Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Hacked GF2 footage topic
  • 146 Replies sorted by
  • @itscehris good quality, but too shaky at 50mm

GF2 is great for it's size. I rock @pvdog on mine and love it. The biggest problem is image stabilization. If you mount it on a tripod, use a stabilizer/shoulder rig, or a bulky OIS zoom, might as well do it with GH2.

The only viable option is 14mm (wide and tiny = less shaky) and a neck strap. I wish Panny had IBIS in these.

• Had a friend at work (graphic designer) show me some photos she took, borrowing my soft box to do so, on a Sony a55 she was testing out, granted the a55 is not a bad still camera..

I started critiquing them.. She was in full auto mode wit the kit lens, so I mentioned the lens has as much if not more to do with the image as the body.. she was kind of shocked when I said the kit lens was pretty poor.. I then showed her some stills from the GF2 with a fast 1.4 50mm.. she was dumbfounded when I told her that was a sub $250 dollar camera and a 30 year old $50 ebay used lens .. Then I showed her some video from the same setup.... She is saving her pennies now :)

Really these cameras for regular or even upper shelf consumers are great.. thus the target of them from Pani , but when you show some one footage or images that blow there socks of it feels so dang good to say, yeah couple hundred bucks can get you that, if your willing to take some time to learn about manual prime lenses. Sadly most people don't want to learn these days they want to spend huge dollar to have the camera do everything for them and turn out good quality.. but when you get some one that's in that mind set to shift the fact that photography or videogaphy isn't just the hardware and is more operation and skill it s a good thing.

This person paid $150 for a sitting with a "pro child photographer" for her kid, she said my still shots on the GF2 were better.. and asked to have me reshoot her shots. I said better yet , take the money and buy a camera and I'll show you how to use it.. As I said she is saving her pennies. :) Teach a man to fish I say.

• @ssh use the neck strap from the box. Use your neck to stabilize shots. But... 50mm would be difficult. 25mm works nice with the neck strap.

• gf2-strap.jpg
    997 x 869 - 146K
  • Has anyone determined the highest practical bitrate that will play back in camera on the GF2 (and presumably the GF3 as well)? I've tried several patches, including my own, and haven't yet found one that plays back.

• @pdlumina are these settings for NTSC only or ? in comments you name GF2 1080i60 ?

• @LPowell I use Cake 2.1 on GF2 without any problems , probably it's "highest" and stable and spanning, plus playback.

• @ssh Yeap you got it.

• @LPowell

From what I've tried, the following plays back on GF2 - 1080i60 - SanDisk Extreme 32GB 45MB/s:

@Ralph_B Sanity v5 @ 21Mbps (lower light/detail scene)

@LPowell 's Flow Motion v1.11 @ lower 30Mbps

@balazer 's Cake v2.2@ upper 40Mbps

@pvdog 's @ upper 40Mbps

@driftwood 's

Mysteron Burst @ 61Mbps (lower light/detail scene)

Mysteron Standard @ lower 80Mbps

Sedna AQ1 "C" @ upper 80Mbps

Orion v4b @ ~ 90Mbps

EDITS: adding stuff as I test it

FlowMotion1.11-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 52K
    Cake2.2-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 52K
    pvdog-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 52K
    MysteronStandard-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 55K
    SednaAQ1-C-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 52K
    MysteronBurst-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 48K
    Sanity5-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 46K
    Orion_v4b-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 55K
  • @ebacherville That's a really nice story and it's kind of motivation on my activities. I'm not very deep into this whole photography and videography thing. I'm new to it and just getting into it learning every day.

My search for a neat nice little compact camera that at the same delivers "high quality" (whatever this might be) was successful: I guess for now it will be a GF2 with 20mm f1.7 pancake. Those are now here right in front of me playing around with them and will try to learn how to shoot videos and stills. I also own an older Canon FD 50mm 1.4 lense and will be playing around with some cheap CCTV lenses (25mm 1.4 and the Fujian 35mm 1,7). I guess this should fit the most of my needs.

Cheers Jens

• @LPowell balazers cake 2.3 even on a 16gb lexar professional (slow card that I use to load the patch) plays back in cam, spans in highest bitrate, I think it was 55MB. Normally I use sandisk Extreme 32GB.

@stonebat what I use to stabilize the gf2 and it really helps even if you use the x 3.1 ETC mode in 720p with 20mm panny is a gorillapod, hold the three legs together as a pistol grip. Good also for doc situations, than you can quickly install it wherever you want. Andy Portch described that too when he went undercover with the GH2 to Tibet.

• @gameb which gorillapod?

• @gameb I already have a tripod for 24x7. GorillaPod Micro 250 :)

It's so tiny that it's always attached to the camera. It takes a few secs to make it stand.

20120419-P1050726.jpg
    960 x 720 - 164K
  • @ssh like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flexible-Tripod-Gorillapod-DV-video-camera-/310316779807?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item484052491f#ht_2677wt_1216 there are all different sizes, the one that I use is about 20cm high. But there are millions out there. Very useful for the gf2 anyway, you can install it as a B-cam somewhere

• @MountainKing, if your learning a fast old school manual lens like a 50 1.4 is great (I'd say a must), helps you learn what the camera is doing and responds to manual adjustments with a auto lens. the 20mm 1.7 is a nice lens.. Love mine.. As for my photography skills, I don't consider myself a photographer but, video is just 24 photos a second so it all carries over. some of the CCTV lenses are cool for what they can do for so little money but also accentuate flaws, but I can tell you I use CCTV lenses in productions all the time, they are fast and cheap and most will make good video in the customers opinion , my CCTV lenses are mainly wide fast lenses or fast parafocals. I have really embraced shooting in low light with no added lighting. some of those CCTV lenses just blow away everything else in this shooting this style. It great to be able to walk into any building and start shooting great video with out nothing other than a camera, tripod, and maybe a small slider and a fast lens.. Exetele for CCTC lenses has issues with noise if your in dark conditions but solutions like Neat video correct these very well. My favorite CCTV lens is the Tamron 4-12mm F1.2 I use that thing so often its crazy , for $80 and a easy mod its a must have lens in my book.

• @gameb, under $4.. and $3 shipping.. wow, nice find.. ordering a few of them.. in retail outlets those go for $20 each

• Thanks @Rambo @gameb @stonebat for your suggestions, bought it all. That 26 gram micro tripod looks like it would add the least bulk to a GF2. Does it hold GF2+25mm OK? Argh, getting OT yet again...

IMG_223018.jpg
    500 x 154 - 50K
  • On a flat surface, the gorilla micro tripod would hold GF2 + Leica DG 25mm 1.4. But on an angled surface, I would hold the leg. I use it just for stabilizing the shot. Usually I don't leave it unattended.

I took this 2s shutter speed photo just before heading home. It could've been longer... if I had carried ND filter. It took less than a min to get the camera out, set it up, take the pic, and put the camera into a bag.

20120412-P1020666.jpg
    960 x 720 - 253K
  • no pixelation is always welcome.

AVC1080i60.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    MJPEG720HBR1.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
  • @ stonebat, star filter I assume on those shots? @pdlumina, great shots, smoke and light is always amazing.

I'm going to go to cake 2.3 this weekend (that patch has been moving so fast lately) and do some testing.. My NEX 5n body comes in tomorrow also.. Can't wait to mess with that body in comparison. Got it specifically for 60p 1080 for slower motion shots. with the GoPro announcements I might pick up a GoPro.. So much new great stuff happening in (low buck) video world!

• GF2, Gorillapod, Panny 20mm, ND Fader, Carry Speed Viewfinder, Olympus LS10

Gorilla1.jpg
    960 x 540 - 110K
    Gorilla2.jpg
    960 x 540 - 117K
  • @Ebacherville No star filter… whatever that is. Some lenses produce such star shaped lens flare from high aperture like f/14 and slow-shutter settings. E.g. 20mm 1.7, 25mm 0.95

• interesting , never noticed that on my 20mm.. then again not a photo guy and don't do 2sec exposures.. BTW this is a star filter.. makes stars on high lights , just like in your photo but you can control the star effect rotate them and or have different filters for the number of points you want.. http://www.amazon.com/NEEWER%C2%AE-52MM-8-Point-Twinkle-Filter/dp/B004265KQM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334930285&sr=8-2

• @gameb, how do you like the viewfinder? debating on getting one , don't know if i should go for the more expensive LCDVF or the cheaper ones.. I'd prefer cheaper ones if they are good enough.