Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
17.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander topic
  • 205 Replies sorted by
  • Congrats. It's sharper than 25mm 0.95, but not really easy to focus at max aperture. I use the body's screen magnification feature. Varavon loupe sounds nice.

For being able to blur the background for full body shot, I think it's worth. Yes this lens inherits all the good things from 25mm 0.95. Max magnification ratio is 0.4. Nice flare starting at f/2.8 and max at f/11. Tack sharp at f/2.8. Very nice color rendition.

• Just unboxed this beauty on the 25th! Very excited to start using it - my first serious investment in glass! is it foolhardy to use without a monitor? Am quite used to focusing through my varavon loupe, is this a viable approach with a wide open 17.5?

• I bought mine from Mainline too. They are the Australian distributor for Voigtlander. Their prices seem to be the best I've seen anywhere. Took about two weeks until new stock came in. The 25mm is also well priced @ $895.00 AUD.

• Amazing lens, definitely my favorite. Ordered mine from Mainline in AU as well - just keep in mind of exchange rates and backlog wait. I waited about 3 months from placing the order till it was at my doorstep in the US but completely worth it!!

• Yeah, I couldn't believe my eyes, usually in austraila we have to pay through the teeth. Fingers crossed, I should have it in my hands today :)

• Good price!

• 1000 $ - it is the price of 17 0.95 ?

• congratulations. :)

• I just ordered mine yesterday, for a $1000 AU brand new. I should have it in my hands next Monday :)

• Okay, so I've been playing with this lens for about a week now, and now I'm officially addicted to F0.95. I'm amazed how sharp they got it at that aperture while still retaining decent contrast. The soft edges and vignetting are there, but honestly, it doesn't bother me. If I want sharp everywhere, I can just stop down to F2.0. With the BMCC and GH3, it'll crop some of the edges anyways (in 16:9). I haven't tested it for field curvature yet, but I don't think it'll be a huge problem if I just focus somewhere between the center and edge of the image.

The focus ring has a long throw and makes focusing at F0.95 a breeze. The lens feels so tough and the ability to choose between clickless aperture and clicked is very useful for me since I take photos and video. I'm loving the focal length, but that's personal preference. For social gatherings, it's nice to be a bit wider to get that extra person in the shot. 25mm would be a tad bit too tight for me, especially on a GH3 with its 2.1x crop factor in 16:9. On the BMCC, the 17.5mm will be a perfect normal lens for me.

I haven't tried it yet, but I feel the focus ring may be a bit too stiff for my follow focus gears. I'll have to check out some better gears for it.

I got it used in Korea for about $1,000 in practically unused condition, and it's been worth every penny (I mean won).

• I don't know the diameter if the lens, but these might work: http://www.cinevate.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=156

• What lens gear are you using for this lens? Gears from my previous set does not fit 100%. I need to put silicon band between lens and gear to make it fit but it's not best solution because it's so soft.

I don't like those rubber gears. I want it to be hard plastic or metal.

• @mintcheerios

you won't be disappointed

• Just ordered this lens. Most expensive and fastest lens I ever bought.

• Hey check out our feature film currently in production. Shot on GH2, Sedna hack, 17.5 Voigtlander + 50mm canon. Mostly the Nokton though.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Who-Needs-Enemies/130412530440147

Teaser out soon

• Thank you! It was completely unclear intuitively without your explanation.

• pull the aperture towards you, it's kinda hard to do, don't be afraid of breaking it, it's built like a tank

pull and twist, it should "lock in" and stay "de clicked" if you pull and it's not locking in position, keep messing with it

• I need your help. Shame on me, I can't find the way how to de-click aperture on this lens. I use it about month. It came without operation manual.

• @beeldlab nicely done. i like the 1st person point of view. yeap i need a nice vacation, too.

• Almost completely done with Voigtländer 17.5mm. Nearly fully open all the time.