Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • @ishvar Stunning video!!!

@tcarretti very nicely done and I agree with mo7ies, flat and post. That said, what you did looked very, very good and IMO warm black diffusion 1/4 looked the best. Audio was real good other than the room acoustics. The Rode did a good job.

• Subjectively, warm black diffusion 1/4 looked best for me. However, since white balance was set to auto and overall exposure was not kept the same test-to-test, it is almost impossible to draw any conclusions because there were more variables on each test than just filter change...

• @tcarretti , great quality ... you meant sharpness -2 , (not saturation)

• IMHO, in most situations, one can achieve better effects in post (AE) with a flat profile image at the stage of acquisition, rather than to bake-in the look with filters and heavier in-camera processing.

• OK, Vimeo finally got their act together...

Here's Sanity 5 24H along with Pasedena Pulse Audio.

Particulars:

14-42 Kits lens ISO 800 F 3.8 Auto White Balance AGC set at level 1 Rode Video Mic straight into camera via 10' extension and 3.5 to 2.5 adapter

No CC or post processing. This is the first time I rendered at 1080p and I used some new settings to try and get the best quality. I can really see a difference from the 720p that I usually render out.

• @ishvar in what mode did you shoot, HBR?
    Try 720 pal, much smoother, and sharper image.
    In post when you upscale it to 1080, it still will look better then HBR...

• ...out the same reason, maybe later...I like it, your video, the singer, her voice...

• Did a music vidclip with Sanity V5. 1080p 24p H Footage could not be played in camera lot´s of times! GH2 just stopped after a few seconds. No write errors while filming though and everything looks great in the editor and players. Has anyone else encountered the same problem?

• Yeah, I just sent Vimeo an email they;ll be whining about again.

• Tried to upload a new test with Sanity 5 and Pasedena Pulse along with a test of some Tiffen Fx filters on the kit lens but Vimeo screwed up the upload. Will have to try again when I get home tonight. It's the first time I've rendered it out in 1080p and I was really pleased with the results of both the Sanity settings as well as the audio.

• correction: the Cherry Tree Re-Cut WAS with the sanity 5 hack...all the rest is accurate...

• for anyone who want s to see what that canon zoom looks like, this is the first video I shot with it, 1080i stock firmware , low bitrate , uncorrected , smooth preset....the wide shots are as wide as I can go , rough equivalent to a 35mm lens, I guess around 32 mm-35mm

• oh, I should mention, my brick goes into a power supply/distributer that has a regulator....the brick tops out at about 15v dc when fully charged, but the supply always puts out 12v which is sweet...it will also put out 5v dc , and 7.2 v dc....and 9v with the transformer I rigger....

• the lens is a J15 IRS...I used a mount made by a guy in Poland......I actually used the 2x on the lens to cover the sensor , and I had a cable made by a guy in Chicago who sells on ebay...its a 12 pin to 2.1mm coax cable , so any 12v 2.1 mm coax supply will power the lens, there are lots of options for that...I have a li ion brick for a broadcast camera that I use, 8 ah 120 wh, will run the cam for days.....run it thru a 9v auto transformer I got on ebay for $4, sends perfect voltage to the dc coupler (about 9.3 v unloaded)....there is a tiny bit of CA at the most extreme zoom when wide open, dissappears at around f4....but its barely noticeable anyway, you need hard edges in the shot to see it....as for mics...I used an AT4073a for audience applause and a pair of Heil PR30's on the podiums......I set the trim on my mixer to 0db for the heil , and -20db for the AT, its a really hot mic...

• @peternap - I agree, 7D's audio is garbage. That's why I was so pleasantly surprised with GH2 - incredibly well done AGC, you don't even "hear" it work. Very solid, good quality audio out-of-the-box on GH2. Maybe you have a malfunctioning audio on your copy?

• @Mo7ies Try a 5DMKII with Magic Lantern (Which has it's problems but the audio is good) and you'll see the difference pretty quickly. Most DSLR's have bad audio, my 7D is horrible mostly because of the AGC. The GH2 is worse, very little responsive range and for some reason, it seems like the nodes go backwards instead of to the target. At times, it's even hard to sync with Pluraleyes. The mics are junk on the GH2 and the hack won't help that, but it's a simple matter to plug a decent mic in.

Hopefully, this will improve it some. Since I haven't tried it yet, I'm not sure what it will change. The hack is on Palias website. Take a look there for the specifics.

@Mozes Thanks! @sinfafun Good to hear it held up out of the mixer. That says a lot. What mic were you using? I was thinking of trying either my Sennheiser MKE400, Rode Videomic pro through my Juicedlink or just the old Videomic stand alone.

• @sinfafun B4 zoom - which model exactly? How did you power the zoom motor? How's the IQ? I assume it did not cover the sensor so you shot in ECT mode.

• heres a pic of the gh2 I used .....using a canon b4 2/3" lens with powered servo zoom , 7-120 mm

Lumix with 2x.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 85K
  • FYI....I used the audio hack / sanity 5 on a LONG (1 hr 40 minutes ) event shot non-stop this past saturday, at the lower bitrate 1080i......I was able to feed sound from an un-balanced mic out from my wendt x3 eng mixer, and even got good tone levels at Level 1....the audio was perfect and it looks like it may end up in a spot by NBC nightly news in a couple of weeks.....audi was pretty close to perfect...used sandisk extreme 32 gb 45 mbps cards

• The_palias setting for audio give a very nice clean and crisp audio.
    It have no negative influence on avchd settings...

• @peternap - I'm also curious about the specifics. Stock GH2 audio is actually the best I have heard so far on a DSLR, why do you think it is "pretty bad"? Clearly, one would not use it as a master track, unless it's a total emergency. Anyway, what mods are applied to the stock GH2 audio with the patch?

• @subco Thanks, it loaded fine!

• @Ralph_B It improves the audio abilities of the camera Ralph, which are pretty bad. I almost always record secondary audio on an H4n and sync it, but there are times I'd like to skip that. It's included in a lot of Driftwood's settings now and I think it's in M6 also.

My question and what I want to test today, is will it take enough of the processor resources to cause lockup during extreme shots.

• Thanks subco, i'll check it out

• I haven't been following this - what exactly does the audio hack do?