Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
85mm best lens to for film making?
  • 77 Replies sorted by
  • I had the Zeiss 85/1.4 and Nikon 85/1.4 on my Kodak SLR/n and I like the Nikon. In my film days, I had the Zeiss 85/1.4 on Rollei 3003 and the Canon 85/1.2 on F1N. The Canon L has the lowest contrast.

• The Samyang 85mm on the 5D is very sharp. CA is present if shooting against high contrast backgrounds from F/1.4, reduced @ 2.0 and mostly gone by 2.8. Again this becomes apparent depending on the nature of your shooting. I would say it is ideal for follow focus work as the focus ring is really dampened and smooth - hard to pull quickly. I haven't had the pleasure to own a zeiss yet but I'm sure it's optically better.

Personally, I find traditional focal lengths on M4/3 sensor awkward, you have to work around the FoV to compose what you want. Generally it feels I need an extra 4-7mm's wider. Moving back is usually the solution but effects compression of BG.