Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • OK,

Reuploaded my test but this time I graded in AE with ColorGhears (CineGamma, Tone w/Saturation)

I also tried some different settings in Premiere for the render so let me know if it's better or worse.

If anyone can give me some insight into the best H.264 render settings out of Premiere on a Windows box, I'd really appreciate it.

Tony

• @ashun That's quite a shot. Thanks for making the original MTS available. This is the only way to fully appreciate the picture quality.

• I've been using Sanity 5 for the last few days and have been extremely impressed with the quality per file size.

Here's something I put together of a butterfly that seemed in bad shape and couldn't fly, set to some dramatic choral music:

Shot in VMM 80%, Vibrant (-2,-2,-1,-2), with the 14-42mm and a Nikon 85mm 2.0 AI.

It's hard to really see the quality from the youtube compression, so I've uploaded an original mts clip here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23922406/Butterfly%20027.MTS

Butterfly 027_Frames.PNG
    746 x 412 - 45K
  • @mo7ies,

I uploaded the same mp4 that vimeo is showing. Looks fine on my 60 Samsung DLP 1080p TV. Don't know why the downloaded footage looks different.

• Downloaded "original" video file from Vimeo - 36MB version - and its' 720p and has huge macroblocking artifacts (beige wall, white paper...)

This can't possibly be coming from GH2 + Sanity5 ?

• Tony, very nice vid, and not boring at all. Hey, good physique - is it CGI or real? :)) J/K Question, what's the deal with overexposure around 1min mark?

• Tony, can you try 14-42 outdoors at widest (14mm) at midday, and let me know whether you are getting any weird romb-like spots in the video? I went through TWO lens copies with the same defect. Are they all like that?

• Finally got a chance to test out Sanity 5 as well as the 14-42 kits lens I got on sale for $99.

I'm simply amazed at how small the files are with this patch even on 24H.

Sorry for the boring footage, but all I had was me....

Thanks again Ralph_B, I'm looking forward to spending more time with it under different circumstances.

• @mo7ies Thanks!

@Ralph_B Great (or in my case, lucky ;) minds think alike.

I did the same thing in wider moon shoots in the past where I wanted to see the clouds. Except usually I decimated half of the frames in post to preserve the 180 degree rule (so it played back 6 times faster instead) or limited myself to 1/15. It's part of the reason that "bus goes by" worked well in the intra demo last year. For extreme telephoto there is too much motion blur but it works well with wide angle shots (stars, clouds, etc.) If anyone else hasn't tried it yet, they really should.

I've also found it is especially useful when I have low-motion scenes with human subjects because of the way the low ISO and additional exposure helps keep the skin smoother. I've had some great actors in that respect, some of them even working with me shooting full-on timelapse intervals.

But on this shoot, I had the opposite problem - too much light.

What are some of your favorite kinds of astro shots with the GH2?

• Awesome moon photography! It's... um... out of this world! :)

• @thepalalias

I've done astronomical cinematography with the GH2, too. Here's a neat trick for recording the stars:

Set variable movie mode to 300% and shutter speed to 1/8. Now you're letting in 3 times more light than a 1/25 shutter and 6 times more light than a 1/50 shutter. The resulting movie will playback at triple speed, but each frame will be unique - no duplicates.

• @Ralph_B Great I just put one of the extreme telephoto moon shots from December that used Sanity V2.

It's part of my recent blog of moon shots at http://perlichtman.com/pasdenapulse/wordpress/2012/05/08/the-moon-shot-variety-blog/

I may post one of the Sanity 5 shots from the super moon shoot as well, but bear in mind that by the time I finished with CM Night, the light had changed.

GH2 600mm 2x Extender EX24H - Sanity V2 still - watermarked 00028.MTS-0627.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
  • @mo7ies & others,

Because of the wheater that day (little contrast) the subjects you mentioned may look a bit sharper with stock S+1. All hacks give the GH2 a more filmic look and therefore less blocky contrasty vid-like. I will experiment further with S(harpness) in the patches. Personally i like vibrant -2, 0, -1, -2 a lot.

afeter many hacks i came to the following:

For lowbitrate/high image quality use @Ralph_B Sanity patches or Cake latest patches from @balazer @driftwood 's Cluster V2 has yet to be released (= low mbs/high gop settings)

For medium mbs. settings the best are the latest natural, gop3zilla or golgop patches from @bkmcwd

Happy shooting!

• I agree that in your examples water, bridge, and tree outlines look much better on the right.

But, near grass, sand, and the mass of leaves in the far trees looks better on the left, IMHO.

• @mo7ies Because i use vibrant -2+1-1-2 settings the stock firmware gives overly sharpenened footage and much less natural curves and blending in high contrast area's like the bridge side wooden frames in contrast with the water. The movement of the water is also far more natural @ the right side in the original footage (v5). I have also shot close-ups from trees and Sanity v5 gives much more detailed and less blocky and highlighted footage.

• With all due respect, in your example, left part looks slightly cleaner/sharper than the right part. I wish the two cameras were rolling simultaneously, though - water reflections and sky is different between the samples...

• @Ralph_B

Nothing new here. I just wanted to tell you that I was totally suprised by your Sanity patch this week! V4.1 gave already very low bitrates in my (static scnene) footage from Portugal (aprox. 15mbs) and looked beautifull. V5 suprises me even more! I shot 2 scenes with stock firmware and your V5 patch. V5 rendered much cleaner footage with lower bitrates than stock settings!! Here are the grabs and stream png´s. Thanks for all the hard work! Settings: vibrant -2, 0,-1,-2,

pls dwnl. original .MT2 file for proper judgement.

Sanity V5 stream.png
    746 x 398 - 34K
    Stock firmware stream.PNG
    746 x 398 - 37K
    Stock GH2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Sanity V5.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • To those who are concerned about bitrate: I've said it before and I'll say it again - Sanity 5 runs extremely effiecently. It only uses as much bitrate as is necessary for the subject material. This can vary quite a bit depending on what you're shooting. If you feel more comfortable seeing higher bitrates, use Sanity 4.1.

• This may have been done already, but a buddy of mine borrowed one of my GH2 bodies, which was hacked with Sanity 5. I think it was Nikon lenses he used. Hopefully this helps someone. The noise in the blacks and the blue are present in the original file.

• I tried Sanity 5 the other day. The only problems I had were that I was shooting in trees and pine needles looked very blurred while everything else around looked OK and that the footage would not play in camera. It would start, freeze and then stop.

• I've expected from Sanity 5 bitrate of HBR (customer asked 25p) about 44Mb/s , but I got on high detailed scene with Lumix 7-14mm @f/5.6 about 24Mb/s, and at scenes with very shallow DOF @Nokton 25mm @f/1.4 about 18Mb/s. Little confused about overall quality, image not looks closer to any 24p footage. And I think if more bitrate can help to improve it. Yes, I know 25HBR at interlace container not looks shine, but I would feel better with bitrate real 44 Mb/s or 66. May be possible to change VBR to CBR withSanity 5 settings? Second problem was 4-5 freezing hang out (on wedding dance party at garden) and so sad I was unable to save about 4-5 clips with message about slow cards!) It was low bitrate and fast memory cards. I shot it with 2 GH2 with Sandisk 64gb 95 MB and Sandisk 32gb 30MB - on both bodies with different cards and lenses happens same problem.

• OK, thanks duartix. Really very sharp.

• @Rambo & @AKED Sorry, I was using was 24H.

• @ Rambo Sorry for the typo, I wanted to write "Tango with Rambo! :) But back to topic.

• Hey Aked, don't Tambo with Rambo... haha.