Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
17.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander topic
  • 205 Replies sorted by
  • Got mine last night. Very tight mount. Since it has deeper DOF than Nokton 25mm, the max aperture seems quite useful.

Long throw between 15cm and 1m focus scale. 1cm short throw between 1m and infinity focus scale where Nokton 25mm has 1.5cm throw between 2m and infinity focus scale.

The clickless aperture locking ring works like a limiter on max clickless aperture value. E.g. Clickless aperture from 0.95 to 1.4.

Yes I like 17.5mm focal length on M43. A standing portrait is possible at 5m away.

20120501-P1020810.jpg
    960 x 408 - 150K
    20120503-P1020857.jpg
    960 x 720 - 366K
    20120504-P1020885.jpg
    960 x 720 - 408K
  • Thanks Stonebat! I DO feel very lucky in all ways. Have a nice weekend.

• And now I have to find a follow focus that works for for the 17.5 and the 25mm pana (the latter I might sell) FYI - The above still is photo # 1 from the 17.5. I will try to cut together some video and put it up. I'm slow moving. Bye

• It's a beauty. I just received the lens (from Steven Gandy) and it's beautiful. Perfectly calibrated lens marks, close focus, smooth focus, long throw. Very much like a zeiss superspeed in build quality. I'm not sure how it will cut with my pana/leica 25mm, but we'll see if I ever cut something;). Here's an ungraded still I dug up from the garden.

spring.JPG
    4608 x 3456 - 2M
  • I asked around. Yes Nokton 17.5mm and 25mm have the same t-value.

• Just food for thought.

For me a dedicated m43 17.5mm is just 17.5mm.

A "cropped" sensor was termed when companies like Canon/Nikon introduced their APS-C bodies that cropped images projected from their FF lenses.

There is no m43 lens whose projected images on m43 sensor get cropped. Thus M43 is not a cropped system when using m43 mount lenses.

Simply the Nokton 17.5mm 0.95 has FOV angle of 64.6 degrees at 4:3 and 69 degrees at 16:9 on GH1/2.

• Could someone clarify the statement in the spec sheet: "35mm corresponding to small picture."

Does this mean it has the same FOV as a 35mm full frame? What is the small picture?

• @stonebat I don't have the 25mm, sorry

• @Alex, if you have 25mm 0.95 and 17.5mm 0.95, can you please run this test?

At same aperture setting, do they give same EV reading on GH2?

If they do, they must have same t value.

• For some european residents (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland and maybe others) who understand enough french to order a product on a website (or knows how to google translate), this (perfectly safe) web site has a few in stock at 1150€ :

http://www.lapetiteboutiquephoto.com/boutique/fiche_produit.cfm?ref=PBP011VC50NOCT17-095&type=143&code_lg=lg_fr&num=3

• +1. The guy is awesome.

• @stonebat Gunther knows how to shoot.

• Try it at night. Nokton shines at night like this. I found this awesome work from Vimeo. Excessive CA is prolly from Canon 55mm 1.2 FL.

• @Alex Just to be clear, you are not referring to the coma that the lens itself produces, right? Almost all super-fast lenses have coma wide-open, though the Noctilux allegedly has much less than the Nokton (as does one of the rarer Nikons, but it isn't quite as fast).

Just wanted to rule that out before you went looking for a sensor based solution.

• Congrats!!

• got the 17.5 0.95. Trying to get used to shoot with such a fast aperture. Build quality is superb, focusing very smooth. If only the GH2 had more dynamic range. Every dim street light punches a white howl in the footage ...

• Sorry didn't see that post. Actually I mentioned to the price on the ebay link.

• @au8ust

Quite strange approach as message above clearly has "Preorder price is $1249. Free shipping." text.

• Did some searches and found http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1041&message=41174702&changemode=1 said "The price of the 17mm.95 is $1249 USD. "

The price should be more stable in June or so.

• @au8ust. I think that this is the actual retail price in Germany.It says it on the website as well. Not sure if the prices vary across Europe.

• In France (and I assume in Europe) the retail price should be 1150€ (1500 USD). I think this seller (and many other before him) just wants to make a few more bucks out of rarity.

• @Tobsen It seems to be expensive because the seller is in Germany or that is a retail price?

• @HillTop1 yup, your paying for the f0.95 and the great resolution for photography. If you shoot a lot of low light video, then I'd get it because as we all know the GH2 is not king of high iso.