Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Relation between version increment and name of bin-file
  • My last topic (http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2614/exactly-what-is-the-deal-with-version-numbers-when-hacking-the-gh2) was closed with a reference to the FAQ (which didn't answer my problem) without me being able to comment, so I have to start a new thread (I'm really sorry about this, I don't want to spam the board and would have continued the discussion in the original thred if it was possible).

I'm going to try to be as clear as possible: What's the relation between the version incrament option and the naming of the bin-file itself?

The bin-file naming I think I've got. It seems to me like you always have to increase the number of it compared to the previous (although whatever happens when you get to 99 (that is, if you can start using a three digitit version number) never is mentioned). So I guess I will have to write down the latest bin-file naming in order to patch my camera again.

However, what about the version incrament? Does this have to relate to the bin-file naming in some way (that is, if I go from GH2__V10 to GH2__V11, do I have to set e version incrament to 1?) ? Do I have to take into consideration what version incrament I used for the last patching? Is it culminative? That is, if I remove PTools, will I have to put in a version incrament number that combines all the previous? (Let's say I'm patching my camera with version incrament 2, reinstall PTools, and then patch the camera with version incrament 10. Do I the next time have to patch it with version incrament 13 (2+10=12)?)

• 15 Replies sorted by
  • Use this topic next time

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/443/basic-and-beginner-questions#Item_841

@Speldosa

It looks like question is more aboiut theory.
    You do not need to touch increment at all now.
    If you want to use different file name (I mean version numbers), do it. Normally, if PTool allow you to save modified firmware, camera will read it without ptoblems.

• @Speldosa I just use any random pair or numbers at the end of the file name - doesn't particularly matter what two numbers you use. There is no significance to the two numbers at the end of the file.

• So you can use numbers beyond teens when you name the file, GH2__Vxx? Like GH2__V24?

• Think so. I've used 20 and then gone back to 12 or 16 or whatever. I have a set of different ones in a file, together with a text note about what each bin file is - to save redoing them in ptools. The GH2 doesn't seem to care what the numbers are.

• sweet thanks! and yes, i keep a text note in my GH2 folder as well - awesome.

• I think the biggest problem with problems with renaming files or the version increment is when you either forget to click "version increment" OR you try to hack without a full battery.

If the battery isn't 100%, even it it looks like it has full bars, it won't hack. Always top off the bat before a hack.

• I've flashed plenty of times with three bars and much less than 100% charge. 30 times in the last week

• To confirm what Mark_the_Harp said: my camera doesn't care what those two numbers in the filename are. You don't have to increase this number. Just the version increment. To answer the original question: there is NO relation.

Just to be clear: you HAVE to use this naming format: GH2__Vnn.bin (with nn being ANY number you want from 00 up to 99). You can't use other names or extensions in Ptool. I've tried renaming to GH2_Vnn.bin.driftwoodetc to make it easier to remember things, but the camera does not read it. Use txt info file instead.

• Dirk, two underscores, not one.

• Anyhow you can create subfolders with meaningful names like "QuantumOrion_v4d_DarkMatterMatrix_v3_Pasenda_audio_levels" inside your ptools dir and just put the differently patched bin´s inside.

• +1 on the subfolders thing - I've done that too - both work well as systems.

• @balazer. corrected it. sorry!

• Thanks for all the replies, but I really can't find an answer to my question anywhere here. Dirk says that you have to use the version incrament, Vitality says that you don't. And I haven't still found any information about what the version incrament actually represents.

• Dirk says that you have to use the version increment, Vitality says that you don't

I said just do not touch it. As it is checked automatically. You do not need to change anything.

• So to be clear, about your specific question about the relationship between version increment and name on bin-file: there is NO relationship.

Just make sure the version increment box is checked in pTools and you can save the firmware file as GH2__Vnn.bin (where nn is any two digits you like).