Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Final Cut X topic, moving to ARM and vlogging
  • 405 Replies sorted by
  • FCPX could be the first step toward right direction... but are they already late in the game? FCPX is the last chance for Apple on native app side. iTunes competitors are catching up. So iCloud is Apple's big gamble.

I own iPhone and Macbook Pro. But I never buy any other things from Apple. No accessories made by Apple. No paid apps made by Apple. No warranty extension. Except major OS X upgrades. $29.99.
  • >Does Final Cut Pro X deal with the AVC-HD files natively?

Yes, it does.
  • Does Final Cut Pro X deal with the AVC-HD files natively?

• funny shit :)
  • >1. In what way are they 100% right from development standpoint? Explain.

Look above - http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/2982#Comment_2982
    I can also add that in such big software projects sometimes rewriting from scratch is the only choice.
    Sometimes no one understand how some old code parts are really working.
  • 1. In what way are they 100% right from development standpoint? Explain.
    2. Yes, the majority of dedicated FCP users are in implementing stages. They are implementing *away* from FCP as their main edit suite of choice. That's not to say that many won't learn it. They will learn it, of course, since they might have business reasons, etc., to learn it.
    3. You are right about press releases. But I don't necessarily want a "press release" apologizing. I want some *evidence* that the next update of fcp will include certain basic functions/improvements and *when* that will be. If we go by previous standards, the updates have been every *2 years*. Hmmm.....

(BTW, I appreciate all the independent-minded work you've done Vitaliy, and your critical perspective on things, including this forum!)
  • @CritcalThink008
    I know that some professionals and many "professionals" are crying out loud.
    How FCP X must be FCP 7, just improved in formats handling, rendering speed, etc.
    Again, from development standpoint Apple had been 100% right.
    And they are also right in release schedule, as they are good at iterating.
    All this whining going to teams who collect them. I am sure that most are already in implementation stages.

Must you expect loud official press releases? Most probably no, as it is against modern marketing principles.
    Such releases just can cast bad shadow on product in the eyes of wide public.
  • FCPX might be a move in the right direction in terms of 64bit integration and the fundamental core of the system, and there are some good features.... but, with all due respect, there those videos gloss over some BIG problems with implementation & functionality.

1. I don't buy this excuse "oh, it's a new foundation....it's version 1.0." Give me a break: Adobe CS5(.5) is to CS4 what FCPX should've been to FCP7. Adobe doesn't need this excuse. BTW, you can import FCP7 projects into Adobe Premiere, but NOT FCPX.

2. People are SPECULATING that Apple will "eventually" add the MISSING (keyword) features or 3rd parties might. APPLE HAS OFFICIALLY SAID NOTHING ABOUT THIS (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I don't know about you but if some company replaces my favorite ice cream with some flavor I don't like, doesn't say they are going to bring back my old favorite, and is better off spending its time and money keeping the new product the way it is or attending to other projects.... well, I go looking for a new flavor. Of course, you might say that I still have FCP7--but, to change metaphors, why would I stay with one tool (FCP7) when I can go to a different tool (Adobe or Avid) that does a better job?

The only way to defend Apple on this execution is to note that (a) from a business perspective, it was in their interest to do it this way and/or (b) it's a good tool for the hobby-ist who might want to dable in video editing and doesn't have to work with other editors.

But it clearly a disaster in terms of what most professionals and people who are serious about making indie-films and are passionate about video want and need. Walter Biscardi has a nice summary of why this is a bad release: http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/final-cut-pro-x-whats-missing-for-some-pros
  • Conversation with Philip Hodgetts about FCPX

Jem Schofield about FCP X
  • Tell me what apps from Apple you use other than FCP or FCPX. Most people I know don't use any app from Apple except iTunes. But we all hate iTunes app.
  • Don't see any logic here. Steve is extremely ill man and he already symbol figure only.
    As for NET, nothing wrong with NET. Being marketing department smarter with NET, no iPad or Android had been present today.
  • FCPX is a big gamble for Apple. If they fail FCPX, I bet Steve Jobs will retire. It's like .NET for Microsoft. Bill Gates retired after delivering .NET framework.
  • >Export to XML that PP CS5 can import. It might need some update from CS5 side also.

Somehow I have big doubts that it'll happen.
    From pure practical points it is not very common to work in both packages.
  • Sorta indirect integration. Export to XML that PP CS5 can import. It might need some update from CS5 side also.
  • >I will think about it when it integrates well with CS5.

What do you mean under integration with CS5?
  • Call me old timer. There is no hurry in adapting drastic changes. I will think about it when it integrates well with CS5.
  • :-) It is really funny, nothing more.
    FCP X is move in absololutely right direction.
  • Yes, I agree, FCPX will be very popular. And BTW, there's no need to wait for third-party converters. FCPX is a dazzling upgrade to iMovie 11, and making the move up is practically seamless:

• From software developer POV I am fully with Apple.
    It is very hard to find good developers with specific skills and expirience.
    So, they moved all guys to new projects. And they are right.
    Complains about old versions are extremely common.
    FCP X will be very popular, so if it'll have some holes that is not closed with Apple product third-party developers will introduce it fast.
    I think that we are weeks before first commercial converters of old projects.
  • The big showstopper is not what FCP X can or can't yet do; it's the announcement that Apple has terminated Final Cut Studio.

While it's true that existing FCS3 projects can continue on to completion, what are the prospects for anyone considering launching a new FCS3 project? How much ongoing support can be expected from third-party FCS plugin developers - will they continue to release updates for FCS now that its future is closed? How much longer will FCS import and export features be provided by new releases of competing video editors, post-production utilities, and video codec developers?

One thing that's absolutely clear is that there will be no future releases of Final Cut Studio. While FCP X has a similar name and shares a common marketing legacy, it is a fundamentally different product and there is currently no way to transition and maintain current Final Cut Studio projects with FCP X.

Think different.
  • Just added various links to second post.
  • It's not really a waiting. Just getting busy with other things first.
  • I always wanted to understand why people like "to wait".
    Do or Do not. Fuck waiting. :-)
  • FCPX is a totally new product. I will wait for version 2.0... or I will be happy with CS 6. More likely the latter.