Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GF2 Flicker Reduction Behavior
  • I've taken this out of page 6 the GF2 Stable settings Thread http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2321/gf2-stable-settings/p6

GF2 is a strange camera in Video mode. Panasonic say in their manual that Flicker Red (Flicker reduction) when set to 1/50 >1/120 in video mode will lock the shutter. I agree from the tests i have done in bright daylight that it does, however it appears SOMETHING is changing when large amounts of light or dark is introduced quickly, it seems to have a trigger point. If you use a manual lens, set aperture, use an ND or VariND and set iso to 100, it appears you can shoot and lock shutter between 1/50 and 1/120.

In dark situations where the camera needs gain, i think the iso will follow a similar pattern, jumping at trigger points, but shutter and iso will be locked at what you set it to unless you pan the camera to a very bright or very dark area, this seems to trigger some change but not enough to correct exposure. Weird. I throw this out there for discussion, as there seems to be conflicting opinions on this and no real explanations on what the camera is doing.

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • Even if GF2 slows down the shutter speed automatically, I don't think it will go slower than 1/30. Otherwise there would be duplicate frames.

• what settings did you use on the GF2?

• The trigger points appear to be related to the exposure compensation range, doing some more test on this today.

• This is the most serious problem that GF2 user has, and is peevish, and I appreciate this report for it.