Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Digital Bolex raw camera, no longer made
  • 1130 Replies sorted by
  • It's gonna be hard to use the handcrank if the camera needs to be operated in a 'fridge.

• @eatstoomuchjam... you might be right, but I should confess I'm still in shock from the outfit the guy on the left's wearing, sweet mother of jesus, why you gave birth? :P
    I say this but my last girlfriend's taste was sometimes down this road... if I just had had the DB to film her with

• Hipsters!!!! Argggggg!

• They're using my dorm fridge now?

• I can't believe that I made it a minute in before I hit mute. The vimeo compression is not helping matters as far as image, is concerned. I hope it's vimeo...

• The musician is almost more hipster than the camera.

• My first thought.

James-Belushi-Smashes-Guitar-Animal-House.gif
    500 x 271 - 958K
  • @vicharris HA! My wife shares your disdain of hipsters just as much.

• Those are some tricky lighting conditions. Good thing they had raw... and their use of a CCD helped prevent a lot of the jello that they'd otherwise get in that static shot with almost no movement! What an impressive display of their camera's abilities!

• Pocket Cam blows it out of the water in terms of the feel from the image. Looks horrible to me. Hopefully it's the atrocious lighting they had going on there.

• It would be funny if they were using like a TM700 to make these videos. Not saying they are, just saying it would be funny.

• Couple of iPhones on a tripod would give this "test" a run for its money, seems they are reluctant to push the "capabilities" of this camera, either that or don't know how to use it yet.

• The other thing I find strange is that the clips appear to have been done with different cameras.

• Yeah, what looks like the low CRI lighting they're using (LED + Fluorescent) is really not helping the image out (plus Vimeo compression, plus non 1080p upload), although I think this test was mainly for the audio capabilities of the cam.

• I think it was a 1080p upload, vimeo just took forever to make it available.

• Yeah, it wasn't available when I checked it out last night.

• This is really becoming a saga... but (and I can't seem to find it in the thread so far) what the hell camera did they actually shoot their original movie on? Does that thing even exist now?

• They shot the original on a prosilica gx2300.

• @eatstoomuchjam - thank you! I obviously didn't read the first few pages of the thread very carefully. :)

• We’re pleased to announce that the Digital Bolex D16 will begin shipping to backers starting this week. If you are a backer, we will contact you shortly to verify your shipping addresses and contact details, so please make sure that emails from digitalbolex.com will clear your spam filter.

For those of you who are not backers but are interested in purchasing a camera, we are also announcing our first official pre-sale for the next 500 cameras! This pre-sale will open on December 16th at 10am EST through our website with a retail price of $3,299 for a 256 GB camera, and $3,499 for the 512 GB camera.

Huh. It is interesting that will come first, new sale or first actual camera received.

• I want one. But I will wait.

• Wait, does this camera have ONBOARD memory? Or am I misinterpreting?

If I'm not, what happens when you fill up and are still on set - stop everything and make the entire cast and crew wait while you offload the data?

Edit: ok, it takes CF cards in addition to the internal hard drive, so that's not as bad as I thought.

• ok, it takes CF cards in addition to the internal hard drive, so that's not as bad as I thought.

It is not that bad, but it is not good either. As CF are here for a reason - slow speed.

And here that in case of any issue with SSD your camera is toast.