Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
BlackMagic: All shortcomings in one place, discussion
  • 44 Replies sorted by
  • Few more issues:

• Still no screen/key lock exist, so you can accidently do anything.
    • Internal battery could be serious source of heat, and paired with constantly active monitor it can significantly reduce claimed DR and noise figures.
  • Metadata issue - Only compatible with FCPX and DaVinci Resolve.

• @Macalincag

Do you know format differencies?

What format they must implement for other programs to see their metadata?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

That's a good question and I'd like to know that myself.

• From internal battery topic:

You need to ship whole camera to them to just replace battery ($80 for work + shipping, insurance, import taxes, can be significant sum if you ship it outside).

• re: ssd connectors, should not be a problem if one is using a macbook pro (or other compliant laptop) for monitoring / emptying ssd when it gets full, rather than switching ssd's constantly. Should not take long with the thunderbolt interface.

• If this camera had HDMI, people would be complaining that it was missing HDSDI.

If this camera had USB3.0 people would be complaining that it didn't have Thunderbolt for extra speed for the large files.

Obviously it'd be nice to have everything in a camera but for 3,000, you can't really ask for more. It has what matters in my opinion: resolution, dynamic range, and a good color space.

• @Xenocide38

I think you choose wrong topic. Check the title. I see no reason to have "but for xxx it is ideal" things here.

• The power button requires a long depress to turn the camera on or off. No accidental switching for me yet.

The SSD's have been used in the Hyperdeck now for nearly 2 years. BMD don't seem to the ink the connections are a problem.

The HDMI was dropped in favour of the more professional and robust HD-SDI.

• Oh, and the camera doesn't seem to get very hot. Certainly a lot less to physically hold than a 5D that's been on for a while. For that matter an EPIC, RED or even Alexa get warmer.

The camera is a single piece of aluminium so I guess it's like a giant heatsink....

jb

• The SSD's have been used in the Hyperdeck now for nearly 2 years. BMD don't seem to the ink the connections are a problem.

They are not good, as I used to insert 3.5" and 2.5" HDDs and one SSD a lot.

The HDMI was dropped in favour of the more professional and robust HD-SDI.

This I know. But this is shortcoming topic after all :-)

Oh, and the camera doesn't seem to get very hot.

It is good thing. Did you made any tests considering dependency of noise from temperature or continuous shooting time?
    Peltier cooler is very good, but it is also known to produce big amount of heat by itself, I used one long time ago.

• The sensor calibration hasn't yet been done. I know heat affects this, but I can't tell really until they finish this step.

• I don't think this was mentioned yet:

• Camera has sensor size smaller than GH2, yet it does not accept M43 lenses

IMHO it would make much sense to put M43 mount on BMCC instead of EOS. Then one could use both M43 glass, and also EF glass via adapters.

Better yet, swappable adapter M43 / EF that should come with BMCC body - if both are controlling lenses electronically (aperture, IS...)

• it would be nice if you they'd also have a version with a 2/3" IMS mount

• Regarding Lens Mount options: have a read of this post http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/66174#Comment_66174

B4 and PL look feasible to me

• @feha At the event they said the thunderbolt port can carry a live feed for monitoring, so a simple thunderbolt-hdmi adapter may suffice. Don't know if that will be included in release firmware, or not.

• I found this on the BlackMagic forum, and thought it was so good I had to steal it. Thanks, Tom!

"Dear Blackmagic design,

When I eventually get my camera, I won't shoot with no light and complain about sensor artefacts, I won't purchase an unsupported SSD and complain about dropped frames, I won't complain that the camera is too heavy, or too light, I won't do whip pans and complain about rolling shutter, I won't blame the motion cadence of 24p as being a defect with the camera, I won't film in RAW mode and then complain about it eating up hard drive space, I won't resell my camera with a $1000 mark up, I won't ignore all the expert advice on how best to expose the camera and instead post a comment about the noise performance on an underexposed shot, I won't compare this camera to one which costs more than 10x the price and neglect to consider that perhaps any difference between the cameras is inherently linked to the price difference, I won't push the footage 5 stops above iso 1600 and complain about hot pixels, I won't use a dirt cheap SSD dock and wonder why my footage is getting corrupt in the transfer, I won't complain that the tiny built in reference mic doesn't record DTS 7.1 HD because sound is so important to me - but not so important that I would ever have a dedicated sound recordist on a shoot, I won't complain that even though it can do 30fps raw frames with 13-stops of dynamic range for $3000 - it cant do it at 120fps because it has to adhere to the laws of physics and thermal dissipation, I won't complain that it comes with some free software which previously cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and it might be beneficial to me to perhaps learn some new software of which there are tones of support material online as well as it being fairly intuitive anyway.......

I just want to film some beautiful video with all the advantages this camera has to offer."

• Incidentally, the BMCC forum revealed that the first few MFT mount BMCCs have started shipping to "beta testers", including one in Germany. This appears to be confirmed by Mr Brawley... so hopefully, full manufacturing can't be too far behind. Maybe we have a chance to get our BMCC MFT before the middle of the year.... :-)