment and iso adjustment which is controlled by using the spin wheel (press to switch between iso and exposure excrement rather than fstop and shutter like it use to be) I read all the facts and found nothing on this. Any other ideas? Thank you. Anyone have thus happen?

• It is necessary when something unexplained happens. It is in the FAQ, in the instructions for how to flash your camera.

• Thanks balazer. I guess that's a necessary step when using this hack? Or am I reading you wrong.