Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Lavalier Showdown
  • 44 Replies sorted by
  • I know nothing about the MKE 2 iPhone gadget above but I wasted money on the Rode lav that was a similar product, the hiss was terrible and using a phone to record isn't as convenient as some might think, searching for menus etc.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the cheap, handmade Giant Squid Lav, it gets very good reviews and is dirt cheap. A sound guy in his home makes them. I plan to combine it with a H1 Zoom, it seems a great solution.

• thanks for that video. sorry, can i ask why you're using Zoom H1 and not a more recent version of the Zoom recorders?

• Its not an old version it a lower end model. I think you are confused the H2, H4 etc are actually different more higher end models. Ultimately though the H1 does the job for recording a lav cause its smaller and cheaper, you don't really want to have a bulky recorder for this situation, can be slipped in a pocket etc.

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/product-accessories

• ok, thanks!

• Just recently bought a Countryman B2D hypercardioid for noisy environments. The quick take is that it works where an omni is useless and a boom would attract too much attention. First cut at noise reduction using Izotope RX4 sounds pretty good. I'll be posting samples after I finish current project.

• @4CardsMan Would definitely be interested in hearing that test. What do you think of working with Izotope RX4 in terms of ease of use and effectiveness?

• Does anybody know which mike is sold with the Rode Link Film maker kit? is it the lavalier? the pin mic? another one?

• I have one it is the lavalier mic as specs above, comes with the foam and dead cat style wind shield as well all in a nice little bag :)

• @matt_gh2 - hoping to post next week. I found a tutorial on youtube that helped a lot with RX4. Auto settings for its denoiser are not good enough with a really noisy clip. Using the time-frequency selector and a spectral denoise works much better.

• Cool - thanks for tips. Will probably be trying RX4 out pretty soon.

• @4CardsMan looking forward to the post — I could have used one of those recently I think.

@suresure123 I actually picked up a second H1 recently — I was really impressed with the sound both internally and off the pin. Got bombed for RF filming near a military base and never want to worry about that again, so having two H1s provides a lot of piece of mind. The craziest use so far though has to be putting it in a condom and using it dual system with a gopro for a snorkeling shoot where sync was needed above watter. Worked great.

• Sennheiser ClipMic

• Voice Technologies VT500

• Another comparison