Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 1: v3b Rocket - v4b Orion - v5 β Pictoris
  • 1019 Replies sorted by
  • @mhun - Sorry to say, but pulling the gf 2 out in a professional setting where you have a client or more isn't really going to impress unless you have it in a rig or cage with rails, MB, monitor etc. unless you're using it as a crash cam or something to have inside a medicine cabinet for a reveal shot, no one that is paying you is going to take it too seriously. Yeah, the footage can look great, but it's not something that I would pull out on set and start shooting with as an A camera.

• @rockroadpix Let the client pay in advance :) problem solved. It is about the footage. But you are right, GF2 might be pushing it, GH2 is fine.

• Every client that I've had has shown up with elevated expectations. That covers the full gamut from Proctor and Gamble/ Reckitt Benckiser down to the regional/local business doing some web stuff. Every professional on here knows that selling the GH2 to a client isn't very easy. That goes even when it's up against a 5D. @sohus- but I like your style! :D

• @rockroadpix, agreed. i shoot mostly documentaries mixing photos and videos, with a very small team and low footprint, sometimes in places not that safe (and generally in places where rig/cage/ect are not welcomed or possible). My A camera is 5dMII + monitor, but looking for a very light/cheap backup camera that indeed can act as also as crash cam/cabinet/experimental projects, etc, but something that gives files good enough so I can incorporate in the 5d footage at times, anyone did that around here, anything to show? Initially bought the Gf2 as a photo backup for my M9 (using same lenses), and was lately hoping (dreaming??) it could act as a video backup as well. I'll see what I can pull out of it and let you know. Files that I have seen going around this post, with the hacks, let me think this is possible but we need to get rid of automatic adjustments, in other things.

• Thus the need for a dummy shell for these cameras...heck you could sell hx9v footage if it were graded and lit properly!

• @mhun - For that, I believe that it is definitely possible.

• I shoot documentary and the size of the GH2 is a big advantage. Very unobtrusive to the interviewee, and when shooting at public locations. They take me for a tourist, not a documentary filmmaker. I love that.

I used to shoot with XL-H1 but this is so much better.

• @driftwood Hi there, a quick question regarding V3 Rocket for GF2 - the earlier settings (v2) was FH/H=36000000 and now 72000000.

If I just want 44000000 or 36000000 maximum as it suits my requirement.. would it be okay, I mean is it going to be compatible with your matrix. Thanks in advance.

• I just want to say WOW. Vitaliy and Nick - Panasonic should pay both of you to re-write the matrices for the AF-100 and the AF-X00 if one ever comes out. This is on a different level than anything under 15k$ and compares in some ways with that you can get from a 60k or 80k camera.

• Screenshots from v5 β Pictoris (Baby Quantum) 70M, coming soon... :-)

24p Nostalgic -2, 0, -2, -2, Panasonic 7-14mm Lens

Shot 1: Straight out of camera

Shot 2: Over Exposed +0.95. Deliberately overblown.

Shot 3: Coloured

Screen shot 2012-02-29 at 18.22.31.png
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
    Grade - Over Exposure +0.95 - Screen shot 2012-02-29 at 18.22.31.png
    2560 x 1440 - 3M
    Coloured - 2012-02-29 at 18.22.31.png
    2560 x 1440 - 3M
  • hmmm, id love to see that first shot with crumplepop's tonegrade...i think that would look fantastic, and really make the details snap without losing the nuance of the hair for example or the darker areas under the bridge. That looks nice!

• @nick- that is flipping great looking!

• @driftwood

WTF ...That looks outstanding!

• @driftwood Why are these 2560x1440? Are the a screen display scaled up from 1920x1080?

• My monitor is that size! (fullscreen scrabs on Movist)

• Another frame grab and a 1/2 bottle to go! Thanks again

• @driftwood not to take you away from your tireless work (much appreciated though), I have a question about "SpanMYBitchUp", I noticed you didn't do anything with the Auto Quantizers for either 1080 or 720. Did you do that to make the patch stable? Just wondering, before I get home and try it myself.

Salud!

• @driftwood- an obvious and terrible teal/orange version. Sorry couldn't resist, hope you don't mind ;P

Quality is awesome BTW! Can't wait...!

20253821f1aa618c5f618c45b8958eTeal.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • @lunalobo75 I havent tested AQs on it, as my intent was spanning and VBR style constant Q.

• @rockroadpix @sohus @mhun Even though my productions tend to have enough gear to offset any GH2 client doubt, my strategy is almost always to preempt the question by talking about the camera before they do.

"Isn't it ridiculous that we're getting cinematic quality HD footage from this tiny-little camera?"

Having a client monitor on set is another good way of dealing with this kind of issue.

• Am I the only one here who prefer Quantum X Rocket v2?

• my thought on it ;) incredible Mr Driftwood!

Bild1.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
  • @cinemon, looks great. What grain are you using there?

• @Oedipax thx. for this i used grain in magic bullet looks.

• @driftwood Test results for Quantum X 4b Orion with SanDisk 64 GB 95 MB/s, using a death chart and a Canon 50 mm ƒ1.4 S.S.C. lens stopped at ƒ5.6. The camera is originally NTSC. Card erased in camera after each test. All tests are AVCHD.

Changes to the original settings:
    PAL <-> NTSC deselected
    30 min removal deselected
    All languages deselected

Profile: Smooth -2 0 0 -2

• 24H 1/50 ISO 800 — spanned
    • 24H Ext Tele 1/50 ISO 800 — spanned
    • Vari 80% 1/60 ISO 1000 — recording stopped after about 8 seconds. No lockup. Plays back in camera
    • Vari 80% Ext Tele 1/50 ISO 800 — recording stopped after 7 seconds. No lockup. Plays back in camera
    • HBR (NTSC) 1/60 ISO 1000 — “Motion recording was canceled . . .” after approximately 4 minutes. Lockup. MTS file 0 bytes.*
    • HBR (NTSC) Ext Tele 1/50 ISO 800 — “Motion recording was canceled . . .” after approximately 4 minutes. Lockup. MTS file 0 bytes.*
    • 720p (NTSC) 1/125 ISO 2000 — spanned (video stream bit rate 53.3 mbps according to MediaInfo)
    • 720p (NTSC) Ext Tele 1/125 ISO 500 — “Motion recording was canceled . . .” after a few seconds. Lockup. MTS file of 0 bytes.

*Waved my hand in front of the lens. The lockup coincided with the waving.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions