Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 in 24p: noticeable "strobe effect" with any motion in frame?
  • 259 Replies sorted by
  • @Roberto:

"@svart

when I went frame by frame, I could see strobing as slight changes in color.

I know you were trying to replicate this, but any chance you can post stills of this? Or was the colour change only perceived in motion? "

Sorry, I've been traveling a lot for work lately. I'll try to replicate and post frames once I have some time. I could see this problem when going frame by frame. Some say that it's possibly the noise changing shape/grain but it was pretty clear that I saw yellow-ish tint wave through the normal blue/red noise. I also saw it in both long and short GOP patches. It was far less apparent in I-frame only patches and was more apparent when panning. In either case I only saw it when the majority of the frame was slightly underexposed and had large areas of single colors. When I exposed normally, or overexposed I didn't see it much at all. My test was looking at a black comforter illuminated by a tungsten spot light creating a grey-ish look.

Also, this means I'm not convinced the strobing that some people are seeing is actually strobing. Most of the testing and evidence has shown that the camera has the correct amount of motion blur for 24P. I think it's an artifact of the compression process where some of the I, B or P frames are not encoded the same way or have something strange about others around them. It makes me think that the prediction stuff is not working quite right in the GH2, especially since I-frame only patches seem to look much better than others in this regard.

• After reading all of this, even myself have recorded on 24p 1/50th shutter speed, the motion blur didnt look smooth as you would get with a perfect synced shutter speed with the recording framerate, and it does look abit unattractive.

You can it is most noticable at 29secs in this video:

Therefore, hasnt anyone found a way to at least implement a 1/48 Shutter Speed setting? like 1 step/level/click away from 1/50???

• LOL... This is a topic on every forum on every video camera or DSLR capable of video. There's nothing magical or unmagical about the frames.
    They are 24FPS.

Now having said that, if anything, the GH2 now with the capability of producing all i-frames (thanks to Vitaliy and crew) now produces clean 24P motion.

The motion is better than my Sony EX1 which is long GOP. Of course, the EX1 motion is fine when running SDI out to intraframe..

• @Misterj Thanks for the props on Flow Motion v2. One of my goals was to see if I could improve frame-to-frame motion picture continuity by boosting B-frame image quality to match the quantization quality of the I-frames. In an FM2 1080p video, there are two B-frames between each pair of I-frames. The macroblocks in each B-frame are formed from reference blocks taken from both previous and following I-frames, averaged together. This inter-frame compression process is similar to techniques used to generate "tweened" frames between the key frames in animated videos.

In FM2, the theory is that high-quality B-frames can effectively form a bridge between consecutive I-frames, by blending object details from both I-frames together. (Of course, B-frames are not simply averaged pixels, the details in each frame are individually refined to closely approximate the details captured by the image sensor for that frame.) My hunch is that when viewing moving objects in a video, your eyes make every effort to integrate the consecutive frames into a continuous stream, and that random frame-to-frame discrepancies are perceived as undesirable distractions. Hence, the disturbing judder we see in some videos, that mysteriously vanishes when you step through the video frame-by-frame.

In an intra-frame motion picture, whether film or video, each frame is individually captured as a self-contained still image, with no inherent connectivity to any other frame. Frame-to-frame continuity is produced only by the coincidence of having captured consecutive frames at very short time intervals. At 24p, the frame rate interval is just barely short enough to maintain the illusion of continuity, and it can easily be dispelled by any perceived irregularity. I personally find the mismatch between the 60fps refresh rate of LCD monitors to clash noticeably with a 24p video cadence, whether interlaced or progressively displayed. And that's the main reason why in practice, I prefer 30p to 24p.

• @itimjim can be on right track. But here my skills ends. I'm just a novice considering hacks.

• Possibly because it 'is' Intra. Flow motion and all longer GOP settings use P and B frames which maybe making the blend from frame to frame less obvious. Pure theory mind.

• @MisterJ
    How is it possible that "Sedna Intra ' imitates motion worse than" Flow Motion " ?

• Hi All!

I just saw @davidhjlindberg nicely shot shorty "The Final Dance". I downloaded the video and watched on my edit. It's also good example of strobing shots. I'm not sure what shutter speeds David used in this, and my opinion is that specially in war scenes strobing works great - aka style of "Saving Private Ryan".

Go and see and it

But as @rajamalik commented that there is no strobing effect in latest hacks and many of You are saying that there is no eye-bothering strobing effects in material - and - testers don't see any problem how hacked GH2 captures this "cinematic motion": You must be right after all. Probably I should just forget it and shoot. = )

So this is my last try. =D @bwhitz @Roberto @mo7ies @LPowell @driftwood I did a test shootings with sedna A, crossfire variation 1 and Lpowell's latest Flow Motion v2.02. I did not have OIS on and I used Kit Lens 14-42 and Voigtländers NOKTON 40mm. I shot using same settings that I used shooting those flowers earlier on. And I see there is differences. LPowells hack seems to have more motion blur during handheld camera movement than others. After I exported 422(HQ) from NLE I conformed all three videos from 23.98fps to 25fps and compared again. LPowell's version passed without any strobing.

I like most SEDNA A in picture quality, but Flow Motion is better capturing motion. In a slower camera movements, sedna did not do almost any motion blur. When you make a zip-pan blur is there, but in a slower movements its notn

• The screen size matters, too. I currently sit 1.5 meters away from my Vieira 42" HD plugged into my PC via HDMI (for working) but it's interesting how small juddering movements become noticeable when I watch video from this close.

• A question for everyone insisting that the judder is inherent in all GH2 footage: do you watch it on a monitor with a refresh rate that is a multiple of 23.98?

• @itimjim

I'm 'almost' desensitised to 24p cadence, as I'm just so used to it from the movies.

Me too. I think we all are, if left alone - and there's a danger in a videographer becoming too sensitised to something which viewers don't see. (Usually there's something better to watch than the stuttering background; remember the "gorilla on the basketball field video?")

One medical definition for the "palpitations" which patients sometimes complain about is given as, "an awareness of one's heart beating." Getting over the palpitations is getting used to the heart beating.

Maybe a healthy balance regarding learning to live with 24P stutter is knowing to deal with it only when it becomes an issue to the viewers.

• @mo7ies Thanks, wrong call I'm afraid. It was as if Vimeo might have sensed my slow internet connection and dropped back to 14fps (now that would be a clever trick) I really did notice a flicker when the guy swings the golf club - but then they might well have chosen a sporty, too-high shutter rate just for that shot.

• I am on my laptop and cannot see GH2 stuttering in the video above.

Moreover, I cannot see stuttering in the following video someone posted on Driftwood's thread - however it does display classic GH2 stuttering on my production machine with high-end video card and monitor!

So here we go, it does depend on the playback device...

• @roberto I'm still trying to understand what you (and everyone else) means by stutter, but I think I'm getting there.

I was previous of the understanding that you meant there's a noticeable shift in cadence, like a jump from a poor pull down, there's none of that in there.

If you're on about a little consistent frame cadence on horizontal (and sometimes vertical) pans, well that's intra-frame 24p for you. With the motion in that piece you linked to, if 24p cadence is a problem for your viewer, then you'd be nuts to shoot it that way. I don't see why that piece would need, or even want 24p...it's not cinema. But, I suppose if you're hooked on the detail of the hack, and you're unwilling to go HBR/720p, you're then at the mercy of a 24p intra-frame motion capture. But, having said that, I don't think it's as bad as some people make it out. It really doesn't put me off watching something. As someone said before though, it's like the DLP/LCD discussions that rage on. I see the rainbow effect, but it doesn't put me off so much, if at all.

I realise I've just opened the door to the Red/Alexa boys (of which I have zero experience) to say the above would look fine at 24p on them. All I know is that if the above was shot on film, with that range of motion, it would display a very similar motion capture character (rolling shutter aside).

Personally, I'm 'almost' desensitised to 24p cadence, as I'm just so used to it from the movies.

• @itimjim

No idea. I can calculate actual shutter rate -frame rate should be obvious if it hasn't been modified. If it's stuttering video I'll contact the person who posted it & ask. How does it look you? (apart from being fantastic).

• @roberto before you analyse, do you know the precise shutter speed and frame rate that the video was captured at?

• I just got sent a link to a GH2 vimeo which stutters badly using my PC. If this stutters for others, too, then maybe I can download the original and see what's going on. (Tho' it could be just my low-powered notebook's graphics causing stutter..) Funny, the writer didn't notice, saying "This video .. not mine sadly shows without doubt the GH2 still has the best PQ of any cam/ DSLR under $4000"

• difficulties separating the edges of moving objects

That's a big problem. Pans with no subject are rare opportunities to use full motion-blur of everything you see. But much more common are tracking shots: blurring the nearby bushes as they scoot by is easy enough. But the buildings further behind the bushes will be revealed by parallax, moving slower; the mountains will hardly move at all, while the sun will stay rock still. I would get annoyed with any software which wanted to motion-blur my mountains & sun.

• @mo7ies I suppose you are referring to RSMB by RE:VisionFX. It works quite nice in many cases, but it's not a cure-all solution for insufficient motion blur, has difficulties separating the edges of moving objects for example.

• after quantum v9 was released until date none of the patches has such strobe effect at all....for example quantum 9 x orion sedna canis cluster all these are somewhere beyond this kind of effects.... may be its lens...

• Luckily, you can apply motion-blur in post here, because the whole scene is moving, so everything gets a one-click blur.

Actually, with After Effects plugins (and I'm sure in other compositing software, too), one can force motion blur proportional to the actual amount of pixel movement in-frame. So post-production motion blur on the person you are tracking should look same as in-camera, provided you used correct AE plugin/settings. So it's better than you thought :)

But, as always, it'd be preferable to nail the motion blur in-camera.

With GH2, I now think it makes sense to learn how motion is represented with different lenses/focal distances/scene setups, and in fact employ different shutter speeds on each shot.

• Film at 24fps, if you talk to a DP or operator, has well know pan/dolly speeds that they won't exceed for those exact reasons.

I shoot film, 35mm and 16. The faster I pan, the better it blurs at 180 degree shutter. A zip-pan looks smooth on film. It also looks fine on a GH2:

We all do the still/pan/stop routine, intuitively:

Press shutter, and ONE, two, three, then pan [Object frame right moves to frame centre left slowly] and ONE, two, three four five, slow then stop] and still ONE two, three - and CUT.

In narrative film, a pan without camera following a central figure is a rare animal.

The limitations to speed are more often aesthetic. When panning you need to know why. In whose time is this shot I'm about to take? For example:

Scene 4_________ Interior________Day_________Gary's Room_________ Scene 4

Gary returns home to find his home ransacked. He looks around, afraid the burglar could be waiting behind any door....

This is one of those rare circumstances where a DOP might choose a slow pan.

Using film, you can get a smooth shot of what Gary sees as he looks around the room. The audience have no central figure moving around to distract them. Their eyes will follow every bit of this POV shot, scrutinizing everything they see.

A GH2 may give you problems here.

Note: Luckily, you can apply motion-blur in post here, because the whole scene is moving, so everything gets a one-click blur. If you had someone walking around, [ie static within the frame], you'd have your work cut out for you trying not to blur them too, along with the moving furniture.

• @nomad

BTW, make sure your OIS is off when panning – it might introduce judder.

Yes, good call. I think a few people have mentioned that this was causing problems. This might be the lens glitch others have mentioned.

• BTW, make sure your OIS is off when panning – it might introduce judder.

• @MisterJ

That's from a dolly track shot, with RED. No strobing, no problem. Theres no irony here.

I was just saying it was ironic because you were saying that the studdering and panning of the motion was restricting your shot choices... yet this is exactly what you would run into when shooting the holly-grail of "cinematic" formats... film.

Film at 24fps, if you talk to a DP or operator, has well know pan/dolly speeds that they won't exceed for those exact reasons. 24fps just has allot of judder.

Don't know why your Red footage doesn't have the same judder though? I've been on Red shoots where the instructions have clearly been... "push it a bit slower, we're shooting 24 frames". The motion of Red looks identical to the Intra-GH2 patches. Maybe you are running into a glitch or something...?

So this shot was f 6.3, shutter 25, ISO 200. It's 24H and kit lens 14-42

Might be the lens actually. Some people have reported that the Panny lenses cause excessive sharpening and detail judder... do you have other manual non-panasonic lenses to throw on there?

@mo7ies

"I asked one of the guys from Universal to come take a look at it. He agreed it looked terrible."

Dunno. Wasn't there. It was either a vindictive statement... or they're running into the stock lens glitching that I've mentioned and heard of.

I'm just thinking that it must be a glitch or something you guys are running into. After all the great projects and footage... and the outstanding performance in the Zacuto shootout from the Quantum patches... other people would have said something. Colt Seman and those guys have been using the GH2 for tons of automotive and fast action stuff. We would know by now, as a community, if there were any real problems with motion.