Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Why no 1080p 60p?
  • I was surprised that the new Canon Mark III, the Nikon D800, etc, only have 60p @ 720p. That little Sony pocket camera has 1080/60p. I'm hoping the GH-3 will give us some nice 1080/60p for slow mo.

Is there any technical reason all these new cameras don't or can't offer this frame rate?

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • I'm quite sure it is related to the time it takes to read out large sensors. small sensor of pocket camera= fast readout times. so these do have an advantage!

• @disneytoy

It relates to heating, frequences and many other things. Sometimes it can be just missing lines in technical requests made by marketing.

• Thanks. It just seems to be a good selling point. Canon and Nikon can't do 1080/60p, but the new GH-3 does. Like that. Basically with the Canon Mark III, that sets its specs for the next 3-4 years.

• I think, GH3 will have p50 and p60 with about 98% probability.

• I like the Panasonic Engineers. Now that Olympus has the cool 5 axis stabilization. Canon has Intra 90mb/s. a 4K DSLR promised. I think they will have some goodies for us with the GH-3. Hopefully they take the lead from Canon and not raise the sensor Megapixels much.

• I really hope they won't raise the megapixels number at all. The sensor is overcrowded already. Will those fuckers at marketing restrain themselves this time? One can dream of a 2 megapixels micro 4/3 sensor with full-frame like dynamic range and highlight roll-off but even if that was possible, it won't happen due to marketing reasons. It's just sci-fi for jerking off late at night.

• But, even marketing must take into account the features and direction of the new Canon, Olympus and Sony. I think Nikon D800 to a lesser extent.

• Would also love 120p @ 960x540, or even 640x480 if that's all they could do. Just for fun. Point and shoot Casio's can even do that.