Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Beginners: Basic hacks questions, series 2
  • 318 Replies sorted by
  • @Marown Try the GH3 Matrix DREWnet variation on the Driftwood settings thread.

• Marown, take a look on the Flowmotion 2.02.

• Hello everyone!

I bought my GH2 because i wan to make air movies with it. Im flying a Copter with a Camare Gimbal where the GH2 take place in.

I want to get the best stabl picture out of it with a crack.

Can you prefere me a 1080p hack for my GH2 somthing about 75 Mbps? Here a video from this thing in aktion: www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ACQvk-rKeg

This video is taken from the NEX but you can fly this thing with the GH2 so i bought the GH2 because you can crack it.

I hope you guys habe some good cracks to try for me =)

Thank you very mutch!!!

best regards Marown

• Hmm, I think I'm missing something. There are a lot of awesome videos made by GH2 users on youtube, even much better than this one in matter of framing, composition, color grading and more interesting subjects.

But when you try to watch these superb videos on fullscreen 1080p, all the magic is gone. And this one that I posted here keeps the awesome look when maximized. That's why I thought it could be the 244mbps hack. But maybe it's just the rendering setting...?

• Skill. An unhacked GH2 will do that, if you know how.

• Thanks balazer. But watching this video in fullscreen 1080p, I can notice it's quite different from anothers youtube GH2 videos. There is something more like a Blackmagic footage, or even a Red One. What could be the point here?

• None of the hacks achieve more than about 150 Mbps. You can put a higher setting in Ptool, but it makes no difference. 244 Mbps was a very old experiment.

• Please someone help on this. I just watched some videos saying "244mbps hack" on title. Which hack is this? Or it's a matter of changing the bitrate before save the hacked firmware on PTool?

For example, when I load Sedna AQ1 on PTool, it cames with a default video bitrate of 154000000. If I change it to 244, so it will be a "244 mbps hack" ? Or this change will not affect the final patch?

One of these videos:

• @benjamindickerson I just successfully applied my first hack after making it in Ptools 3.66d on Mac OS X 10.8.2. No issues whatsoever. I used Wineskin (http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/) to create the wrapper for PTools with Wine 1.4.1 (latest stable version).

Which issues are you experiencing exactly?

• I'm having issues with pTool on OS X 10.8.2

Any solutions or ways to point me to the 'how to' resolves.

• is it best to use the newest v3.66d beta ptools with the older hacks like sedna?

• Well, this just came out of nowhere. I've been hacking my camera for quite some time now and never a problem. Today, I wanted to update a patch. I loaded it onto the SD card and popped it in the GH2. I turn the camera on and hit the play button... and nothing. It doesn't see the firmware update. It just loads the play screen.

Any idea what may be going wrong or how I can fix it? Thanks!

UPDATE - I think I figured it out. I was trying to downgrade to stock firmware 1.1. Ended up just saving out a patch with no settings. But I think the key is that you have to downgrade to 1.0 and then back up to 1.1. Right?

• I had a question about my patch. I downloaded a sanity patch, a driftwood patch, an orion patch, each with setting of resolutions well over 80 to 150. Everything seemed to be going well, and I thought it was working as my ISO was hacked, and I could raise it to any extent I wanted, but when I looked at the footage, the file sizes didn't seem to be nearly big enough. Each time, around 20 to 25 mb/s. I'm assuming this is showing the hack hasn't worked properly. Considering some aspects of the hack worked, I was wondering if there may have been a reason for the hack to be not working?

Thanks!

• I have used Apocalypse Now 7... I wanted to try FM so I formatted the card using Windows and then on camera..But when I loaded FM and pressed PLAY to update, nothing happens. Now even if I try to load any other setting nothing happens. What am I doing wrong suddenly? Is it cause of Version Increment?

• I have a question regarding cards and patches. This was probably already asked and awnsered but I can't find anything about it by searching. So, I put Sedna AQ1 A on my GF3. No error message but the camera freezes after recording. I just got a 16gb/ class 10/ 95mbps card. I tried Sedna AQ1 B and it works perfect but I need to shoot full detail wide shots. Do I need to do something before my first shots, does I.R. affect it, or does it only work with a bigger card? Any answers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ted

• Usually you can use the default increment setting. If the camera doesn't recognize the firmware image, try a higher setting.

• I have a stupid question regarding patch increment, I know it's a frequently asked question but I didn't find the answer using the search function... The patched firmware I'm currently using is v12, when I'll try another patch, can I save it as v12 too ? Or must i save it as v13 ? In fact is the whole increment thing just a way for Ptool not to overwrite the current firmware used to create the patch or is there any other reason involving the GH2 upgrade process ?

Thanks !

• @stonebat, i have never see it in the menu?
    do you mean Exposure compensation (-5EV to +5EV, in 1/3EV increments)
    Its in the Quick Menu, if i am not wrong.

• I just can't find "ISO Increment" option from GH2 menu. The option lets choose 1/3 or 1 stop ISO increment. Anyone having the same issue?

• HI, Complete newbie here... So I was wondering what are the most efficient and best hacks for the GH2 out there... so that I can focus on them.. I hear the Driftwood Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now' seems to be the latest and best hack.. is this true?.. I know hacks do different things so it is a matter of taste... but there must be a general consensus as to what are the best hacks for quality... any help? maybe I am missing the place that describes each hack in detail and where to download them?? I am new to this so sorry for the newbie questions... thanks

• Need a patch that'll get me nice looking 720p24 footage off my GH2. Looking to shoot boring lectures and the like, don't need super high bitrate or 60p.

Any suggestions? I have seen some boxes that are unchecked in ptools with 720p? Current I have some super duper 110Mbps patch that eats up my $$$$ SD card like a vicar after the choir boy! Need to be able to shoot a 3 hours lecture with my 64GB card and edit on Mac Book Air.

• matthere, thank you this helps address my concerns :)

• @kameraguy some of the footage created by settings available here, is pushing the camera to its limits, both in its ability to record and the camera's ability to play back footage recorded. In some instances the camera can record footage, but the playback is "too much" in camera.. This is not connected to the card used. I have found this to be the case with some of the Drewnet settings, the camera records well, but just can't playback, for some users, in-camera playback is important, for some the picture quality achieved by the setting "trumps" the need to playback in camera, and the setting is still used :)

A good way of checking the 64/95mbs card is to test spanning (the continual recording of files >4gb in length) as this seems to be the major difference in the 64/95mbs card compared to other cards, try spanning on a range on settings, and refer to other users feedback on settings.

• Hi All,

I would first like to say I hope this thread is appropriate for my question as I am a beginner to GH2 hacking. With this said, I familiarized myself with the hacking process and loaded the Apocalypse Now DREWnet soft hack and that seems to be working fine in the camera. However my experience is that with the SanDisk 64GB/95 class 10 card, I sometimes get situations where in-camera playback gets stuck mid-playback. It doesn't happen all the time, but I think it happens more consistently in darker situations with high-iso (assuming where more noise is prevalent...not sure). Shooting in 720p, 24H, 12800 (was experimenting with this ISO).

Anyway, I wanted to ask if this is to be expected in certain situations? I had read that this hack is stable for others in terms of in-camera playback with the 64GB SanDisk class 10, but perhaps i missed any discussion that there may be situations in-camera playback can still fail with this card. If this is the case, i would appreciate someone confirming and helping me understand the reason for my own growth in understanding how the hacks work.

I also would appreciate this confirmation as I understand there are counterfeit cards in the marketplace. I bought my card from Amazon and I tried to avoid a chance of receiving a counterfeit card by making sure I bought from Amazon as a direct fulfillment source...but I guess I'll need to conduct further testing to be certain my card is performing optimally.

Regarding testing of a card, any advice on methods to verify a card is working optimally?

Thank you kindly, Christian

• I've tried dozens of patches, and the one currently on my camera is 'bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO1'. So, today I decided to try Flowmotion, and now all of a sudden it won't load. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, I did all the usual steps: formatted in camera, ran PTools 3.65d, loaded GH2__V11.bin, clicked F to load Flow Motion settings, named the new firmware GH2__V12.bin with 2 underscores, clicked play on the camera in Creative Movie Mode, now I get the 'No Valid Picture' error. I'm stuck!

Oh yes, my card is an Extreme Pro 95 MB 32 GB. Thanks in advance :)

Update: I turned it off and put in a fresh battery, and now it's working :)