Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic GH2 - Driftwood Settings Wont Work For Me?
  • Hello,

I'm knew here and I really like this place. My name is Deniz and im from The Netherlands I just bought a Panasonic GH2 With 14-42 Kit lens and a Voigtlander 25mm 0.95. This is my first ever device that I take photo's and video's with, so im I'm pretty new to THIS? So... first day i hacked my GH2

Steps:

Downloaded ptool3d.zip Downloaded GH2__V11.exe Downloaded Driftwood Quantum X Make New Map Name ''Hack'' Extract ptool3d.zip to ''Hack'' Double Click GH2__V11.exe And install in ''Hack''

In ''Hack'' Map:

Open ptool3d.exe Load GH2__V11.bin Load Driftwood Quantum X Save Settings... Name it GH2__V12.bin

In the mean time:

I changed my settings to

Creative Mode>24P Cinema Film Mode> Smooth Rec Quality>24H Exposure Mode>M

BTW my SD Card is: Sandisk 95MB/s 32GB SD Card Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I

I formatted my sd card in my camera. Then I loaded the GH2__V12.bin on my sd card. Turned my camera on, and pressed the play preview button. It asked me for update firmware I clicked YES. It was finished then I rebooted.

Here what happens:

I record for 1 or 2 minutes. then put sd card in computer i click on the .mts icon it says on the bottom: Data Rate:54435kbps Total Bitrate:54691kbps

Sometimes its 34246kbps

Shouldn't this be much more? I tried different settings & patches same result also with 720p60 That's actually the simple question I just tried to explain everything I know about this camera and my problem with this camera

and am I to newbie for this forum? Or is this place oke for starters from scratch?

I hope you guys can help.

• 13 Replies sorted by
  • I'm pretty sure that patch is a variable bitrate, meaning it scales the bitrate up depending on the complexity of the scene and stress on the encoder. If it was just a basic shot, then that bitrate makes sense.

At least that's my understanding of it.

• make sure you have newest ptool. build 200212 next to title. It has updated twice since intial 3.64 release. Also make sure you have quantum x v2.

The bitrate will vary a little but should be higher. I think you have mismatched versions.

• Hey,

Thanks for your fast reply

So it was not a problem de lens was just not under stress?

Thanks

• Hey,

I have everything up to date just checked but I'm going to re-download everything just in case.

• Yeah sure, the more detail the more bitrate. So try a more stressful scene.

• I was going to live and let live but since this thread was started then I'll mention that I too have been hovering around 56 to 60 Mbps in well lit scenes. In darker scenes the bit rate jumps up to 60 - 70+ (or there abouts) but mainly stays lower than that. I'm as baffled by it as @Ginji

• Agree with Ian - and the problem for me with variable bit-rates is that I rarely find them using the correct bit-rates when low color / low detail scenes are being filmed.

For instance if you film a close up head shot of an actor or actress with a telephoto lens and the background is a solid color or dark, the bit-rate dumps and skin tone goes to hell and the shadows plug up.

A landscape scene with lots of foreground and buildings and movement would have no trouble. So right now shooting with a low variable bit-rate and actors is frustrating (using Quantum Xv2).

I have gone back to Quantum 9b for videos with people in them.

• Quantum Orion will give you back CBR style Quantum 9b.

• Sounds great!

• :) - awesome!

• @ginji I had similar issues before and after I fixed an error in my hack setup, you might want to look at this thread, especially the comment from Keith. http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/42777#Comment_42777

• @driftwood orion will give us something similar to quantum 9b?? or will be the best image quality of all?? cant wait,..he he

• @Wildlark i hope thats the problem then.... but ill wait for the Quantum Orion sounds cooler:D