Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
AN "Valkyrie", GOLGOP3-13, GOP3ZILLA, natural, Freeze-less Reliable All-round GOP3 Settings :-)
  • 1001 Replies sorted by
  • @flaschus what setting is that?

• @bkmcwd... very impressed with how well it grades.. everything! plz chk it out ASAP...

screenshot@ 160iso, 1/50, 135mm@ f16 standard -2,-2,0,-2

VALKYRIE-BOOM.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
  • @soru very nice footage, just got a chance to look at it now.

• @vicx thanks for your comment. I just softened the highlight to some clips by tweaking curve a little bit, but the whole color is not changed. AWB, Nos(-2 except color)

• @VICX I'm using Media Player Classic - Home Cinema and just saving the frame as a PNG. Straight out of the camera Auto WB Iso 800 Standard -2 14-140 lens

This patch has been extremely impressive.

• @soru Beautiful and professional results from very skilful work. It looks so clean that I assume there is skilful processing and grading also involved. I say this because the picture is so very very good viewed frame by frame - exceptional.

@peternap Attached is a visualisation of the frame you posted. Can you disclose what viewer you are using to produce the PNG file? If this frame is representative of the footage straight out of the camera (no grading or noise reduction) then it is a very strong endorsement for the patch you are using (particularly with this subject matter, it is very clean). What are your settings for WB and ISO in this instance?

@cbrandin @Lpowell Thanks for further insights into the GH2 encoder and your patches.

BLtV_pn.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • @bkmcwd I'm not sure what your reservations about fall colors are with c!.3 I'm going to load one camera with GOLGOP3-13 and try it on dense foliage on the farm this week (It hasn't turned yet) but to be honest, I haven't been able to drive C 1.3 into fall back mode yet. Why do you think GOLGOP3-13 will be better?

This is the chart from last night

girl.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    stream-w-girl.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 781K
  • @soru

;)

@flaschus

"second file is good"

Since I recognize Fallback tables to be the safeguards, the stocks are used as they are in principle in my settings, but I am interested in what kind of good change there is in your combination.

• @bkmcwd

OK, I'll try GOLGOP3-13 with pleasure.

• @Mirrorkisser Thank YOU! :-)

"How high are the bitrates at 24p with golgop3-13?"

It is probably about 100-115M.

• @bkmcwd: I have to thank you in the first place for developing such a great setting!!

How high are the bitrates at 24p with golgop3-13? thank you

• @Mirrorkisser Thanks for using Valkyries! :-)

I am not sure people's subjective liking well. The purpose will be up to persons, even though they shoot the same "Autumn."

I am going to release soon more sharp Valkyrie. It may become the character somewhat near GOLGOP3-13. By such a reason, I wanted to tell soru "Please try GOLGOP3-13."

• @bkmcwd: I thought Soru used a Panny Lens, a scenario in which soft matrix fits the bill and works best?

I am using candidate 1.3 right now with a lot of old canon fd glass. It looks good, but you would perhaps recommend a sharper 444 matrix or golgop more for that scenario and setup? Thank you!

• @soru

"The autum is coming"

Yes! It is my most favorite season. :-)

Although based on your lens or composition, of course, the GOLGOP3-13 may be suitable rather than Valkyrie. Since TYPE-ZERO 1&2 are extreme settings, they may not be fit for natural fine depiction.

Since I have some variations of 444 matrices which had priority given to resolving more, I will also combine them with Valkyrie soon.

• @bkmcwd No I haven't yet, because I can't find the scene suitable for your sharpest setting now.

The autum is coming, the most briliant season for the nature same as spring. I'm looking forward to shot some red leaves in this autum.

(but I think before I use your newest gop3zilla you would release the next version as usual, because you are an incredible speed runner.)

thanks a lot for your effort, bkmcwd!

• @MovieArmada

Many thanks for comparison. I will see thoroughly later. :-)

@peternap

I am glad that C1.3 was helpful to you. :-) BTW, it is gorgeous...

• @flaschus

Hi! :-)

Although I have not tried flat 4 matrix of Nick yet, I think that it becomes a very extreme setting. Condition may become good if a few is adjusted.

@soru

Thanks always for your beautiful sample footages! :-)

"and also waiting for new gop3zilla and golgop3-13."

Did you already try the newest settings released on September 28?

• @fix

Having a super flat profile and then do heavy grading is not forgiven in 8bit realm. For that we need more color range, like the BM cam. I have one question for you. Do you think we can get much more out of the gh2 at this point?

I agree, the thing that would make a big difference is if we could patch in custom Film Modes.

• I took two cameras with me tonight and had a problem with the card in the one with Sanity. I had to grab the other with the 14-140 and that wasn't ideal. It was also the one with 1.3 loaded.

There is some noise but 1.3 handled it fine and it will clean up without any problems. Thanks BK!

contest.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • I have just uploaded a small settings 444 Clash/comparison.

Thanks to Personal View, Driftwood and bkmcwd. Hope you guys enjoy it. Made with a "soft" lens, NOT a lumix "sharp" lens. Please check the differences. This is a WIDE SHOT, so its a good comparison for WIDE SHOTS, for close ups or Skin Tones please don't mind this test.

I will try to run some tests on Lumix lens later. ADVICE: Run your own tests, it's definitely the best way for you to know what works for your project.

• I used valkyrie444 type-zero2 c1.1 for this. Thank a lot, bkmcwd.

and also waiting for new gop3zilla and golgop3-13. keep up good work!

• @bkmcwd.... HELLO! candidate 1.3 is most intriguing, and i enjoy it...

i have modified the c1.3 and inserted the boom matrix and am getting some stellar results...

perhaps you will have the cure, as it is making a few funky files for me.... here is the settings i have been trying (it is can.1.3 with the boom matrix)

**edit, after i put in the fallback matrix from boom, the files seems to be fine,,, second file is good

seta.ini
    seta.ini
  • @Lpowell

I defiantly care. I have used FM and other patches many times and they are all amazing compare to the original software.  No question about it.

I do heavily grading with most of my work. Example. Did this with a hacked gh1 a while back: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=dpV_TPaAqcA Wouldn't do it with the original software though (macroblock hell). Thanks to Vitaliy for making it possible. At that time the 5d had only 30p and d90 was the big hit...but not something I wanted to use.

What I'm trying to say. We have come to a point where we can't get much more out of the gh2's 8bit 4:2:0 matrix IMHO or any other 8bit cam for that matter. Sure we want more dynamic range.. But that will come with a cost. Having a super flat profile and then do heavy grading is not forgiven in 8bit realm. For that we need more color range, like the BM cam. Ironically the limited dynamic range from the gh2 is one of its strong features In my opinion, strictly talking about 8bit. It contains a max dynamic range which fits perfect when doing colorgrade of a scene that is proper lit. As what I learned from the zacuto revenge test (not all that serious on this one). If you are lazy and don't want to do a proper lighting of your scene, get one of the more expensive cams. If you have the time to light that scenes... Get a gh2 and it will look pretty much just as good on tv/web. In fact there is some truth in that. 

I have one question for you. Do you think we can get much more out of the gh2 at this point? 

Again, Thanks a bunch for your great afford on the truly amazing Flow Motion.

• @fix Your point about what the home viewer sees is valid, and accounts for why DVD resolution has been satisfactory for most consumers. However, that's a view solely of the tail-end of the cinematic food-chain. If you've ever tried to do serious color grading or keying on unhacked GH2 footage, I think you'd know very well "why we care". While low resolution and coarse color depth can often be fudged into something presentable, macroblock artifacts cannot be graded at all. It's a type of digital corruption that degrades image quality in an artificial manner that cannot be restored, only concealed.

Most of the work I did on Flow Motion v2 was not concerned with color rendition or cinematic quality. It was focused on identifying the sources of image corruption and reliability faults, and figuring out how to eliminate them. In addition, I was concerned with frame-to-frame motion continuity and propagation of aliasing artifacts. It was worth the effort to correct these problems in the camera, so I no longer have to deal with them over and over again in post.

• @Mirrorkisser We are at the same page. I agree to most of what you are saying and will always strive to get the best footage possible, believe me. I wanted to stir the water with my comment "why do we care". Rhetorical question you may say. A trained eye may see the difference, but its sadly subtle for most people. However macroblocking/mud in the shadows can easily be spotted by most people. But that problem was eliminated with earlier patches. Don't get me wrong though! I'm really thankful for all the work that's been done here. It's quite amazing and the gh1/2 wouldn't be the same without it. But these guys have squeezed the last drop out of the lemon.

What we really need at this point, is a 10bit< raw format. It would be great to squeeze something like that out of a gh2, but it's not going to happen.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions
Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters