Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 1: v3b Rocket - v4b Orion - v5 β Pictoris
  • 1019 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood , great news, does now the Pictoris works with HBR 25p mode ? Stable ?

• Hi Driftwood Thanks so much for your work. I´ve been away for sometime, and now it is hard to be updated. I Shoot 25p (Pal land) As i think Pictoris is the best option for me... but i feel lost about having so many options.. Wich is the best matrix i should have? orion...hybrid..? what are the diferences?.. i´m interested about latitude (like everyone i guess) and reliability Thanks! f.

• Just bought a Panny 45-175 X Lens looks cheap as chips (which it was) but I love the power Zoom... initial impressions - it goes hunting a lot! Trying it out on v5 β Pictoris now :-)

@Fulgencio Try them both - it won't take you long. You may want to opt for constant bitrate (CBR versions) of said settings (we don't call them patches anymore)

• @driftwood Thanks for the insight driftwood. I will keep watching this space until I go filming. Thanks again for your great work. My macbook is struggling at the mo with all the footage I took on holiday using Quantum v7 and 9vb but I think I just need to clear my harddrive as its not very organised and is nearly full or just stick in a new 750gb 7200rpm. Should do the trick.

• @Joshua_Cadmium

Hmmm. No actually I wouldn't. I like using the black diff 3 a lot now. The only thing I really want to do is get my hands on a 2 but that's about it.

Driftwood is right, picture profiles/film modes is like the last hurdle. Once that or IF that opens up things will probably change again. I know I want a profile that's specifically for daylight shooting and one for night.

RIght now, that means Cinema for well exposed setups, and then standard for everything else.

• @driftwood Thanks for all the work! I've shot some tests with Pictoris, trying to see the difference between the Orion matrix and the hybrid matrix, but I can see very little variance. Are there certain conditions or subject matter that would make the differences more obvious?

• @royadkins Hybrid should be a little more leaning towards the higher luminance side of the Panasonic GH2 matrix, very subtle but its an attempt to bring Sharpeness back to 0 as the starting point! I didn't want to bring back degradated sky issue... so its slight. I'll keep pushing things dont worry.

• For those who want to see a totally flat matrix, you can enter in hex values for scaling tables i, P, B with every number at 16, as in;-

16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 etc... (enter 48 entries of 16 basically)

Remember to insert the HEX values of 16!!!!

• @Driftwood. Nick, I am interested to know about your impression of the new 45-175 power lens you just purchased after you have tested it. I am thinking about buying one but your evaluation of it will go a long way towards my decision to spend the money. Cheers.

• @Zaven13 You know, I really love the action of the Panny 45-175 X Lens Power Zoom - simple... smooth - brings you Camcorder style control - definitely the future for HDSLR video freaks. And its fucking Quiet. Just not so sure about the quality of the glass... I'm gonna give it a big test tomorrow and throw up some footage in the lens section.

For any Brighton based GH2/Gxx Lumix users, the Panasonic Brighton Store manager personally brought them over from Germany yesterday and he has a few of each left in stock... Hurry! ;-)

PS He brought me back a lovely lill' gift - a Lumix camera keyring! A MUST have ;-)

Oh go on then, here's a quick hand-held demo of the zoom out!!!!

45175.png
    768 x 576 - 652K
  • @Driftwood pls compare sete.ini and seti.ini in "Driftwood Quantum X v5c 'ß Pictoris' CBR-VBR - Orion matrix pack.zip", they are identical

• @oleg2k I'll take a look. UPDATE: No its right, v5b settings are set-D (CBR) & set-H (VBR) are with the hybrid Panasonic GH2 meets Orion matrix. The v5c settings which are set-E (CBR) and set-I (VBR) is the Orion only matrix. Just download both packs and u cant go wrong! ;-)

I've purposefully flattened (all 16s as in 0x1010s) the scaling Ps and scaling Bs as theyre not used by my settings in 24p (Intra i frame only), notice scaling Ps are on for 1080i/HBR and all three are on for 720p scaling tables. Don't worry - its all ok!

With the Hybrid Ive left all the correct scaled tables in place (even though Intra 24p won't use them, and 1080i will only use i-frames and P-frames, 720p all 3 get used) in case any of you want to borrow 'em!

Get your head around that lot and stay cool!!!! phew.

• @driftwood

Thank you, this is fucking good, no words ...

• @feha Hey, nice demo, thanks mate.

• @driftwood i mean [Information] sections differs, but [Settings] sections are identical

• As in Q to AQ yep well spotted, Ill upload set-i again. Well done to @oleg2k excellent spotting. I guess youre the first guy to try set-i then! ;-)

Q-corrected for the VBR version - Driftwood Quantum X v5c 'ß Pictoris' CBR-VBR - Orion matrix pack.zip
  • So I went ahead and loaded your new hybrid matrix straight into Orion and did a quick test. Unfortunately I am waiting my Sandisk card to be sent back from a producer out of state so I had to use my back up Transend card (I know I need to buy some more cards) so it only records for about 30 seconds before write error is displayed. From what it looks like the new matrix seems to be a in between, it is sharper than the Orion matrix and softer than the stock Panny matrix. I will hold my tongue till I do some real world testing but I like what I see so far.

• @Reckless apologies for this multi comment thing going on but p-v is taking an age to update over here... Ok I understand, you loaded it INTO Orion setting. Should be good to go.

• @Reckless I tested on my Transcend 32Gb and got spanning... strange world we live in...

• I mean the full 154mbps version not the 50/75mbps.

• @driftwood ,correct, no worries.

• @driftwood How does the new Pictoris 75mbps compare to the Orion 4b 24L setting? Very curious to find out. Orion 4b lasts 40 - 50 seconds on my Transcend, forever on my Sandisk 64GB and the 24L setting is spanning. So what would be the reason for me to start using Pictoris? Might use the L setting for my 4 week India trip to save on cardspace. A vbr setting might be even better for that. Can you combine CBR and VBR in one setting :) I think I am asking too much now <:->

• Guys, not one of you have commented on the 720p settings and HBR modes. Spent an age on 720....!

• so far I'm having to pull the battery on 720 every time...

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions