Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • So, here a real comparison between Sedna A and Mysteron.

All two shot at ISO 400 with canon FD 17 at f 5.6. I have heavy saturated the images. I see much more macro blocking on Mysteron!

Sedna=68.000 Kbts/s

Mysteron=18000 Kbts/s!

Mysteron.png
    960 x 540 - 392K
    Sedna.png
    960 x 540 - 706K
  • @MikhailK

Yes, it works.

No, it's been posted somewhere in this forum before.

• @onionbrain,

Thanks for your advice. I'll check it out. Strange... In case your advice works I'll have one question - am I the only one (after @onionbrain) who has found out this "fix precedure" only now?

• @thepalalias, @Zaven13, @liquidify,

Thanks for your thoughts. Actually I had the same problem with Sedna AQ 1. I did format my card a lot of times. And this is the fact - "it seems to happen when you stop a long recording with spanned files then try to start a new recording"! Al teast it happens with Sedna AQ1 and Mysteron.

Yes... format helps... but just to start recording from the beginning of the card. But what if you've got a lot of precious footage on your card already? You still have some space and WOW - Sorry, man...CANNOT RECORD...

I also never had this happen before with Orion or any other previous patches.

@driftwood, Nick, any thoughts on this issue?

• @MikhailK

Yes -- you've run straight into the only glitch I've encountered with the 64 gig, 95 MBps Sandisk card.

This is NOT a patch issue -- it's an issue of this camera with this card.

No files are damaged, and there is only one known not-too-annoying fix.

This error happens after you've recorded a spanned ("long") recording and then turn off your camera. When you turn it back on and hit record -- you get that error.

The fix -- is to record a not-spanned clip before you turn off the camera.

So, for example, if I recorded a 20 minute interview, before turning the camera off I'd record a few seconds of something/anything.

If you forget this trick -- your only options are either A) use another card, or B) offload your data from the card and then format the card.

I've avoided this little glitch by having four of these cards -- if I forget -- I just put in another. But, if other cards aren't an option for whatever reason -- the trick above will stop this glitch.

Again, there's no data loss and this issue isn't specific to any settings ("patch"). It's just a pain in the ass -- and, luckily, the ONLY pain in the ass I've encountered with these cards.

• @thepalalias. I understand. May be there is a limit to number of files that can be recorded on these cards. As we record, delete and re-record, the file numbers can get into hundreds and reaches a limit. It is a good practices to reformat these cards periodically or after every shoot. Also having some spare cards just in case.

• We are forgetting Driftwood's announcement about Canis Majoris. Nick what's about this setting? Are you left its developement? tell us anything, please!!

• @Zaven13 Yes, I did that when I got back home. But I was thinking more along the lines of resolving or preventing it in the field instead of addressing it after the fact.

• @MikhailK I have also had the cannot record file number exceed limit error. Everything that was already recorded worked fine though and there was quite a bit more space on card. Also, I know for fact that I have recorded many more spanned files before. For me it has been occurring with sedna aq1. I never had this happen before with Orion. I also noticed that it seems to happen when you stop a long recording with spanned files then try to start a new recording. I have never had the camera just stop recording on me. all on 64g 95mb/s.

• @Mikhailk, @thepalalias. "CANNOT RECORD. FILE NUMBER EXCEED LIMIT". I had that problem. Copy what you have on the card to hard drive and reformat the card. You are good to go.

• @MikhailK I encountered that problem recently too, but on my Transcend 64GB SDXC. I did not try to solve it, I just switched cards. Anyone have any ideas?

• @driftwood, guys,

Could you please help me with one spanning problem.

As I said before, I tried Mysteron patch and everything worked fine. I use SANDISK Extreme Pro SDXC UHS Class 1 95MB/s 64GB.

I tried to test it on spanning. Several files (each is about 4gb) were created but my card hasn't been fully recorded. I know there's still some space.

Then when I tried to record something more and it said: "CANNOT RECORD. FILE NUMBER EXCEED LIMIT". And of course, all the spanned files cannot be played/erased on GH2 as well. Format only...

I do realize somebody faced this problem before. Could you give me an advice on fixing it?

• @Kihlian I was shocked at the bitrate in 720-60 too and that's what I shoot most in....but it doesn't seem to have hurt the image quality in that mode. I think sometimes we put way too much value on high bitrates. Sanity is my choice for image and stability in 720, and has a higher bitrate, but still not as high as Flo Motion and IMO, a better image. Nick may have found the magic button with this.

• @peternap From mi very short test (I loaded Mysteron try it 5 min the same day that was released and then turn back to Sedna because I had a shoot the next day). The bitrate was very low and the image was not so sharp like Sedna A, but how I say have to make more accurate tests..

• @Kihlian What didn't you like about it?

• @jrd that's weird 'cause they actually support Cineform in MOV wrapper, not in AVI. At least it do in Windows, maybe it's different if you use the Mac version.

• @peternap Thanks, tried Mysteron very shortly but don´t liked it very much at 50p, maybe I give it another try..

• Hi There,

I am using Driftwood Quantum X Rocket V3B, I find the image quality really stunning. (Better than Motion Flow that I used before) However I had several card errors (on 16 Go Sandisk Extreme Class 10 - 30 Mo/sec) and no error on Extreme Pro 95 Mo/sec.

2 questions : - If you have tried both, Do you think Orion is more reliable than Rocket ? - is 45 Mo/sec minimum transfert speed for Quantum X Series ?

Thanks for sharing your experience (and special thanks to Vitaliy, Driftwood)

• @peternap What ISO have you used for the moonshot?

• Not just noise, but the green cast, where is it ? Much improved on the few shots I've taken.

• @LumixUser I'd love to know your setup, cause i think your images look splendid.

@davidhjlindberg Superb grading there!

• @MikhailK I agree about the noise. The moonshot I posted is always a guarantee for noise and it just isn't there. I've tried not to like this patch because I didn't want to switch, but so far, I can't find anything to NOT like. I even took some shots I botched and they worked out fairly well in post.

• @driftwood, @Vitaliy_Kiselev, @onionbrain and everybody,

I've just tried Mysteron in Standard and Nostalgic, both with -2-2-2-2 and now I got only one question - where the FU... has all the noise gone :-) ?

Even Nostalgic mode (that has the greatest dynamic range GH2 can achieve, but this "range" was with an ass-load of noise) is now PERFECT!!! Only nice grain !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick, Vitaliy, Thank you SO much!

In Russia we say (Vitaliy knows) - it's bad when you don't have a choice and it's much worse when you do! :-)

Nick, stop making your great patches! :-)

This is no April Fool's joke !!!!!!!!!!!

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions