Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Z-Cam E2 Hacks Development Started
  • I've found a stable way to make changes in firmware files for E2 (and even make any changes without full reflashing camera). That's all, folks :)

You can place here any your questions about this.

All detailed technical info during Z-CAM E2 research process will be posted here:

https://github.com/storyboardcreativity/Z-Camera-E2-Reverse-Engineering

Plans section

• Idea is to cover most if not all cameras in E2 lineup

Issues list

[VK - added structure a little]

taf.jpg
    831 x 621 - 320K
  • 59 Replies sorted by
  • @IronFilm and @Bob_Hawk

Guys, firstly, IMX299 (in E2) and IMX294 (in GH5s) are different sensors.

Secondly, please, read specifications. IMX299 supports even 350 fps in HD mode. Z-CAM DO NOT overclock their sensors, all is ok.

• @Bob_Hawk, interesting.... now we know why Panasonic/BMD doesn't drive their "identical" GH5S sensors as hard (no FPS above 4K 60) as Z Cam does, because they don't want to deal with all the dead pixels that would result from long term usage.

• Is it possible to boost the video transmitter 2.4ghz of the Z-cam E2 ?

• @Bob_Hawk

Watch this: https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products/common/pdf/IMX299CJK_Flyer.pdf

According to this document, we know:

• It's possible to get 350 FPS 1280x720 in 12 BIT from Z-CAM E2! (watch Readout mode 9)
    • Z-CAM E2 4K 160 fps 10 BIT mode seems like true 4K (watch Readout mode 2)
  • Sorry true longer afk

About the e2 hack: I'm afraid there won't be much more to get out of the sensor,

because jason is driven with a whip for marketing reasons, the sensors and chips to the limit.

Growing dead pixels are becoming more common, especially among people who film a lot with 120FPS and 150FPS.

The problem is known from the area of ​​PC overclocking "electron migration"

Other manufacturers BM / Panasonic prefer to go the way of long-term reliability stability, thanks to active cooling (already had the BMPCC 10 years ago)

BM removed the global shutter from the operating system of my BMMCC shortly before it appeared because the GS mode had placed too much load on the sensor, which resulted in the dead pixels growing significantly

Has one of you heard of problems with dead pixels at BM or panasonic?

Zcam fixes dead pixels with a sensor calibration that is part of the noise reduction you can found it in Zcam Facebook site

If dead pixels appear ... they disappear as if by magic during the sensor calibration.

I came across it while researching the cooling of the Zcam cameras

Dead pixels ... thermal noise ... the 3d noise reduction bends it all out

• No news, good news ? :-)

• Hello, can you boost the WiFi output power for having reliable connection ?

• New FW version 0.97 is out. But still no info about it on http://www.z-cam.com/

W46Udd-IdxY.jpg
    576 x 1280 - 115K
  • I've found hidden menu in E2 that allows sensor recalibration: Menu -> System -> Camera Status -> press Fn key

• Panasonic-like indicator is ready and works stable. Soon packed firmware will be available.

• In 2018, when the e2 was presented, z-cam still lacked the license for a codec. However, it was hidden in an update in mid-2018 and could be activated by pressing 2 buttons at the same time until it was switched off. jason cheng did the same at least 2 times.

because at the beginning a freeze often happened if someone remembers it, which keys are the real ones? it could be helpful because humans ... also jason is a habit animal

every programmer builds back doors you can't help but think you are more intelligent than the rest ... or lazy

• I've found a stable way to make changes in firmware files for E2

Great news!

If they all use HiSilicon it can be biggest tragedy of amazing small camera company.

Hope not :-/

• @Vitaliy...usually people want to hack cheap cameras, obviously since there's a risk.

• @kurth and @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I hope, when I make some patches, I'll be able to make a GoPro Cineform RAW codec port for all Z-CAM E2 modifications. It will bring nice compressed RAW to users.

But it won't be soon.

• @kurth

They are now busy with other things.

And E2c differs from E2 in much more than firmware, sensor is different and more.

• I agree with @zcream. Hack e2c into an e2. Then you'll get their attention.

• First Z-CAM E2 mod for 0.93 firmware is coming soon!

It's Panasonic-like recording indicator (red rectangle on HDMI output).

P1030148_00000.jpg
    1152 x 864 - 243K
    P1030148_00001.jpg
    1152 x 864 - 217K
  • @storyboardcreativity

It is special things to read BGA NAND chips, they are used by people who restore dead SSDs, flash drives and such.

I mean, in case of total big issues and for dumping encrypted stuff.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Did not try yet (and don't want :D).

But I'm sure, recovery will still work (except some special firmware versions with new recovery in firmware file, like 0.96).

• @storyboardcreativity

What will be if issue happen during flashing, like power loss?

• Recovery mode in E2:

1. Place firmware file on your SSD (with current firmware version on your camera now)
    2. Connect SSD to camera
    3. Hold power button and record button

Result - camera will reflash it's own firmware

This was very useful for me when I've bricked my camera after wrong firmware modifications

• So BRAW :-))))))