Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Collimating anamorphic lenses, m43 body request
  • I am hoping to ship one to Olexandr of Olex Camera Services in Ukraine so that he has a body to use for more accurate anamorphic lens collimation for my GH2 -- and all anamorphic lenses to be used on GH2s in the future! I have been speaking to him and he doesn't need a working model, just something to help him calibrate more accurately.

Can I give some money to someone to ship their dead/damaged/non-functioning GH2 to him?

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • Can you provide some details? What is "accurate anamorphic lens collimation" ?

• Ukraine-based Olexandr Kalynychenko repairs and services professional cinema cameras and lenses (he seems to specialize in Lomo and other Russian glass). From what I have read he is of the few people with the proper equipment to collimate anamorphic lenses which as I understand it is a re-alignment of the glass elements for optimal light dispersion (I am certain that there is a much better explanation of the process out there somewhere). The result is less distortion and possibly an increase in sharpness.

• Here is his website: https://sites.google.com/site/olexserviceskonvas/

There are some pictures of the equipment that he uses under "Lens Repair and Service".

• I still do not understand your point.
    And how GH2 body can help here.

This thing is high cost individual lens repair service.

• Olexandr said that he could do a better job of collimating the lens with the camera attached -- something about being able to look for the sensor's reflection in the glass. I am no expert and I don't know very much about optics but a lot of people swear by his work, so for the best result I want to make sure that he has what he needs.

• Still do not understand how hand collimating one specific, very costly lens is related.

As for body, he'll be very good with any m43 one. GF series are extra cheap.

• I didn't realize that the the GH2 and GF series would be so similar. I'll have to look into that.

• @shane

Are you referring to ordinary spherical lenses used with anamorphic adapters, the rare anamorphic lenses, or both?

• I can imagine someone coming up with a collimation setting for a specific adapter/lens/camera setup. For example, Eyepatch LA7200 tutorial says to screw the adapter straight onto the lens without using step rings. I'd say there would be an optimal distance setting here - and a collimator with all the equipment could find this, - but probably only for a particular combo.

• @Roberto

As I understand it the Lomo squarefront anamorphic lenses and spherical lenses function and focus as one united, and therefore need to be collimated together for the best possible performance.

You raise a good point about the LA7200. I have seen Mark's tutorials and I recently picked one up (though I am still waiting on the adapter ring), but as with all anamorphics, attaching it to a small DSLR-style camera is not what the manufacturers had in mind. Perhaps re-collimation would be possible -- it could certainly open up a lot of possibilities with that lens.

I'm going to wait a bit until my bank account recovers before I start getting into that, but it's a very good thought!