Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Affordable and Effective Light Meter
  • The Gossen Digisix is my replacement for my now completely dead vintage Gossen Luna Pro. It's small, lightweight (unlike the old GLP which was the size of Spock's old tri-corder from the TV series and was like a lead weight hanging around my neck). It's very accurate, and also measures contrast. For $169 it's the cheapest light meter you'll find out there, and works great for DSLR video work.

Can't afford those awesome $800 Sekonics? Get one of these instead.

meter.JPG
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
  • 87 Replies sorted by
  • no. it just gives me a little more flexibility with the exposure and the highlights. I don't have to be so paranoid about losing highlight detail.

• @shian Was wondering if shooting RAW on BM(P)CC changes the way you light, as ETTR appears to be the way to go?

• Hey @shian cheers for responding, I know you're busy mate. I'm using the FD version, so aperture control is on the FD lens iris. What you're saying applies though, and is in line with my thinking. Essentially, meter and knock it down a stop.

I do have the Nikon version too, but it's the early one which is hit and miss on each click. Allegedly the new version (not advertised as new by the way) has more accurate gearing in that each click is a stop. I've not used my Nikon mount on set yet as I don't trust it until I get a monitor with false colour or waveform.

• If I recall correctly the speedbooster has it's own exposure ring and that's where the exposure is controlled? And It's not marked in f-stops, correct? If so, you'll just have to count clicks. And compensate by 1 stop. So if your lens is a f2 the booster makes it a f1.4, so then I guess you just count backwards. Meaning, if the meter says f2 then set the booster to 2. If the reading is 2.8, set it to 3, and so on...but I don't have a speed booster, so @vicharris would be the one to ask.

• @shian I'm a little embarrassed to ask this, but if I'm using a 1 stop Speedbooster do I offset that on the meter? I'm leaning towards yes as the light hitting the sensor is being condensed.

• duh. :)

• So just to make sure: calibration is not necessary when using the BMCC camera's (supposing we use RAW recording), but you can effectively use the light meter to create contrast ratio's, making sure it fits the DR etc?

• Like Shian said, it's fine with BMCC cameras. I've been using that cheap meter he suggested a year ago and it's been just fine. Same damn battery I might add.

• yes, it's possible but probably not that necessary. I used mine on a shoot with the BMPCC and it was fine. No calibration needed.

• @shian or anyone... I want to buy one of these to improve my footage. I shoot with a BMPCC which only has crude zebras. No scopes, meters or anything. How would one calibrate? Is it possible? You said earlier that light meters must be calibrated to the camera via grey card, scope and internal metering. Thoughts?

• This has already been mentioned, but it looks like the Kickstarter is well-funded, and there are a few days left to join if you want to get in early.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lumulabs/lumu-bringing-light-meter-to-the-21st-century

It's a light meter for a smart phone.

• Thanks shian.

• point it at the key light

• With the dome sitting atop the Digisix, what is the proper way of taking a reading? Is it with the dome pointed at the camera, display facing up (parallel to floor); or dome facing up (unit upright), with the reading display facing the camera?

• Looks like it's $149. Ouch. I'll stay with my Gossen.

• it's a great incident meter, and if it is ultimately priced around $50 I'd get it. But without any reflective meter function it's not a full fledged meter. And probably not very durable.

• Hey guys, what do you think about the LUMU - lightmeter for smartphones in a cloud - just out today on kickstarter..

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lumulabs/lumu-bringing-light-meter-to-the-21st-century

• Shian,

Looking forward to the Cinemeter tutorial ;)

• Shian - I would also love to see a tutorial on the CineMeter iPhone app. Given the limitations of the iPhone, can you suggest settings for where the false color ranges, and how to test the results with a waveform monitor?

• @Roy_Batty it's always worked flawlessly for me, so I've never felt the need to upgrade to a digital meter. They're inexpensive on eBay so I'd recommend it if u want to go the ultra cheap route . (Hope that wasn't too OT)

• @shian Really looking forward to that CineMeter App Tutorial. Still trying to wrap my head around how to implementit with my gh2 and shooting a scene correctly.

• from what i can tell, nothing except the SS ring is black instead of white.

• @shian

What is the difference between the Gossen Digisix and Digisix 2? It's hard to find what the upgrade between the two is.

• @Lincoln11 I PM'ed you, per VK's new "handling slightly off topic conversations in PM."

• @OzNimbus brother of the Sekonic Studio Deluxe II! Had mine since I was using an Arri S in film school

Alt text

@Shian, oh brother of the line-y hand-

Thanks for the heads up on the cinemeter, downloaded it just now, amazing. I have been wanting to sign up for Color GHear for a while now, you have given a heap 'o great information here. But I'm one of the new owners of the BT Red One MX's and spend most of my time trying to wrap my head around Red workflow. I'm learning RCXpro now and dealing with LUTs, all new territory. Will I be able to find tutorials that I can apply to using Speedgrade, as well as your lighting tips?