Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Quad and Hexa copters
  • 423 Replies sorted by
  • I've been looking pretty seriously at an ArduCopter (www.diydrones.com) which they claim can fly a pre-programmed flight path with gps and sonar. I'm thinking either a go pro 2 or an Nex, not sure about mounting the GH2.

• Sorry, but that is still a dream... At least to get smooth video out of if. It's like putting a steadycam on a walking robot. Yeah, it can move to predetermined places, but to artfully move the shot you still need a skilled human.

• The Mikrokopter can follow a set of GPS waypoints, hold for a predetermined period of time with the camera pointed at a GPS coordinate, then move on automatically, return to the home position and land automatically -- all while lifting a GH2 or even 5D. Shoot at 720p60 with IS turned on, make sure all the blades are shaved for perfect balance, and it's actually a fairly decent replacement for a full stabilized heli rig, at a tenth of the cost. If anyone wants to see one in action, drop me a line next time you're in New York.

• I wonder how the Olympus 5 axis image stabilization would work out with Quad copter vibration?

• @disneytoy

As we figured out it does not work in video at all.

• Haha .. that machine gun video is funny and scary at the same time. Somehow ... i don't trust that dude :-)

• @Rambo if you don't know the background, that's part of the new Call of Duty viral marketing for Black Ops 2 or the new game. The last Black Ops came with this: http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Prestige-Edition-Xbox-360/dp/B003WFLGO4

So it's possible that the new Black Ops 2 or whatever the next Prestige Edition is might have a copter. Exactly what it looks like, and how big remains to be seen. Last Prestige Edition cost $159...so if the new one is that size and costs that much, that would be a bargain.

• FWIW, when I was looking at buying a big octo from http://www.infinitejib.com/, the piece of advice that they gave me was to learn to fly first, on a cheapo single-rotor, the idea being if you can fly a single-rotor copter, you can fly a multicopter much more easily. Start without training wheels so you learn and don't wreck your 25,000 craft. There were a few copters at NAB; one super-cheapie from china and the Droidworx airframes, which are the top of the line that I know about. Video to follow.

• Here's a very cool video showing an Oktokopter with a Sony CX730. What's different about this is the remote-control zoom, which gives some very effective results.

• This look really impressive with Sony's new image stabilization.

• Incredible! I don't know about making a whole movie on one of these but used in tandem with 2 or 3 conventionally operated cameras on the ground... This is just such a cool tool. I'm looking forward to seeing some wild stuff shot with mini-copters over the next few years.

• Here is a demo of our Cinestar 8 with a hacked GH2:

• maybe this would be something for monitoring without too much hassle ? http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/437305544/wireless_hdmi_transmitter_and_receiver_whdi.html

• @mankus71 That's very impressive. How much experience do you have flying RC copters?

• This Spherical Ball flying like a bullet. But I don't think it fly high though.

• Seriously, I think with one of these new body designs, pretty much anyone will be able to fly one, never mind spook some cattle:

• bah, this is a very bad taste idea.

• Here is a example of the fatest, meanest kopter flying big cameras.

• @mankus71 - great work man!

@klem007 - Transmit distance is only 10~15m

• I'm extremely interested in these, but have so far failed to find a good guide on how to build these for a semi-cheap price (around 200€, maybe 250€ and possibly with the MultiWii). I would probably go with a GoPro seeing as the ProTune is coming out soon, although I will wait for some test footage. These are indeed quite complex to construct.

• Survivor Costa Rica 2012. Used 2 octocopters and one quad, GH2 and Nex5.