Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Olympus EM-5 topic
  • 386 Replies sorted by
  • sorry I can't test this, I returned my E-M5 to amazon

EDIT @cocute thanks for the links! this difference between the stills field of view and that of video is what I noticed when switching between stills and video mode.

• @Alex or anyone else with the EM5, just curious how the field of view is affected when going from still photos to video mode. With all olympus m43 bodies they have a standard 4:3 ratio sensor, so cropping is enevitable when doing 16:9, but is there extra being cropped?

The test:

shoot a still photo

shoot video at the same location

See if and how much the horizontal resolution is affected.

I have a hunch that the amount of change isn't enough for a strictly software based IS, but I could be wrong.

• @Kitano

Because your needs are not the same. My family is 3 generations on Video and Photography, i'm a photographer my father a video guy and we have different needs for tools. For me the ergonomics of the OMD with Grip are killer not so for video. A good shoulder design is a must for video, you can't make everyone happy, but like you say, like Apple build one tool for each job. MP3 = IPOD Phone = IPhone Laptop = MacBookPro etc....

you don't see Apple building only one product. You already have the product you search, its called BlackMagic. A camera built for video/movies not stills.

In a perfect world you would have a stills/Video/Cinema camera with a 10-300mm f 1 lens with a 35mm killer sensor, but the world is just what it is, Real.

Regards.

• Two videos more:

And the better video that i have see with E-M5:

• Fair argument @original_joao but the times have changed. Apple has kind of the push the bar when we talk about personal gadgets. If a phone (iphone and nokia pureview) could take quality pictures and videos then the dedicated cameras have to push the bar higher to just basically survive.

The sensor in m43 still cameras is same as af100 so why not give the enduser all the features (higher bitrates) and create a killer product.

The marketing guys should not make decisions and let the company geeks decide on features.

Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Woz are the reason everyone in this world owns a pc otherwise it could have only be owned by elites.

• @cocute nice find! I guess thats the solution.

• The problem with people nowadays is that they use photographic camera's to compete and compare with video cameras. Come on guys, thats a really pointless exercise, the OM-D is a photographic camera that adds extra video capabilities. RED? Are you kidding me? Black magic and good Sony's are there for the grab, 3000$, each tool has its place, the OM-D is a photographic excelent one and we have excelent choices on the Sony and Blackmagic camp. The OM-D and GH2(+14-140) kit stands for a nice 2000$, and they share lenses, so enjoy each tool for what they were meant to. "The Bad"? be realistic Alex.

We have a pretty good system to work with, each to its own.

• @Alex
    and... if use adapter m4/3 with chip, is possible works IS for non m43 lenses in video mode?

here chips to m4/3: http://store.tagotech.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_80&products_id=526

Other solution: Hacking this inconveniences. :-)

• @Alex +1. It's a nice photo camera.

• The OM-D is awesome but its not cutting it for video at the moment. Not until it records with higher bit rate. Sure enough there are subjects that require no high bit rate. So you could already shoot a movie with a RED Epic or Alexa style dynamic range. Well exposed faces and still retain textured clouds in the background.

E-M5 from a video point of view:

the good

• high DR
    • strong IS with native m43 lenses
    • seems to have long battery life. Battery situation is much better than with the GH2 (third party compatibility, grip that holds extra batteries - E-M5 should be a perfect option for time lapse)
    • the tighter crop makes the vignetting of some great 16mm c-mount lenses disappear (some just fail to cover the over sized sensor of the GH2)

the bad

• low bit rate
    • 30fps only
    • no IS for non m43 lenses in video mode
    • no focus assistant for non m43 lenses (zoom in mode)
    • no access to manual controls during recording (my experience)
    • guides and histogram disappear while recording
  • After using the GX1 for a while it took me some time to get used to the OM-D. Try to use the super panel, its a nice design. Still figuring out how the focus points work though.........

Overall it's a very nice camera, I will make a short movie this week.

• Alex, this is one of the most customizable cameras i know. The OM-D is one of the most difficult cameras to understand at the start. But in 2-3 days you can do anything with everything the camera offers. One sugestion, the fn2 button should respond to multifunction option, when you press the button it does exactly what the GH2 does with the push button. My tests with the OMD differ from yours, but i can't upload anything yet. Maybe when i have time, i'll do a quick review from a photographers point of view and another in video's. Be sure to watch and read steve huff review he's quite honest in all articles. Regards. Still here's a good examplo of IBIS on the OMD

P.S Read the OM-D advance manual, most of your doubts are only that, doubts.

João

• this is my favorite pro argument from the dpreview review:

"Art Filters can help produce interesting results from dull subjects"

man, wtf

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusem5/22

• A friend of mine just got his new E-M5, I bet we'll have some fun time doing "shoot-outs" ;-)

(At last both of us may have bought the right camera, as he's more into stills, and I'm more into video.)

• well, the E-M5 seems to have no aliasing/moire.

E-M5_aliasing.png
    1920 x 1296 - 2M
  • I didn't test for aliasing/moire in particular. I will brows my footage and see if I can spot some (returned my E-M5 today) ...

• @Alex What about aliasing/moire on E-M5?

• Test video E-M5 vs Fuji X-Pro 1

• Some user testing showed E-M5 has much better DR than Fuji X100. It will be great for timelapse.

• ... and that could be the reason why Olympus officially says 5-achsis IS is used for both, video and stills ...

• @Alex E-M5 might not move the 5 axis IS, but it might detect the shaking directions and feed the real-time info to in-body-software-IS which helps minimize the shake and the rolling shutter effect more effectively than post-processing corrections. You know... Nintendo Wii controller can detect x/y/z rotation movement. Just a speculation. But I sure wish Panasonic implements such feature.

• +1 lack of 24p/25p is the only thing holding me back from buying this camera.

• Whatever it is - it works fantastic. My guess is that unlike conventional software IS that detects motion based on the flat image sequence this thing might read 3D information from 5-achsis motion sensors to calculate the compensation for motion and rotation. Even though the sensor itself is not moving to compensate. At least this explains the unrivaled precision of Oly's IS in video mode.