Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • It went over 60 Mbit in cinema 24p. On a 15/Mbit class 4 card! Wow.

• @AKED Yes, I didn't say anything about it, but I suspected Sanity 4.1 would be successful with slower cards. I did some preliminary testing on a Class 6 card with good results. I'm astonished to hear it worked on a Class 4 card!

• I would not advise to do this when there are important takes to do, but at least with my SanDisc Class 4 it works in all modes, 720p (SH), 1080i (FSH) 24p (cinema) and 25p (HBR). Good.

• @AKED thanks for sharing that, I can see some cases when I'm out of class10 cards (even though I guess it might be risky to use a class4 in general - differences from SH to 24p/HBR too I suppose)

• I accidently recorded some SH material with the sanity 4.1 patch on a class 4 card with an average bitrate of 30 Mbit/sec with no problems. Usually I use class 10 but I was amazed, that recording and playback worked well with the SanDisc Ultra, 15MB/s Class 4. Great and very good picture.

I also have a GH1 that I sometimes use to mixs scenes with the GH2. What hack would make sense on the GH1, to mix with the Sanity 4.1 of the GH2? I film martial arts instructional DVDs in a controlled enviroment with good light and use 720p only.

• Thanks Ralph!

So many good patches. For the truly 100% patches, it's hard to decide between Sanity, Flo Motion and No Adverse Affects. Toss in the 98%ers like Cluster and it just boggles my mind. I love Sedna, but it's like a beautiful woman..... Hateful and temperamental.

• @towi . I know you are testing also bkmcwd's patch. How you would compare sanity vs bkmcwd's patch in 24p or HBR 25p? I'm not talking about stability, only image quality

• Thanks for you work here @Ralph_B. I am looking for a stable hack for 720P and I will try this (SANITY 4.1) today and report back.

• SANITY 4.1

Here is an update for SANITY with vastly improved stability for the PAL version. This sucker is STABLE. In fact, so stable that I was able to raise the data rate in FSH/SH mode to 36M. So, there's better picture quality, too.

I've also updated the NTSC version, although there was nothing wrong with version 4.0. I simply applied some of the things I learned from the PAL version, to make it even more stable. Call it preventative maintenance.

Again, what SANITY is about is top picture quality is ALL shooting modes with reasonable data rates and 100% reliability.

SANITY 4.1 NTSC.zip
    725B
    SANITY 4.1 PAL.zip
    721B
  • @sam, you can go down to 1/25 in HBR no problems, sometimes you need to in lowlight, just be aware of the extra motion blur. The only rule that really matters is the frame rate and shutter speed setting you like the look of, 180 rule was for film, some people like the look of 1/40 with the extra motion blur, we have that choice with digital.

In 720p 1/50 will give you nice blur in fast motion, 1/100-1/120 will give you strobie motion in normal speed but smooth motion in 50% slowed down footage.

• I also use 1/50th in 720/50p works fine. I have tested 1/100th to follow th 180° rule, it works fine too, but I prefer 1/50th.

I would not recuce the shutter to a time, that does not fit to the frame rate. PAL: 50 frames = 1/50th or 1/100th NTSC: 60 frames = 1/60th or 1/120th (1/125 if 1/120 is not available)

• What happens if you reduce the shutter to 1/40 in hbr? I agree about the 720/50p, but then alot of the time you need 1/100 sec?

• If you take 720, (SH) you have also a absolute smooth movement and 50 progressive (full) frames per second instead of 25 frames separated it 50 half (interlaced) frames in 1080i.

• Will do dome more testing! but right now 1080i is nice! thank you Ralph.

• Adventsam, that's all that matters, if you're happy then that's the one for you. Billions of TV viewers will agree with you :-)

• Well, I have to say, the sanity 1080i looks mighty fine at 32mb and can be panned around very smoothly, maybe its my technique but the the hbr seems to have a judder, that's all. Many thanks for the "sanity" check on shutter speeds!

• You are recording more temporal resolution on the cost of loosing spatial (vertical) resolution with 1080i50 vs. 1080p25. Choose your poison ;-)

• 1080i will always look "smoother" (your word) than 25p with motion in both videos. Only use 1/100 for HBR if you intend to use it for slowmo. Otherwise 1/50 is the correct shutter for most applications.

• If I use the hbr setting, pal, and a shutter of 1/50 the video seems less than smooth? however, if I use 1080i and 1/50 its like butter? very very smooth. Should I be using 1/100 for hbr, only I thought it was 25p?

• I'm making good progress with fixing the reliability of the PAL Sanity. Should have an update soon.

• Anyone try this on a GF2?

I have a GH2.. hacked with 42mbps and love it.. may use this patch.. because its got to be reliable..

Got my wife a GF2 and she decided to not keep it and use her old Nikon d5000 as her still camera (not into video) Debating on hacking it as a B cam.. thoughts anyone?

• @MRfanny With B-frames on, the codec interprets the scene differenly. Sometimes the bitrate is less, sometimes it's more. Overall though, B-frames helps the codec operate more efficiently. I did a lot of testing and found no loss of image quality with B-frames on.

• Thanks again ralph for the update. i have noticed 720p bitrates are alot lower than your older version. is this due to you getting b frames to work on the new patch? i was getting consistend 40Mb day and low light footage on the older version, everything seems to hover around the high 20's on this one in the day. 720 IQ is the same still?

• @olegkalyan and @towi

I've managed to reproduce the problem and am working on a solution. Thanks for the reports.

• Thanks Ralph :) that's good to know.