Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Olympus E cameras topic
  • 43 Replies sorted by
  • The GH1 will remain a legend (along with the 5DMkII) long after Olympus and Panasonic move on. I doubt there will be a comparable milestone in the remaining years of the AVC videocam generation.
  • +1. GH1 is a legend. So is GF1.

See this guy's photos by his GF1. link1 link2 link3. All MF. He hasn't seen true GF1 successor yet.

I know very good Canonikons. One with 40D. She had it for 4 years. Now she's just pondering about getting a new one... sometimes next year. The other with D40. Haha. Still using CS3.
  • Indeed GH1 is great...but...not to throw a cat among the pidgeons...this sony HX9 compact produces better HD video in good light....obviously not in bad light (with its small sensor limitation)
    Also as a stills cam...the GH aint too hot...Ironically RAW from GF1 is better ive found.
  • Guys, this is topic about Olympus cameras. :-)
  • Sorry!
  • "The GH1 will remain a legend" I think it certainly is a camera that not only captured people's imaginations but also really created a new user base. Off to try out "max lat" as I have been away for six weeks. I have to say, though, the GH2 is very easy to use. Taking it on this long road trip and shooting a few thousand photos--it is a very good still cam. And in low light, not to bad! So Olympus, I like the 16 bit audio, now give me 24p, full manual and no jello!!!!!!!
  • GH1 is a must have. Keep it. Then GH2 or E-P3?

E-P3 has fuking fast AF. Almost no hunting. I have GH2... and I see some hunting.

The last video uses Zuiko 12-60 that doesn't support CDAF. Before pressing the shutter, the touch screen shows "continuous" focusing. 43 lenses except 14-54 mk2 are still slow in AF.

review 1
    review 2
  • GH1 for video and E-P3 for photo. Not a bad option... although I'm keeping GH1 and GH2.
  • Fast for photos but I think it still hunts and maybe slower in video mode from samples ive seen...either that or some of the sampleas are from ep1-2 lol
  • Interesting comments from the E-P3 manual about video recording:

Sensitivity can be set manually to values between ISO 400 and 1600; auto ISO sensitivity control is not available.

If [Image Stabilizer] is activated while recording a movie, the recorded image is enlarged
    slightly. Even if [Vertical IS] or [Horizontal IS] is selected, the setting for [Auto] is applied.

Stabilization is not possible when the camera shake is excessive.

With some art filters, [C-AF] operation is limited (implying that continuous auto-focus is normally available in movie mode).

When the inside of the camera becomes hot, shooting is automatically stopped to protect
    the camera.
  • Yeap. That's software based image stabilization. I heard Panny ILIS works on Oly body.
  • By software IS do you mean it's not Oly's image sensor optical IS? Too bad if that's the case.
  • IBIS is for photo only.
  • Pretty much good old same sensor for 3rd gen PEN. Raw sensor score isn't everything, but we know that's the weakest link for m43. Little more DR and gradation please. Make our lives little easier.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/News/DxOMark-news/Olympus-PEN-EP3-Image-Quality-Review

@LPowell Aren't you glad you got GH2 instead?
  • Yeah, the E-P3 doesn't seem to deliver anything we haven't seen before. I recently tried out an Olympus E-620, which I returned as soon as the E-P3 was announced. The E-620 does low-light photos well, but is otherwise unremarkable and stodgy (e.g. no SD card slot). If the E-P3 had OIS in video mode it might've been a worthy replacement for the GF1 for ultra-compact nighttime shooting. Olympus seems intent on fading away quietly, if only Panasonic would buy them out and reissue Oly's fabulous Four Thirds lenses with M/43 mounts!
  • +1. 43 is quietly going away. See the flood of used 43 gears in the market. I have no plan to get 43 gears.

If PEN fails, Olympus gotta sell their camera patents to Panasonic. IBIS, JPEG engine, IR remote sensor, Wireless TTL, 1/250 sync speed!!!!

Then Olympus can make optics for all major systems and stay profitable.