Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Sony NEX FS700 and FS700r, 4K cameras topic
  • 217 Replies sorted by
  • 240fps limit is 8 seconds, 120fps hence can run for 16 seconds

• what is sony definition of RAW ... same as f65? real raw?

• @vladnik

I think something like 4:2:2 4K output

• that is more real...

• Sony NEX FS700 on Location

We also discovered that you can record the super slow-mo out onto an external recorder. We used the Atomos Samurai so you can aquire 200fps at 1080P in ProRes 422.

The camera is also an 8MP still camera.

Internal recording is using AVC HD at 24/28mb/s - it's very clean and edits well as we've discovered on the FS100.

http://www.denlennie.com/2012/04/sony-nex-fs700-on-location.html

• I'm new here so I apologize if this has already been discussed a lot, but the GH2 has HDMI type C which is I believe is HDMI 1.3 , which according to the specs has a max resolution of 2560x1600 at 75Hz. And then HDMI 1.4 has a max resolution of 4K. Is it possible then that the GH2 could output 2K out of the HDMI and maybe even 4K in future releases? Because the NEX FS700 seems to only support 4K through the HD-SDI port. Can't Panasonic do something similar? Hack maybe?

• NO APRILS FOOL

Sony's New FS-700 Revealed - 4K-ready Super 35mm Camcorder for Less Than $10k?

http://nofilmschool.com/2012/04/sonys-fs-700-revealed-4k-ready-super/

http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/product/nxcamcorders/nex-fs700e/features

Good days

I would wait for Panasonic and canon response to this, even red will be selling less if this camera turns out to do things like it should.

• June is not too far. Is there any information about pricing? Canon seems to be more and more sailing against the wind.

• sub 10,000 remember canon XL2 and XLHD, well that's the price point, only now you have 4K and 1080p 200fps.

At least that's what everybody is talking about, is a nex camera so i don't think it will record internally any more than 50mb/s 4-2-0 so is limited, so price may be correct.

• They seem to have cured about everything that was wrong with the FS100.

• YES!!!!!!! I believe it now. :) Ok Canon...let's see what you have.

• @pvjames Ok Canon...let's see what you have.

you saw that already: 5DM3 (vs Nikon D800) no HDMI out, 22 vs 36 MP. C300 1080p 18,000$ vs.....

• Yep, I'd hate to have a website named EOSHD...

• any chance this can adapt an S-log ?how is the DR on this?

• @peaceonearth: They're supposed to have an announcement of their 'next Cinema thing' on the 15th during NAB week. I just can't see them coming near this incredible FS700 for features and price-point. Wondering if Sony will also announce a new full-frame dSLR.

• This sounds great, and will be a great tool. Out of my price range unfortunately, but in a year or two who knows. It's really good seeing this kind of technology making it's way to consumers.

• @bubba @peaceonearth Did you guys forget about the NAB announcement they are planning a couple weeks? The one with the mysterious flyers that the press are getting and speculating will offer 4K?

I am not saying it will be similar product, but I am also not saying it will not be. Waiting a couple weeks makes sense.

Not to mention that (at least the early releases) talked about 4k being an "upgrade" without any mention of price. That upgrade seems kind of important in this discussion, so that may be worth waiting to find out about as well.

In any case, it certainly looks like it could be an exciting product so far, but I am reserving judgement. It would be interesting to go back to Sony camcorders after not using them since the Digital8 days.

Edit: I did not ignore PVJames, I just started typing before his post went up. :)

• Sounds like a great new camera. Would love to rent one.

• @pvjames "I just can't see them coming near this incredible FS700 for features and price-point."

Yep, all my saved funds are going to the FS700 now. The only thing that could get me to spend it on canon would be this:

EOS-C 4k DSLR

-4k mjpeg 4:4:4 recording up to 30fps

-2k mjpeg, up to 120fps

-at least 4:2:2 sampled 10-bit uncompressed output

-$5000 price tag

• @thepalalias @pvjames

what could that be regarding Canons other products? Remember the big ballyhoo in the run-up to the Paramount presentation? I am still disapointed about the result. Not that the C300 is a bad camera but way far too expensive. At what price point could they launch a "next thing" if they want to keep the C300 in the market?

And it's not only their video product line, same in still photo products too. We are also in stills photo business with 1DsM3, 5DM2 and 8 L lenses from 17mmTSE to 100-400. Believe me we are a little scared whether this investment is future-proof. No plans for a 5Dm3, least of all for a 1D X

• Not to be a downer here but people should stop saying that it is a 4k camera for sub 10k. In fact this camera could cost the same than a Scarlet working package. The Gemini 444 cost $ 6000 so what will a 4k raw recorder cost!!! I don't like too much the marketing strategy behind it. Say that it will be a 4k camera but not tell you how much the recorder will cost. So I think referring it as a 4k camera for 8k because it is misleading. If the price is $ 8/10 k what you are getting above an fS100 for now is the ND filter and better slow motion. I am not saying it is bad for what it is but it not a 4k camera below $ 10 000 until we know the price of the recorder.

• @danyell I agree about the information, though I cannot fault a company for trying to market a future upgrade path at all. Consumers just have to be smarter.

@peaceonearth You are not excited about the 1D X? Have you seen how much they improved the lowlight/high ISO performance? It blows the 1DMkIII away. I am very excited about the stills side, though very much waiting and seeing on the video one. The D4 and 1D X deliver so many things that I wanted as far back as 2010 and the 1D X would not require switching glass (for either one of us) so I think there is a lot to be said for them, especially on the stills side. What are you missing from them on the stills side?

• @bwhitz: no prob. Its fun to talk about. I ignored and didn't believe the rumors. So today is like day one for me. :) Completely feel the same way with the Canon specs. You should also plan upgrading your computer for the increased file sizes.

@peaceonearth: They already had a short window despite being such an incredibly sexy camera. It is the most natural feeling camera on the one hand but i have equal amount of distaste for the price/bang4buck factor. A cam of extremes. Maybe they'll release a C400 on the 15th. I think this will be a 15-20K cam with 4K.

@danyyyel: i think i read somewhere about 3rd party devices being compatible but don't quote me on that. Maybe from one of the testers. This is the most important issue right now.

• @thepalalias

no I am not exited about 1D X. We are working for advertising in studio and on location and mostly we never shoot less than 200 ISO, rarely 400 ISO. If the light is low we use lights. If it's too dark we charge another shooting day ;-) High ISO is no issue for us. It's probably appropriate to GH2 hack and low light. Indie film makers and documentary shooters maybe very interested but advertising or narrative shooters are probably more interessted in detail quality sharpness grading etc.. 1D X means to explain your customers why you shoot now with less pixels than before and half pixel size than competitors with Nikon. If I had the 36MP brand new Nikon I would use it immediately for marketing action. Maybe it's like shooting on film in 8x10" or 4x5". There was no reason why you really needed 8x10" but there where many good reasons to shoot with 8x10". Sorry Vitaly for wandering from the topic.

• @pvjames I think this will be a 15-20K cam with 4K.

What will they do with C300? Lower the price? I am curious about that but I have no big hope that it will be a product that will prevent me from buying a Sony. Very sorry because I'd like to use all my EF lenses.

Allready now I was short before buying a FS100 but now we will wait off course until we had a first look at FS700. FS100 with Ninja is superb and internal recording is hard to believe that it's only 4-2-0