Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
First video looks severely interlaced (Cake 2.0)
  • Ok, so I just installed the Cake 2.0 patch on my GH2 (from 1.1 firmware) and took a quick test video of some cars driving past. The result...is a mess. It looks like some kind of interlacing disaster. It was taken in manual movie mode, FSH, program exposure. I've attached a screenshot showing the problem, taken from VLC playback. StreamParser reports that this is Mode = 1080/24pW (60i Wrapper). I don't know why it's 24p or why it is in a 60i wrapper, and I don't know if the interlacing error is caused by the container format not being recognized or what. Can someone explain to me where I've gone wrong? Also, how do I get 60p output?

vlcsnap-2012-03-25-18h19m16s147.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • 7 Replies sorted by
  • Everything is ok, just turn on the de-interlacing playback filter on VLC (look for it in the "video" menu) or de-interlace the footage with one of the many many tools that do it.

• P.S. By the way read the GH2 manual more carefully :-)

• Hm, looks like the interlacing nightmare is gone by just running it through VideoStudio with a 30p frame-based output. I'm still confused about why StreamParser is reporting 24p in a 60i container though. FSH is supposed to be 60i, but where's the 24 coming from?

• Streamparser is wrong about that clip. FSH mode is 1080i. To get 60p playback of 30i footage in VLC, enable video de-interlacing and set the de-interlace mode to bob or linear.

• So I've been playing with transcodes to h.264/MPEG-4 30p and it seems like there's two different approaches to de-interlacing these videos. One blurs the two fields together, resulting in a distinct double image look that looks decent in motion but fairly bad in single frames (Sony Vegas, VLC show this). The other combines them into a single crisp frame (Handbrake does this) but seems to be jittery in motion, like the cars are jumping slightly back and forth as they pass by. Am I understanding this correctly? Is this always going to happen with 1080/60i video?

Accurate motion capture is of great interest to me, so I'm wondering if maybe I should stick to 720/60p for those situations.

• One of the best software de-interlacers out there is RS Fields Kit by revisionfx.

• If you want to keep the smooth motion convert the 60i to 60p in Sony Vegas and store on a hard drive. I do this for playback on my Western Digital Media Player via HDMI to a Plasma TV. Smooth motion, no jaggies.