Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Olympus EM-5 topic
  • 386 Replies sorted by
  • Like all other Olympus bodies, I guess no IBIS for video recording. Just software stabilization.

• video clips I've seen of IS in action have been very impressive, and not subject to the strange contortions you normally get with software IS.

on further research I am positive video mode still uses IBIS, as someone has the upside IBIS issue on thier video clip

• Did you use a telephoto lens like 135mm at shutter speed around 1/60?

It'll be difficult to tell when using a wide angle at fast shutter speed.

Frankly I will be surprised if IBIS works during video recording.

• There is one way to find out for sure. Attach SLR lens with an adapter. While recording video, detach the lens from the adapter. See if the sensor is dancing or not ;)

People complained about humming noise from E-M5. Olympus said it's from IBIS operation. There is no noise while recording video.

Who wanna find out about it?

This video shows how much the sensor moves when the half shutter is pressed for taking photo. But sound seems muted.

• BIG SHIT: no IS when using an adapter!!

this morning I mounted the Canon FD 135mm F2.5 to the OM-D and there was zero effect from the IBIS. checked the settings, was set to is1.

Next I mounted the Panasonic 14-140mm, turned its own OIS off and - voila, bellyful 5-achsis IBIS.

I need to figure that out now. Maybe there is something like "shoot without lens" buried in the menus some where.

I only had the camera set to video mode by now. When I switch it on, here is no noise. The noise starts when I access the main menu! Strange.

• Could be this way to force you to buy m43 lenses.

• well, still no IBIS without a electronic m43 lens WTF. Tried the Pana 20mm F1.7. and here the IBIS works as well. With the 20mm the IBIS is like a running-without-moving nightmare. Very delayed purpose motion ...

• Does IBIS work for taking photo with vintage lens?

Hopefully there's a menu item that enables IBIS for recording video with non-electronic-m43 lens.

• BTW how did you confirm IBIS works for 20.7?

Also did you try 43 lenses?

• if IBIS works, there is zero wiggle visible. Its day and night.

Olympus sells an adapter for old OM lenses that has a chip build in (MMF-2 UM), kinda like those focus confirm chips in canon adapters. I think that chip makes the difference ...

• Did you hear any noise from the body when recording video with 20.7?

If IBIS works, it would generate humming noise. Otherwise it might be IS based on software just like all other m43 bodies from Olympus.

• Let me ask you one more favor. Try your 17.5mm 0.95. See if video frames get stabilized. If yes, it's 100% software based.

• even if I use a m43 lens where I can clearly see the IS kicking in, there is no noise. No matter if I'm in video or photo mode. The noise only occurred when I pressed the menu button ...

It could be that the IS in video mode is an old software only approach. That would be kind of a let down!

• yes, I'll soon give the 17.5mm a try when I'm back from work ...

• When you have time, please try it in a very quiet room. Otherwise the noise from sensor shift can't be heard when you use 20.7mm for taking photo. Thanks for the test.

• BTW I heard E-M5 gives 13 stops dynamic range on RAW photos. Amazing.

• @stonebat the EM-5 indeed uses sensor IS for video, which is a first for an a Olympus m43 body.

@Alex, did you set the focal length manually for the non-native lens'?

• Man this 5-axis IS is the shit.

• @joesiv If that's true, that's great. Where exactly in the menu to set the focal length? Thanks.

• Yes, you can Set the focal length but it doesn't help. No IS with adapted lenses so far ...

• Bummer. Olympus gotta fix the issue.

What about 17.5mm test? Did it stabilize the footage?

• ok, here are the facts:

• IBIS is working for all types of lenses but only in photo mode. I had to reset all the setting and than the IBIS came back to life.
    • the video mode is using software IS but only for lenses that can be identified by the camera.

• no 5-achsis IBIS in video mode

• no IS at all for manual lenses in video mode
  • Boooo! That's more than a bummer. Cheers for clarifying that, Alex. However, the software stabilization seems to be impressively effective as we may see from the sample videos.

• @Alex

This is extremely bad news.
    Pentax cameras use stabilizer quite normally in video.

• Official Olympus page says E-M5 uses “Image sensor shift type for movie & still, 5-axis image stabilization”. So it’s just half true.

I watched a few youtube clips from E-M5. Definitely there were less rolling shutter and jello effects, but there seemed pulses of zooming in/out effects. At first I thought it must have been lens breathing. Now it makes sense. Software IS. No difference from E-P3. Seriously why didn’t name it E-P5 instead of E-M5?

@Alex Hope you feel better about finding about it sooner rather than later.