Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Final Cut X topic, moving to ARM and vlogging
  • 405 Replies sorted by
  • Ooohhh Vitaliy, how good it is to hear someone who has a strong and forward thinking as you do!
    This is the first topic on FC X that doesn't go along with the "Final Cut Gate" bash of complains!
    -FC X is a editing software for the future, so backwards compatibility shouldn't even be mentioned by the so-called "pros". It's new foundations are what is gonna make possible to develop features that we are gonna need from here on...
    - A production company as far as I'm aware of is not the public that upgrades first anyway. For my experience, it takes awhile for production cias to upgrade and they usually wait until the new version is more stable. That said, the new FC X is aimed to individuals and as it's a new paradigm, these are the people who will get used to the new (and awesome) interface/features. That's why the features available now focus on what one can do within the program and not to provide compatibility with other programs.
    - Video is far more than "broadcast" these days and that's gonna be the case from here on... That's the future. And thanks God for that!! Can anyone explain why we still have "interlaced" as a must on a "official" VIDEO camcorder?? That works great for TV (and that is a technology from the 1930's!!) but it's just not good if your video is going to be played on a computer... The same goes for non-square pixel aspect ratios...
    - "Pro", therefore is more than cinema and TV productions as more and more people will be working with video for web delivery. That said, has anyone noticed that if you are an editor and own the FC X that makes you a legit pro? How?? If you own it you can sell jobs made on it and more, if you are going to freelance for a production company you can even work with you FC X on their top notch Mac Pro, even if they don't own the software or use AVID or something- you are granted that you can install and use your Mac App Store software on any machine you own or "control", so these kinda of freelancers extra editors are gonna be a great deal/big savings for companies as they will come providing their own licenses on the software they will run to do their jobs!
    - Has anyone forgotten how difficult it was to learn Final cut (traditional) in the first place??? Today I know it backwards but it DID TOOK A LONG TIME. Compared to that, the new FC X is a piece of cake to learn even tough it's totally different. Really it's very easy! Move tool for "overwrite" and positioning clips anywhere you want, select tool to build a story with solid connections, timelines and compound clips to do composites and more intricate editing, etc. Select a storyline and your edit shortcuts will work on that.
    - Time remapping!!!! Finally done the right way!! My favorite overhaul! If anyone has ever shot on DSLR 60p to do slow motions, you know you had to transcode first, then duplicate footage to have working clips on both regular speed and the other duplicate conformed (in cinema tools) to be slow mo), then you had to send your extremely dramatic slow motion portion of the edit to Motion just to process it with "optical flow", render it, re-import (as it wouldn't render properly in the motion project created on your timeline in FC) and then you had your retiming effect good to go... Now you import from your DSLR and on the timeline you can do all that in a single place- ITS AWESOME!!!!!
  • I here what your saying Romeo, but the ability to work freelance is very seriously hampered by the fact that you cannot hand off your work to a professional company (no EDL, no OMF). If you do work in a pro studio you will work within a pipeline, you get the footage, you do your bit, you hand it on. FCP X cannot fit into a professional production pipeline, not just because it's incapable of exporting or importing via the standard file formats, but because it insists on storing everything you do on the physical Mac you are using. This includes any metadata you create on any of your clips or work, this is lost when you move the contents of the project to anywhere else. Also, although you can install your copy on any Mac thanks to the app store this is also geographically limited, as in you can only do this in the country you bought it in. This may not be a problem, but it could be if you end up with a gig somewhere outside your country. FCP X is built for solo workers working on individual projects from start to finish themselves, there is nothing in it anymore that allows you to work collaboratively. Fair enough, it is a valid market, but if you do want to work in a professional capacity with studios and/or production companies (TV, advertising etc) you will have to use AVID or Premiere (or Lightowrks once its matured a lot) as you can no longer pass your work to or from an AVID setup (which is what most pro houses are going to switch back to if they use FCP or FCS at the moment). Also as a freelancer in the current market you'll find that not being able to work with RED footage will also limit you, not many production companies are going to want to transcode 2K footage just for you. RED shot footage is becoming increasingly common, though it's obviously not everywhere.

But yeah, if you shoot, edit and then sell directly to a client yourself, and all the clients want is the final work, then FCP X is great. That kind of work is definitely out there, and it is a market that's growing. If you consider the small number of features that Apple have to put back into FCP X in order to make it fit into a professional production companies pipeline the decision to leave them out is.. well.. quite amazing. They've decided to not just give up on the custom of the production companies but also on the freelancers that work for them.

I expect that apple will either change it and put back in the essential features required for it to fit into a proper pipeline, or they'll sell the old source code on to the larger production houses that use FCP or FCS like they did with Shake.
  • lol. FCPX has a dedicated menuitem for Vimeo uploading?
  • Thanx Stray for the feedback,
    I know what you mean but I think studios will take a while to upgrade anyway and that's why I think FC X is aimed at individuals in this first release. I think the under_the_hood technology that goes in X is what is gonna prove a necessity in the near future...

- I also think that OS X Lion is gonna make FC X shine (native edit will see great benefits as right now it's still preferable if not mandatory to transcode just like before but in the bg...)
    - Machines with SSD will also make the FC X approach instant on
    - I guess also that the Thunderbolt technology has something to do with the abandonment of Final Cut Server (it will probably replace it's functionality at a fraction of the price)

I know it's a lot of "guessing" but I kinda hope for the best in the future... In that sense I can envision that it will be much easier/cheaper to start a "studio business" in the future if editors are granted to use their software wherever they work and thunderbolt raid drives can act like server farms...

Apple has weird/irritating ways of doing stuff and it's been awhile that people have been waiting for the update, that's why so much discontentment.
    But if you remember, the first iPhone didn't even have a video camera! It also didn't have any other apps rather than the ones that came bundled with it. Look how great things turned out to be in just 4 years!
    What I mean is that Apple is providing a good solid base for editing and either the community and/or Apple themselves will expand on that base. The APIs and developers kit stuff are out now so it totally makes sense that third parties are gonna jump on and provide interesting solutions to expand on the collaboration capacities of the software.
  • When you are working on 1.6 processors of 32 bit, and it's already been years, it can be really frustrating...
  • If you're a Final Cut editor contemplating making a change in the wake of Apple's FCPX roll-out, you're not alone. Here's one long-time Final Cut user who tried out Adobe Premiere CS5.5 on a paying gig. He found a lot to like, and not much to miss.
    by Helmut Kobler

http://library.creativecow.net/kobler_helmut/FCP-vs-Premiere-Pro/1
  • Vitaliy you know you are my hero for the things you said in the film about obsolescense from that french girl loong time ago! I highly respect your opinions on most things. But I disagree about apples move with fcpx as being good and the right thing. For apple maybe yes, they are turning into a gadget corp with iXXX products and the next generations in mind. they also want to generate internet bandwidth and earn on that which is why iphones in australia make up 50% of internet traffic already ( and steve earns on each mb of data streamed), so to say bye bye to professional video editors is a logical move, no advanced form of astrology. So now we have a stripped down version for half the price which can probably be upgraded by buying extra add-ons and in some time maybe even be compatible to what fcp7 was able to do BUT: only 2 months ago apple representatives went to large post pro housesin various EU countries and convinced them to buy servers and licenses for fcp7, telling them (now) obvious lies about up-and backwards compatibility! that is brutal! as brutal as you can get!
  • @timbook2

I think that you made up my position and after this disagree with it :-)
    My position is simple - for Apple it is good.
    For most other our forum members it is good also.
    First, for under 400 you can get software much more adopted for single man team.
    Second, if you do not like previous situation, thanks for FCP X for under $400 you can get Adobe Pro CS 5.5.
    For me it looks like win-win. For large production houses - I am not so sure. This bastards are now buying Adobe Suites in big amounts as I understand situation.
  • Just got CS Premiere 5.5 I like the idea of no transcoding, 64 bit....but Ive been a Final Cut user for a long time although Avid I still use for certain projects too--if I just need a quick turnaround, with basic color correction and simple editing.I havent been on Premier since Premiere Pro 1.5 ...wow lot has changed.
  • Bill Gates left MSFT after releasing .NET framework 1.0 which was debuted as the "future" of programming platform. All .NET books from O'Reilly had sea creatures on covers to symbolize the world dominance as ocean covers most of surfaces. It never happened. Microsoft would need to be broken into smaller companies. Gates left Microsoft at the peak.

Jobs stepped down. I'm speculating that Apple would follow similar path. FCP X is Apple's .NET framework 1.0. I wouldn't expect much from future versions of FCP X.
  • Really? Well considering it's only speculation, I'll disagree. Comparing Steve to Bill is sacrilegious at least coming from an avid steve fan. But they've said there working on things, allowing users to add features and tools la carte to give "Pro" what they need. BTW on a new i7 machine, FCPX screams...its still early but I'll think they're be improving it.
  • Final Cut Pro X update 10.0.1 adds XML support, GPU accelerated export, Camera import SDK and some other features.
    http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/software-update.html
  • Also, a free 30 day trial.
  • Also they say the next update will deal with Multicam and Broadcast Video output. It was only a matter of time before Apple started addressing the issues some had. It was still a great move to totally revamp the code, cuz going forward the platform will benefit from more modern underpinnings.
  • Also remember that 30 day trial is available
    http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/trial/
  • Hey, I got the trial . . . can't import .mts files independent of the card structure, so you have to have the card itself or a disk image of the card to import .mts

also, they say the color corrections stuff is more powerful and that Color is built in now, but I can't seem to find any overly advanced color stuff, just basic selectors very much in the same vein as 3-way color corrector. anybody know where I find the advanced stuff (note, I did get a histogram, which was useful)
  • I love this update. Fixes some minor issues, full screen support and a clear message that they are committed to the professional user. All I need right now. I love working with this software and see a bright feature.

And early 2012 (multicam + professional monitoring) is around the corner already... almost october.
  • Not sure if you guys are having issues updating FCPX like me and a lot of others around the web are. It seams the fix is to put FCPX in the trash, and install it again. There is a concern doing this will take away one of the 5 computers per license you can install it on but who know's for sure. I have a theory on why FCPX wont update for some people. I think if you purchased FCPX and are still on the same Mac OS when you purchased it, it'll update fine. Example: If you Purchased FCPX and you were on Snow Leopard and are still on Snow Leopard it should update fine, also if you were on Lion when you purchased FCPX it should also update fine. I believe the reason people are having issues updating FCPX is because they were on Snow Leopard when they purchased FCPX and updated the OS to Lion and are now trying to update FCPX. I bet it's a bug in FCPX, Lion, and/or the App Store that can't tell that the Mac is the same Mac after the OSX update. Just a theory, but I've called my friends and asked them and it seems to be the case with everyone I know.
  • ok, so there are advanced color and shape masking tools for color grading . . . took a wile to find 'em . . . I gotta say, for the one-man-crew creatives like myself, this is a very capable and powerful tool. I still need to figure the bast way to keep clips organized, though.
  • @Brian202020

I brought Final Cut Pro X on Snow Leopard, just upgraded to Lion at the weekend and upgraded Final Cut to 10.0.1 last night. Just ran it now and its running fine. So I don't think the steps you describe are a guaranteed recreate for the problems.

As for losing the 5 computers per license, surely there is some official way you can remove the app that frees up the install license, its something i've never looked into but there has to be a way, just like you can deauthorise machines within iTunes??

I'm looking forward to the improvements and continuing to learn how to use the thing.
  • @jimtreats
    Yeah I read that elsewhere as well. There goes my theory. I just deleted it, reinstalled it, and got it over with.

Also, in case anyone is interested, it seems there is a solution for importing FCP7 XML's into FCPX after all. You'll need CatDV 9.0.1. With that app you can import FCP7 XML's into CatDV and then output the new FCPX Rich XML. So far there are a few issues tho, It doesn't send clips with speed changes. There are probably a few other exceptions as well, but it's a step in the right direction. Test is out, there it a trial version.
    http://www.squarebox.co.uk/download1.html
  • I think that Apple really has filled up an empty market with Final Cut Pro X. There is no reason to hunt for AVID. As I see they could either have gone for the top end market, which consists 99% of Avid, from my own experience. Or they could have gone for AE/Premiere, which also would have been foolish. I am glad we can finally see a reasonable priced software. Hopefully it will push some pressure on AVID to lower their price. Heck, even professional editing companies use pirated AVIDS these days.