Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GINI cage for GH1, GH2
  • 95 Replies sorted by
  • Just ordered one. I'll post my thoughts next month when it arrives.

• Ditto. Should have it by end of month.

• @feha - yup got the cage and used it on a wedding. As you described on the video, its a bit tight for the MIC adapter. I had to remove the camera from the cage to remove/add the L shaped mic adapter. Overall, It does what I want it to do. Was able to attach LED panel and Mic to it. Also, the added weight helps w/ flying the Glidecam HD2000.

• @jshzr , great. I wish there was a place to mount my Varavon loupe for GH2, but in any case is a good investment.

• How would you attach the varavon loupe to the cage? Just asking as im currently finalising cad drawings being done for me of a new cage for the GH2, i should have the prototype machined by next week hopefully, it not that simple to machine a cage from a solid block of aluminium.

• @jakef , the Varavon GH2 loupe, does not slide in completely, as there is not much space between folded out lcd and cage. If there would be a place to slide in completely than the gap between mounting bracket of luope and cage would be less, also the loupe screws could be mounted into new drilled holes ... Check images below.

the_cage.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 197K
    loupe_does_not_fit.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 192K
    two_screws_can_be mounted_on_the_cage.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 148K
    the_gap.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 131K
    two_screws_can_be mounted_on_the_cage.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 148K
  • I see does it hit at the top and bottom of the cage? 1. where should the top end: distance from base of camera to top csage opening 2bottom clearance frombase of camera to base of opening of cage?

Where do you want to mount the the 2 screws, do you mean a new bracket (or modify) and screw holes to clamp the slider part to the cage.

I'm sure you've noticed that the original bottom blate of the loupe cant fit with the camera also you'll loose the camera cage clamp.

Should we start a new thread? i think we are mixing topics.

Regards

Jake

• @jakef , i just wanted to show that luope won't fit to this cage ... the uni loupe might work ... If you think to build new cage for GH2 you can start a new topic ... there have been many topics about building a new GH2 cage but not many resulted to final product.

• @feha Thanks, just started a new topic, i will see what i can do. Anyone near Richmond UK that have a Varavon loupe that i can measure? (How busy are you Mr. Philip Bloom.. ha ha)

You are right I don't think anything or venture is guaranteed and without any risks but i'm trying hard to take most of the risks. I am currently financing the development and initial production of the first 25 or so.

Just in case anyone is wondering about quality; the factory i'm using also makes parts for Formula 1 racing and the Military Aerospace.

• I just received my gini cage and I have to say that for the price, I am impressed. I still wish that it had a contact point on the shoe, but it seems really rock solid once the cam is in there.

• Got my Gini Cage Rig...It really is solid. Pictured with the modified Rainbow H6x8-II C-mount lens and the Fifty Dollar Follow Focus.

DSC03005.JPG
    4608 x 2592 - 2M
    DSC03004.JPG
    4608 x 2592 - 2M
  • @fosterchen , looks great, very compact for the GH2 size :-) I'm waiting for the same one, should be here in few days.

• Here is a new website of Gini and their GH2 cages: http://camera777.com/

I think they have good prices

• Does the new GINI cage (GH2 version) have the special sized holes, or regular 1/4"?

• @Gabel , the top plate have about 20 of 1/4" holes, the rest of holes is M5. New cage have more space for mic jack. I got my new cage (rig combination) and need a bit of time to make a video review ...

• Sorry if I missed it, but - can one or more people confirm whether or not this website is legitimate in where to purchase the Gini cages: http://camera777.com/ ?

I contacted the seller through the website 24-48 hours ago and have not received a response.

I also found it weird that the same GH2 cage is listed three+ times on the website priced a little...funny.

Your help is appreciated.

• @IvanUskokovic , I did not order from that website yet. I bought on eBay but I got that link on paper from the same guy I got the cage.

• Yeah, I got mine off ebay, too.

• @rockroadpix & @feha - Do you find there to be a fair amount of wiggle or "twist" because the camera is not secured at the top of the cage from the hot-shoe?

• Well, I hope that Camera777 website is legit... because I just ordered a cage. The Service Terms that you have to check off are blank (just say 'insert rule content here'), but it accepts Paypal for payment at least. Fingers crossed.

• @kingmixer - Keep us updated on whether or not you ever get your cage.

• @IvanUskokovic no twist, if you check my video review there is holder (in two pieces) at the bottom that you can adjust and this prevents GH2 from twisting ...

• I think it's also important to secure GH2 from top. Because the plastic body is so flexible and it may have effect when using e.g. follow focus.

• For me, the camera sits in the cage rock solid.

The pricing on the website is very confusing. Do they have 3 GH 2 cages or does it have to do with handles?

• Yea I was confused on that as well. Other than the handles, the difference I see is I think that one has a built-in screw to set the camera, and the other has the screw piece that comes out and pops into the cage?