Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Quad and Hexa copters
  • 423 Replies sorted by
  • Hi! Finally something own. We have awesome custom alexmos gimbal for GH2. Still need 3-axial version to smooth panning :). basicly don´t need post stab. We were even able to shoot smooth video with GH2 with kit lens zoomed to 42 mm :). And over 10 m/s wind stable video last week. Brushless gimbals change whole multicopter filming :). I got also Martinez board (open source) and go pro gimbal. I tested it only with my ixus (dont have Hero3 yet).

• Maybe a little strange question but did anybody ever tried to think about a flying object based on a combination between copter and helium filled rigid/non-rigid vessels.

• I tried preorder a 6 rotor version of the XPRO Heli about 6 months ago, but they've had some issues with gimbal and parts or something, so for a recent extreme sports stunt I pulled the trigger on a phantom, having seen some better quality videos with anti-vibration mounts and different cameras. (When it came out it looked like a cool toy, but with extremely unstable video.)

Bottom line, the thing is amazing to fly, goes everywhere, and is durable as hell. It survived our first clumsy crashes and now can race waves in the ocean, fly indoors, whatever. It's great.

Video has been a different challenge. I bought an LX7 for the purpose and have been experimenting with different mounting possibilities. Right now it's several layers of foam into some gopro hardware into the hotshoe. We've gotten a few seconds of video here and there useable for intercutting with professional videos, but of course nothing close to the gimbal look. A couple Anti-Vibration mounts for GoPro haven't made it here yet, was going to check those out.

Meanwhile I'm seeing the new gimbals for the GoPro 3 and basically wondering if I can reach out and pay someone to make me a lightweight gimbal or something along those lines for the LX7. The weight doesn't seem to be a huge problem so far, but I wouldn't put a whole lot more on there.

• I will probably spring for a DJI 550 in the next few months, I recently bought a 3-way brushless motor gimbal off ebay. Very home-made looking but less than $400 and works! Until then, I will just use it as a hand-stabilizer! It holds 750g, so I can barely squeeze on a gh3 w/olympus 9-18 lens. (did not test that yet, but works well with Nex & kit lens). The maker said the gimbal+750g for camera+lens will work fine with DJI 550, so I have high hopes of getting some good footage on here eventually.

On a sidenote, I also picked up a GF2 refurbished on ebay for $150. I may end up having a camera+gimbal solution+hexacopter for approx $1500 total!

• @P13DM Thanks! To be clear, I probably would not risk my gh3 on it in a hexacopter configuration, but my gf2 with the kit 14-42 is much lighter, besides since I only paid $150 for the gf2+kit lens, I wouldn't be too worried about any accidents :)

• @P13DM Yeah, I wish!! :)

• Hi! We been using now with my collaque Alexmos board on gimbal and here my 1 month old test with open soucse martinez board, just with Ixus (dont have yet hero3 here specs of my copter, but building that with enough trust.. You don´t need to spend much money, if have time to solder and google.. of course DJI phantom is really easy to start, but a lot of problems.. with gps. we dont use gps at all anymore. too risky on ecpesially in city and events...

Here my Martinez board first test.. works nicely..

and here we have my partner´s hexacopter alexmos brushless for gh2 clips. some copter clips also filmed to this production just without gimbal hero3 and warthox quad on manual, because track was too close airport. It was windy (15 m/s) on filming days.. but copter clips was just addons for this Ice1racing production

now Ill continue building my martinez for big cams and my new X8 and hero3 quad with brushless. Have a good day! But mainpoint was that those martinez and alexmos works also ok.. some people has buided even 3 axial brushless stb by two of those boards.

• So I was looking to hire someone for aerial video for just about 30 min to cover a wedding that I am gonna be shooting and I was told their min rate is $5000/day. Damn!! I live in St Paul, MN and aerial photos/video are not yet very popular. Time to start in saving for a DJI S800 EVO.

• Low-cost RTK GPS receiver (centimeter level precision) with open source software and board design targeted at UAVs.

Piksi is an RTK GPS receiver with open source software that costs one tenth the price of any other available RTK system.

We designed Piksi with the belief that providing this level of positioning precision at a radically lower cost would open it up to a much wider range of applications. We are particularly excited about its use in autonomous vehicle systems. Civilian and hobbyist use of UAVs has increased dramatically over the last few years, yet highly accurate, low cost localization solutions are not available yet. We hope that Piksi will help to fill this gap and push the envelope of what is possible with these systems.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/swiftnav/piksi-the-rtk-gps-receiver

• Some "light head" tried then extreme wedding shooting... :). I wouldn´t put this on public. :/. But in these cases Phantom quad is good innovation....for people like this....:), If this had filmed bigger hexa, You would see also blood big time on this shot :(

• "If any of you has reasons why these two should not be married, speak now or forever hold your p(e)ace."

• @karpo3

We have this, just in wedding topic :-)

• anyone using a discovery from the black sheep ? is it a better choice compared to a dji phantom ? really need some advices for my first multirotors.

• Check out the Arris ready to fly systems from Hobby-wing.com - extremely reasonable for ready to fly using proven flight controls (dji naza M v2 and Naza Lite)

http://www.hobby-wing.com/multi-rotor-helis.html