Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 Cake v2.3: reliability and spanning in 720p, HBR, 24p, and VMM at 2-2.5x stock bit rates
  • 609 Replies sorted by
  • It just stopped? No error? Or were you not looking at the screen when it stopped?

I wasn't looking. I was doing a performance. Set the camera to record before starting and when I was done it was in sleep mode.

Average bitrate is 42.5 Mb/s.

I'll give it some more testing. Might just revert to 24H/L for 1080p work.

• It just stopped? No error? Or were you not looking at the screen when it stopped? What was the average bit rate of the recording? Have you tried a different card? I haven't had any problems in HBR mode with the settings. If anything, the problem with HBR 30p mode is that it is easy to make the camera lock up.

I don't have any 64-GB cards or any 45 MB/s cards, so I'm not sure if those are factors. My cards are 30 MB/s and 95 MB/s. The 95 MB/s cards are the fastest cards in the GH2, and I definitely recommend them if you are needing the highest reliability or are running into problems.

Try a different card. There are differences between cards that really matter (even cards of the same type), and can contribute to write failures and spanning failures. For that card, the only thing I can suggest is to use the SD Card Association SD Formatter utility with the format type option set to Full-erase or Full-overwrite. Do that two or three times. Yes, it actually makes a difference. My most used card, which had been used for literally thousands of test recordings, started giving me spanning failures, and this utility brought it back to life. One formatting wasn't enough - that only fixed the problem temporarily.

Otherwise, the only thing I would know how to do to is to lower the bit rate - something I'm not going to do given the quality constraints of HBR mode and the reliability I've observed so far in HBR mode.

• Hey, I've been happily using Cake2.2 in 720p60 SH mode for a while. Working great. Then I tried HBR 30p once and it stopped recording after 7 minutes, at 2.2GB so not even at spanning point. Manual focus, ISO 4000, shutter speed 40 (yeah I was recording light rays in mist in the dark...). Sandisk Extreme 64GB 45MB/s card.

• The settings shouldn't affect autofocus behavior. I've never observed autofocus behaving differently.

• For amusement, my friends and I shoot multicam coverage of local bands playing at my local bar. This week on my GH2, I used Cake 2.2 and last month I used Cake 1.2. I am very impressed with both, especially the low-light capabilities and handling the extreme colours in LED rock lighting, but I have what is probably a real noob question. Do these hacks in any way affect the autofocus function? I only ask because this week I noticed a hell of a lot of hunting and it seemed to take much longer in general to find focus than last month – with similar to identical lighting,ISO etc? Obviously I could shoot manual focus, but in general I used to like the way auto function worked on the GH2. The only difference in camera set up was last month I shot 24p Cinema and this month 25p HBR. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

• @kazuo, I didn't set the pan correctly before exporting the video to Vimeo. Thanks!

• @luxis, I used the Sandisk 95mbps extreme card.

• @balazer, great, thank you. So it means no impact in motion, panning ... I use Cake now in both, GF2 and GH2. Thank you for your great work.

• @frerichs nice one! i cannot tell the difference between the two. but i sure can in the price of the two cameras ; ) btw, what card did you use in the gh2?

• I am shooting with Cake 2.3b3 24L since a few days, doc stuff, everything looks great, very happy, thanks balazer

• In not using B-frames, I lose some efficiency, but gain frame-to-frame consistency. Also, it's a recipe that's proven stable in all of the different modes, particularly in HBR.

• @balazer , I'm now testing Cake 2.3b, however I'm just curious why B‑frames are left out ? I'm not an expert in codecs, does this have any impact in motion, panning etc ? I like Cake :-)

• hey @frerichs moving testimony, but why is her voice in mono?

• Used Cake v2.2 and it worked flawlessly. I let the interview roll for over an hour with no issues spanning and in post I did literally next to nothing to match the GH2 and AF100 footage. Truly a piece of cake!

For the GH2s, Voigtlander 25mm f/.095 and LOMO OKC1-50-1 2/50mm lenses using 24H, Vibrant -2 -2 -1 -2, ISO 200 and K3200 for white balance.

The AF100, using Olympus 14-35 f/2.0 lens and a profile to match the GH2s as following (ISO 200, K3200):

1080/24P Detail Level -4 V Detail Level -1 Detail Corning -4 Chroma Level +2 Chroma Phase -3 Master Ped -5 DRS Off Gama Cine-Like D Matrix Fluo

Edited with FinalCut Pro7

The GH2 camera angles and her right side wasn't lit well, but it's a no budget on the fly production ;-)

• yep right there

• I will investigate. I did notice a possible auto white balance issue around 1 minute. I'll need to remember not to use auto. Do you mean on the brown boxes as the kid steps away from them?

*It does look like there's some dithering on the boxes in the original file

• i see a little issues with the dark yellow boxes around 1"38 ...is this the same in the original file or youtube artifacts? oh and i see later cake filming cakes ; )

• this is my cake 2.3b3 test

• Downloaded Classic Home Cinema and it and 24L clips play fine. Something weird with Microsoft Media Player.

The clips look great, I cant tell any difference really from the 24h. Maybe in low light/high ISO?

Thanks again!

• I can't say anything about playback in Windows Media Player without knowing what DirectShow filters were in use. I use Media Player Classic Home Cinema, and its built-in filters work fine, as does ffdshow-tryouts.

• @balazer I ran a test on 2.3 b3 with both 24h & 24L modes. They both spanned fine the entire card. I have a question though - On 24L the first clip played fine in Windows media player but the rest of the clips only showed black screen and no sound. When I put it on my editor it plays fine. 24H did not have this issue.

24H- Avg 64m/s 24L- Avg 49m/s

Both were on a static detailed scene.

• Adventsam, Cake does not use B-frames.

• Just tried Cake 2.3b3. I only tried a quick timelapse to test spanning. It worked fine but the final bitrate of the file was around 28mbit. Im guessing that was caused by the nature of the scene with its low contrasts and still scene. Remaining time was still being show for 70 mbit.

• Does cake 2.3b1 have b frames in 720p? Only I am sick and tired of 1080 with all that stutteryness, have tested extensively and I can truly see that much at normal viewing between 1080 and 720, only when I have my nose against the screen and the most demanding stuff. The 720p/50 is buttery smooth, can be thrown around and to cap it all the af works so effectively too.

• Finally got a chance to test out Cake 2.2. So far VERY pleased with the results.

Screen shot 2012-04-20 at 6.29.17 PM.png
    1048 x 584 - 1M