Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Canon EOS C500 topic
  • 28 Replies sorted by
  • @thepalalias Comparing speaker driver companies and Digital Camera technologies is not a 1:1 comparison. Speaker drivers are an extremely mature technology. Digital cinema is new, and the price of semiconductors and CMOS/CCD/whatever sensor tech they use is always going down. However, what I genuinely despise is using the same tech in multiple devices and handicapping one product over the next via firmware, or some other "manufactured" difference (Sony FS100, F3, Any of the RED Cameras). It's simply a way for those producing goods to justify the stratification of the market place.

I do agree with your list of appropriate questions. The third one in particular. Someone will introduce a product that will make all other Camera companies drop their jaws in horror. It'll deliver the quality of cameras 5-10 times its price and a similar feature set. The technical part of the revolution is already here, it's just a matter of having a company have the gusto to price it accordingly. I'd love to see the component price breakdown of an Alexa vs Mark III vs GH2 vs Any other camera. I think a lot of people would be surprised how cheap the components are. The question then is, how much is R&D worth in the equation.

I'm not mad I can't afford certain "tools" because at the end of the day it's the talent of the film maker that really matters. But, that doesn't change the fact corporate business practices in the cinema world don't match the creativity of the people that support their existence.

• @Philldaagony I disagree. The market price is rarely a direct reflection of component cost. Take perfume for example - one of the highest mark-up items out there.

Conversely, I know from personal experience that one of the highest priced speaker driver companies in the world also has one of the lowest percentage mark-ups.

Unless we want to build our own cameras, there are different questions that seem appropriate.

1) Does the product the company offers do what I want?

2) Does the product the company offers improve upon what I already have?

3) Is the company's pricing policy in line with other products offering the same capabilities?

While 1 and 2 are highly personal, 3 is one that can be researched fairly easily. There are only a handful of 4K cameras with slow-mo that have been announced, let alone released. One of the competitors has not even finalized a 4K recording method. Some of the offerings mentioned also do not offer a "RAW" recording format.

The 4K DSLR is projected to be priced higher than EOS-1D X (which is not yet widely available) but less than a typical Scarlet package.

Why are people infuriated?

• Looks like Canon is set on alienating the DSLR revolution they accidentally created. I understand the need to make money and justify the difference between "pro" and "consumer" gear, but when the difference has nothing to do with component cost and is purely marketing and holding on to antiquated business practices I start to get a little infuriated.