Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Good cheap SDHC for hacked cameras
  • 66 Replies sorted by
  • I use a transcend class 10 with my gh1. I am running the Blackout-Ipowell patch and i normally get about 50mbps so my card is fine, but i have read reviews about ones that are duds. For anyone that got a dud, how likely is is that you will get one?
  • I've had no problems with ADATA class 10 cards -- they seem to easily go over 4 gigs -- once recorded a 2 hour interview on one no problem. Transcend good too. Good prices at B&H.
  • @Nic
    Just remember, if a 32gig card crashes, you lose 32 gig of footage. I rarely use more than 8 gig for that reason. ymmv.
  • 32Gb on the stock GH2 will get you about 3 hours.
  • I am considering the 32Gb for live event, where it will be an advantage not to have to change the card, but I actually dont know how much space the avchd codec is requiring, of cause that depends on what resolution and bitrate I choose. I will have a camera in a week, then --i can start to experiment :-)
  • +1 for Transcend class 10 cards. As with all storage, a card WILL fail at some point. The key is to have a backup solution in place and a good warranty. Transcend cards have a lifetime warranty.

I stick to 16gb cards for a few reasons:
    * Same price/gb as 32gb card (~$1.50/gb) (no savings going with the bigger card)
    * Multiple cards can be used in multiple cameras
    * If a card fails, I don't lose as much (only 16gb and not 32gb) and I still have another card to use
    * Limited recording time keeps me thinking about what I'm shooting, which results in less footage to sift through in post
  • is there any difference in the reliability of a 32gb card and a 16Gb card?
  • Does the Transcend Class 10 go past the 4GB limit and at what mbps?
  • I have the 32GB patriot LX, and its doesn't go past the 4GB limit at 42mbps.
  • Thx for answering, meanwhile I fund this review about the GH1 and recommended memory cards:

http://www.youtube.com/user/eyepatchentertainmen#p/search/3/FFggndkzClM

He recomends Scandisk, Panasonic Gold Class, and Patriot LX , while he is warning about Transcend claiming that the quality of the cards vary...

Anyhow I fell a little wiser now :)

• +1 for transcend class 10
  • @Nic

If you buy it from reputable seller like B&H.
  • How can you verify if the scandisk is original, if you buy it online, is it enough to trust a known seller as eg. bhphotovideo.com/' or Adorama?
  • I tried to find a SanDisk Extreme at the local Fry's Electronics, but they didn't stock them. So, I opted for a PNY Class 10 cheapy, which works great. And unlike the other cheap card I had lying around (a Kingston Class 10 Ultimate X 100x), the PNY actually works past the 4 GB limit and creates a new file. The Kingston Class 10 Ultimate X always crashes at the 4 GB limit.
  • Thanks Vitaliy - should I shoot for a minimum read/write speed?
  • Transcend Class 10 is cheapest reliable card.
    SanDisk must be real one, as many false one exists due to higher price of this brand.