Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
50mm SLR Magic Cine T 0.95
  • 53 Replies sorted by
  • Lens good, customer bad :)

• @dtr That is what they told me as well. Haven't noticed any problems with bokeh yet. Hope it stays like that. How are you liking the 12mm so far?

• @tobsen: I can't compare as this is the first lens I got. SLRMagic guaranteed me that it was common for lenses to have small dust and spots and that even the big brands wouldn't replace a new lens with the little dirt I have. They did offer to replace it but I didn't because of the shipping. I couldn't spot flaws in the image.

Btw, I read somewhere that these spots can show in bokhee (how's that spelled? ;). Mine doesn't.

@vicharris: +1 on the buy-from-reseller advice. Thing is that when I got mine no one else had them in store.

• Quite different from TrusMT – they have excellent customer service.

• @vicharris I like underdogs - that is my weakness. I thought if something goes wrong they would do anything to make customers happy in order to get good publicity. I was so wrong so far.

• @Tobsen Yep, I will never deal with them again. Worst customer service ever. I suggest as others have, if you want any products from them, NEVER buy directly from them. Always go to a local store, even if it costs more and try and buy there. They are really taking advantage of people due to their very poor QC in the salt mines where they assemble these damn things.

• @dtr. I have never had a lens that had dust, particles or spots on inner glasses right of of the factory. Am I essagerating or is that common?

• Got a spot and dust on my 12mm T1.6 as well... Are they assembling these things in plain air or what?

• @vicharris earlier you said you were worried about the QC issues and the fact that you have to pay shipment to where they build them in cae of a return.

I am in this exact situation right now. The lens is not clean inside. I can see dust, small other particles (I think fabric fuzz) and spots on the inner glass. Have been exchanging emails with SLR Magic for almost two weeks now arguing about shipment costs and how to fix it. Basically, I was offered a first-time free cleaning of the lens but I have to pay the shipment (which is about 200 Euro with UPS or DHL). Are they serious????

• Ive gone and bought a tub of Zeiss to try now like a tit doh I can say that the SLR 12 mm, as much as it has been maligned, is a tough nut - dropped it out of a bag today and the floor lost - Chuck Norris of small lenses.

• @soundgh2 you wanna lay of the cristal and blow lad...you'll have one in no time :-)

• @itimjim ah not so nutty - thought was £3k upwards - thats 2 nights out on the lash lol looks nice though

• @vicharris

you mean the reference shot with the Voigtländer 25mm? It was set up exactly the same way as the SLR Magic before. The focus was set to infinity to compare how the house would look like under these conditions (especially looking at CA). Yes, it is soft, as espected with that lens.

• @Tobsen That last pic looks pretty soft. Am I seeing that right?

• @soundgh2 The non RF coupled version is £1.9k....still a lot of money though, but not silly, silly, silly.

• Here is a comparable shot with the Nokton 25mm, same settings, wide open, ND (ND was more dense) shutter 1/320. Light conditions changed slightly due to clouds clearing up and photo being shot about 40 mins later.

P1110388.JPG
    4976 x 2800 - 8M
  • @vicharris I was worried about that as well. Ordered it anyway. I am considering to get it replaced though due to dust inside the lens. It does not affect image quality as far as I could see, but it annoys me. Sending it back will pretty much annoy me to the same extend.

• @ 2, shutter 1/640

P1110387.JPG
    4976 x 2800 - 8M
  • Here @ 1.4, shutter 1/1000

P1110386.JPG
    4976 x 2800 - 7M
  • @proaudio4 now check out this picture (not screenshot from 24h)I took this morning. JPEG L, standard -2-0-2-2, wide open, ND, shutter 1/1300, iso 160. This was shot on my balcony around 7.30am. Extreme conditions, but they show where the limits are CA wise. Once you step it down to 1.4 it is already much better.

P1110385.JPG
    4976 x 2800 - 7M
  • With their QC issues, I'd be pretty damn scared to spend that much on a lens. Especially for the fact that when you receive a bad one, you have to pay for return shipping to China or Korea, wherever the heck they make em!!

• son of a --- Looks like I may need to buy yet another lens! The 3D Kraft review certainly looked good.

@Tobsen Amazing..

• We bought it and got it last week. Screenshot from VLC. 24h sedna AQ1 C, standard -2-0-2-2, wide open, shutter 1/50, iso 160.

vlcsnap-2012-06-19-23h10m06s140.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • Oh, and I forgot to mention, on the wide open shots over at 3D Kraft, the Noctilux was shot at 1/80s and the Hyperprime was shot at 1/100s. Here is the link as well if you can't find it off of the previous link: http://3dkraft.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=117:fullsize-comparison-slr-magic-hyperprime-cine-50mm-t095-leica-noctilux-50-095-asph-et-al&catid=40:camerasandlenses&Itemid=2